PDA

View Full Version : MC Owners with Dogs!

wakechic2786
03-24-2008, 09:19 PM
As you probably know, I just got my mc and it has white interior. I have a German Shepard/Lab mix who weighs over 80lbs. I want to take him to the lake this summer but I am scared to let him in the boat. It doesn't have a single tear in the interior so I am scared his sharp claws might cause one. Have you ever had a dog mess up your upholstery?

stuartmcnair
03-24-2008, 09:51 PM
my German goes in the boat if she wants...part of the family. Keep the nails clipped and it should be fine

X2M
03-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome wakechic. Congrats on the boat. :)

I have 104 pound dog that goes out on the boat with us. No issues with the interior so far. I do keep his nails trimmed up. He only leaves dog hair in the boat and scratches on the swim deck. Lol...:D

michael freeman
03-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I haven't had any issues with my Giant Schnauzer on the boat.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/michaelfreeman_2006/chillingontheswimplatform.jpg

You can use a dremel tool (w/ mini drum sander) to clean up claws, but there is a real risk with long haired dogs. The hair can get wrapped around the shaft/sanding drum, and it can tear out a plug of hair and flesh. I have seen one of those cheesy "only available on TV" commercials, that has a dremel type tool with a plastic shroud that helps prevent this. I think my groomer is using this now, because my dogs claws now come back "rounded". They will sharpen as she walks, but it is a lot softer then the normal clippers. Note she never damaged my vinyl with clipped paws.

Ole Miss Rebels
03-24-2008, 10:08 PM
welcome wakechic. you will find a lot of mastercraft specific knowledgeable people over here. good luck with your boat and your dog. we have five yorkies but we can only take one at a time due to the hyperactivity level they opereate at. oh, and good luck to the gamecocks this year, unless they meet up with the rebs. maybe ya'll can help send phil fulmer to his retirement before he is ready.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I haven't had any issues with my Giant Schnauzer on the boat.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/michaelfreeman_2006/chillingontheswimplatform.jpg

You can use a dremel tool (w/ mini drum sander) to clean up claws, but there is a real risk with long haired dogs. The hair can get wrapped around the shaft/sanding drum, and it can tear out a plug of hair and flesh. I have seen one of those cheesy "only available on TV" commercials, that has a dremel type tool with a plastic shroud that helps prevent this. I think my groomer is using this now, because my dogs claws now come back "rounded". They will sharpen as she walks, but it is a lot softer then the normal clippers. Note she never damaged my vinyl with clipped paws.

now that pic is just too cool Micheal. awesome.

Dogs RULE!!!!

TMCNo1
03-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Dogs RULE!!!!

Don't let Skidog hear that, he'll be humping yer lag!:rolleyes: :D

D3skier
03-24-2008, 10:47 PM

Harold you just aint right!!!.... :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

and don't forget to invite her to CSM'08

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-24-2008, 11:04 PM

He alraedy does. thats why I buy so much Raid, and why his eyes are always so red.

fintek9
03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
I love my dog but NO. hairloosen-nailscratchen-wanna go in the water-wannago back out, want in, want out, whats that? what's that? what's that? pases back and frigin forth ALL THE TIME. Our dog is a 24/7 sheadin machine! Pontoons her ride!

Michael, that picture rocks!

Ski Bum
03-24-2008, 11:34 PM
I have A big German shepard would not let him in the boat. I love him and he is part of the family. But does not under stand that he cant burn out on the seats to jump in the lake. Take a chance I guess. Mans best friend. All ways fixable the boat is gust money.

Ski Bum
03-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Just money

fintek9
03-24-2008, 11:41 PM
We tandom with our pontoon just to get the dog out with us! good enough for her, good enough for me. It's easier to clean the toon with a vacuum cleaner then the MC. I to like my vinyl in one piece:o

Doug G
03-25-2008, 07:58 AM
I have a lab and a beagle. I love my dogs. No dogs in the bote for me. No hair, stinky wet dog or nails on the vinyl in the bote for me. If I ask my passengers to take their shoes off why would I bring the dog in?!?

That being said many do it without issue.

