PDA

View Full Version : 2003 X-2 -- looking used, what to look for?

brucemac
03-24-2008, 03:43 PM
looking at an 2003 X-2.

any tips on what to look for?

this one is pretty basic, in fact no ballast or perfect pass. does however have the mcx upgrade and that's really the only reason i'm looking at it. they claim the boat was ordered without ballast on purpose because they lake they live on has wake enhancement restrictions.

i know the perfect pass is no big deal, but what do you guys think about no ballast? it would be something i'd want to add, or pay to have added down the road. would the aftermarket addition effect resale?

not crazy about the 03 towers, but as i said, the boat appears to be in pretty great shape and good or bad, has low hours (less than 150)

anyway, if you could share some insight on that particular year and maybe some stuff to watch out for i'd much appreciate it.

corey
03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
As you stated adding Perfect Pass is easy, so thats a non issue.

As far as ballast goes you'll want it. Without having any existing pumps your going to have your work cut out for you although you can also plumb in what you want (i.e. bigger system) A buddy of mine has a 2000 X-Star (same boat, had ski locker ballast and no rear ballast) He installed his own system which added 750 lb bags to either side of the engine and the wake is simply awesome. I have another buddy with an 06' X-1 (again same boat) and his boat has the factory hard tanks removed and the 750 lb bags plumbed in, again truly amazing wake.

As far as resale I wouldnt worry to much about it as long as the install is not totally ghetto.

brucemac
03-24-2008, 05:20 PM
what do you think I'd have to spend to have a 3 bag setup plumbed in and installed with switches at the dash? (someone who knew *** they were doing)?

KnoxX2
03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I would say around $1500.00 for parts and labor!

fbroen
03-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Sold an 03 X2 this past fall. It had 550 hours on it. Only issue we ever had with the boat was the alernator bracket bolts sheared off. (There is a very informative post somewhere on this board about the alternator bracket and the redesigned upgrade to it).

I would not worry about the ballast not being stock for resale. Since many people rip out the stock tanks in the back to put in larger sacks anyway it may in fact up resale if system done nicely.

Oh, and I like the wake -- replaced it with another 205v...:D

Good luck.

erkoehler
03-24-2008, 07:38 PM
what do you think I'd have to spend to have a 3 bag setup plumbed in and installed with switches at the dash? (someone who knew *** they were doing)?

$1500-2000 depending on what bags, labor, wiring, etc.

brucemac
03-24-2008, 09:38 PM
how 'bout for a bimini?

sand2snow22
03-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Bruce,

Are you looking at this one? Sounds like a Lake Oswego boat that never got used. Lake Oswego ordinance to disconnect ballast and wedge. Boats have to be inspected. So they're not lying. Where are you in the PNW? I'm in Portland, I have a 2005 X2 and I can take a look at it for you.

Looks like a good deal. Are Ryan and Morgan selling it? If so, those guys should know how to install ballast systems, bimini's, etc. Work it into the deal. You can also upgrade to the clamping racks that I believe came out in 2004!

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/615820324.html

brucemac
03-24-2008, 09:56 PM
yup that be the one.

what do you guys think?

it's between that an an 01 SAN with about the same hours

the SAN's pretty well loaded, heater, shower, pp, ballast, etc. and is less.

what can you tell me about those guys?

feel free to pm me

sand2snow22
03-24-2008, 10:06 PM
It's not this SAN is it? This one has 436 hours on it, the MC has less than 100.

I know Ryan and Morgan used to work at my local MC dealer before they went out on their own. They worked on my boat a lot and always went the extra mile.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/613969445.html

brucemac
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
nah, not that one, it's a blue one out of san diego. 80 hours. emaculate.