PDA

View Full Version : polk momo mmc650 in diywake cans

cal2vin
03-24-2008, 06:03 PM
I have 4 polk momo mmc650's and am planning on mounting them in the speaker cans from diywake.com. We they arrived and I started to mount then I figured out that even though they were 6 1/2 inch speakers the holes didnt fit at all onto the can. (look at my picture gallery and check the descriptions) They came with these 1 inch thick spacers that would allow me to mount it but they stick out so much and they are made of plastice with im not sure is sturdy enough. Has anyone else had this same problem? If sound did you use the included spacers? and how did you secure the crossovers in the cans?

cal2vin
03-25-2008, 09:01 AM
anyone? any suggestions?

rwoznock
03-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I bought the same cans and found out the MOMO's I purchased didn't fit in them. I didn't want to use that plastic spacer cause it makes the speaker stick out more and looked kinda weird, so I bought a piece of 1/4 by 1 1/2 aluminum at home depot. I cut 4 peices at somewhere around an inch in length, and bolted them into the cans on the inside of the can rim, checking to make sure the speaker would fit into the space without any problems. I had to grind them kinda oval shaped to fit perfectly. Once I knew they would fit I wired the terminals up and sprayed the inside with that foam spray to 1/2 of the way (after it dried) Be careful not to spray too much in cause it really expands alot!. When it was still wet I stuck the crossover into the foam ands that holds it. Then I mounted the MOMO's to the aluminum spacers I installed. I used locking nuts on the aluminum part so they did not vibrate loose. Once complete, I mounted them on the tower and they sound great! I have a picture of them mounted on the tower in my gallery. Hope this helps you.

Monte
03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Glad you posted this, I was about to make a headache of a purchase.

rwoznock
03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
I know what you mean Monte, it seemed like such a simple thing when I was buying the stuff, but the installation was a bit more than I expected!

cal2vin
03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
thanks rzownock that helps a lot. I think I will try to do something like that too. Just curious what amp are you using?

cal2vin
03-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I bought the same cans and found out the MOMO's I purchased didn't fit in them. I didn't want to use that plastic spacer cause it makes the speaker stick out more and looked kinda weird, so I bought a piece of 1/4 by 1 1/2 aluminum at home depot. I cut 4 peices at somewhere around an inch in length, and bolted them into the cans on the inside of the can rim, checking to make sure the speaker would fit into the space without any problems. I had to grind them kinda oval shaped to fit perfectly. Once I knew they would fit I wired the terminals up and sprayed the inside with that foam spray to 1/2 of the way (after it dried) Be careful not to spray too much in cause it really expands alot!. When it was still wet I stuck the crossover into the foam ands that holds it. Then I mounted the MOMO's to the aluminum spacers I installed. I used locking nuts on the aluminum part so they did not vibrate loose. Once complete, I mounted them on the tower and they sound great! I have a picture of them mounted on the tower in my gallery. Hope this helps you.

Actually Im not sure Im understanding what you are saying could you give me some dimensions like in Word. Or just explain it a little more

puck_11
03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah I had a lot of talking with the guy at diywake over these speaker cans. He kept telling me that I "must" have the 5 1/4 inch speakers because his were 6 1/2" cans. Turns out that they are modeled after a 6 1/2" speaker that is actually a 6 3/4" speaker. He really needs to change his website. You aren't the only that has had problems. I took the easy route and bought 6 3/4" speakers

cal2vin
03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Ya I wish I would have known that in the first place. O well I think I will be able to make it work anyway. Thanks a lot!

rwoznock
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I use 2 Rockford Fosgate amps 1 - 360 aII for the sub and interior speakers in the boat and the second is a 160 aII for the tower speakers. I went to Home Depot and bought a strip of aluminum that was 1/4 in thick by 1 1/2 inches wide by 36 inches long. I placed the speakers inside the opening and measured the distance from where the hole in the speaker is to the inside rim of the can and added 1/4 inch. If I remember correctly they had to be 1 1/4 inches long. I cut 4 of them and rounded the squared edges off the top so it would fit the contour of the inside of the can, then on the other side I removed some material from the middle to fit the speaker housing. When I had that done I marked the can front surface where the speakers 4 bolts would be. then I placed the peice I made into the underside of the can and clamped it with a c clamp tightly. Then I drilled 1 hole in the center of the handmade bracket and face of the can. I used locking nuts on the inside and tightened them down. Then repeat this step for the other 3 parts, where your marks are located. After all 4 were sucured and tight, I placed the speaker inside lining up the speaker mounting holes with the handmade brackets you just attached to the cans. Then drill out the hole in the handmade bracket and fasten the speaker to the can with screws. When you put the grilles on you may have to notch them a little for the thickness of the screw heads. It actually worked prefectly!

cal2vin
03-26-2008, 06:01 PM
O ok ic now thanks. Did you use any washers to fill the gap between the speaker and the aluminum mount?

rwoznock
03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
No because it fit perfectly without them. I think your brackets will probably be a little smaller then mine cause the MOMO's were only 6 inches round. That means yours should probably be a little smaller, maybe around an inch or so. Looking at your photo's, what I did should work fine for you.

swatguy
03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Calvin

You ever get those up and running?

As to the cans.......The guy that makes the gear from DIY used to do it for Boss Wakeboard Accessories(not boss stereo). The cans were originally designed for the 6 1/2 MB Quart Speakers. The problem these days is that Polk as well as MB quart have changed the dimensions of their 6 1/2 inch speakers. So now you are more likely to go with the 6 3/4 and they should work..........I am running the MB Quart NKD 116(oversized 6 1/2 but not quite 6 3/4 and the fit in there perfectly.

But agian more and more people today are finding that those cans just wont hold a regular 6 1/2 speaker.

cal2vin
03-30-2008, 08:37 PM
ya I am doing the aluminum mounts described in a couple posts earlier. I think it will work out perfectly.