Doug G
03-26-2008, 09:38 PM
I have heard a skidog is good for your upholstery however

cbryan70
03-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Do the Giant Schnauzers like the water? We currently have a mini and he is terrified of that water....Once I move out I would love to get a dog that likes the water and doesnt shed i was thinking a laberdoodle but i love schnauzers so if they like the water that may be an option

bcampbe7
03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Our 70lb lab went on our boat quite-a-few times. Never a problem.

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=24&cat=500&ppuser=13

ORX-1
03-26-2008, 09:59 PM
I have a 4 year old boxer and he has been on the boat since day one. We got him shoes at PetCo for under 20 bucks. they go on easy and he doesn't mind them at all. Actually he wears them in the house as well! A easy way to protect your seats.

flipper
03-26-2008, 10:00 PM
My 75lb lab mix always goes with me in the boat.

X2M
03-26-2008, 10:06 PM
I have a 4 year old boxer and he has been on the boat since day one. We got him shoes at PetCo for under 20 bucks. they go on easy and he doesn't mind them at all. Actually he wears them in the house as well! A easy way to protect your seats.

I tried some of those booties for my dog to go in the snow, never thought about using them on the boat. I will have to try them when we go to the lake this year. He doesn't like them much, pulls them off after about 5 minutes. And my husband thinks they make him look gay. :D LOL!

What part of the 'WestCoast' are you from?

flipper
03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Then again, he thinks he's one of the kids too. No problems yet at all other than dog hair. He stays on the floor for the most part, but will come up on the seat too. These are from when he was a pup

SkiDog
03-26-2008, 10:27 PM
I have heard a skidog is good for your upholstery however
You gots that right!:D

Willski
03-26-2008, 11:54 PM
I love my dog, but she's not getting in the boat.

fbroen
03-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Our dog always comes out on the boat with us. Never had any issues.

She just helped us put some break-in hours on the new one this past week end (pic).

No booties for her -- she finds it hot enough as it is without mitts on ...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z112/fbroen/_IMG_6321.jpg

NWMC
03-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I have two boxers who have not and will not see the inside of the MC. When I go fishing, they go out in the whaler with me.

rodecker1978
03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Our 70lb lab went on our boat quite-a-few times. Never a problem.

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=24&cat=500&ppuser=13

Great pic of your lab! She is a beauty!!!

chudson
03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the MasterCraft mothership wakechic and and just a word of advice from experience, have a plan to get your pup back in the boat if he jumps in the water because some dogs can't just climb up on the platform. You may have to help push him up and onto the platform and if you don't have the "big gun arms" it might be real hard for you to do unless you have help! Just a word of advice. Great lookin boat too!!!

Rycmoore
03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I have a 1 year old english bulldog. She goes out on the boat with us every weekend. Keep their nails trimmed and you shouldnt have any problems.

Maristar210
03-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Where I go my rescue dog Baxter goes. Bought him for $50 from the pound to save his life and then spent $2500 keeping him alive after he developed parvo. Never before has a dog cemented himself in my heart like him. Here he is helping me re-hab my pontoon a few weeks ago

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/baxter.jpg

chudson
03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Great lookin pooch Maristar!!!

wakeX2wake
03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
ya'll have good looking pets and i'm a big time dog lover myself... BUT... no way no how... no dogs on my boat... i've replaced a seat this year and it ran me $320 and i'm not doing it again!!!... especially b/c fido (or Wake in my case) decides to chomp or scratch one

Datdude
03-27-2008, 02:37 PM
We used to take our 75lb lab/husky mix with us, but the hair clean up took longer than we were actually out on the water using the boat. We did have a funny incident happen though. The first time we took her out in the boat we used a really shallow launch with a short dock. I was coming into the launch, shut the engine off, crawled up onto the bow and slid into the water to catch the boat. Our dog who was less than a year old at the time jumped over the windshield (99 Sportstar closed bow), tried stopping on the wet fiberglass bow and went face first into the water. I could not stop laughing:D ....then I remembered she had to ride home in my truck soaking wet:rolleyes:.

rodecker1978
03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
We used to take our 75lb lab/husky mix with us, but the hair clean up took longer than we were actually out on the water using the boat. We did have a funny incident happen though. The first time we took her out in the boat we used a really shallow launch with a short dock. I was coming into the launch, shut the engine off, crawled up onto the bow and slid into the water to catch the boat. Our dog who was less than a year old at the time jumped over the windshield (99 Sportstar closed bow), tried stopping on the wet fiberglass bow and went face first into the water. I could not stop laughing:D ....then I remembered she had to ride home in my truck soaking wet:rolleyes:.

Holy crap dude! Didn't she scratch up the fiberglass on your bow? I think I'd have been laughing my a$$ off too if she didn't scratch up my boat :purplaugh

michael freeman
03-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Do the Giant Schnauzers like the water? We currently have a mini and he is terrified of that water...

Mine does, but she prefers running and playing in streams, and laying in the water (ref. picture) She isn't big into swimming where she can't touch the bottom.

Talk to the rescue orgs for Giants (or any breed) before getting one. They will warn you about all the down sides, and what to expect. Giants are a perfect match for me. I'm the guy at the party playing with your dog, while everyone else is socializing. My Giant is my shadow and I take her everywhere. She is great at forcing me to socialize because the girls love to come over and pet her. (good for me, and she loves the attention)

BTW, they were designed to be guard dogs, so socialization to humans and other dogs is very important to keep them friendly and social.

michael freeman
03-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Where I go my rescue dog Baxter goes. Bought him for $50 from the pound to save his life and then spent $2500 keeping him alive after he developed parvo. Never before has a dog cemented himself in my heart like him. Here he is helping me re-hab my pontoon a few weeks ago

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/baxter.jpg

I hear you, those pound dogs have huge hearts and know when they have it good. My first Giant was a pound rescue.

I just dropped $4500 (over 6 months) on the one in the above pictures, fighting an injury/infection that turned out to be cancer. Two surgeries later and we think we got it all out of her.

They are worth the money, but I still can't believe I spent that much on my free dog. ;)

Maristar210
03-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I hear you, those pound dogs have huge hearts and know when they have it good. My first Giant was a pound rescue.

I just dropped $4500 (over 6 months) on the one in the above pictures, fighting an injury/infection that turned out to be cancer. Two surgeries later and we think we got it all out of her.

They are worth the money, but I still can't believe I spent that much on my free dog. ;)

I hear you Michael, Free dog? no such thing:D

Man does this dog live to make us love him, uncanny really:cool:

atlfootr
03-28-2008, 12:30 AM
As you probably know, I just got my mc and it has white interior. I have a German Shepard/Lab mix who weighs over 80lbs. I want to take him to the lake this summer but I am scared to let him in the boat.
Sell the boat and keep the dog ... DOGS RULE :cool:

Kathi G
03-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I have a lab and a beagle. I love my dogs. No dogs in the bote for me. No hair, stinky wet dog or nails on the vinyl in the bote for me. If I ask my passengers to take their shoes off why would I bring the dog in?!?

That being said many do it without issue.

interesting.....he lets me on the boat and I have all those features. LOL

ARE YOU READY FOR CSM!!!!! Sing it with me (rythem is are you ready for some football) ok let's go , ARE YOU READY FOR CSM!!!!!!!! :D

M-Funf
03-28-2008, 07:06 PM
We had a friends 80 Lb. Border Collie on the boat a few times. Didn't have any problems. But, I should note that I don't have much vinyl in my boat, so she just laid in the back on the floor. She'd sleep while we were running, and we'd throw her out of the boat when we were sitting...

I guess I might feel different if I had a new boat with perfect vinyl...

You could always put some kind of neoprene slip cover over the vinyl in the back and limit the dog to the back seat :confused:

damaged442
03-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Sorry, no dogs in the boat. My buddy has a huge English bulldog, and he stays on the dock!! I like people to take their shoes off too. It's hard enough to keep the vinyl in good shape. It's worse when the vinyl is from 1989!!

georgea0731
03-28-2008, 10:38 PM
She hates it when we just sit. Thanks for sharing your boat buddy's.