PDA

View Full Version : More fun trailer brake BS

sk8salomon
03-23-2008, 08:37 PM
I bought an '02 trailer to hold my '07 PS197. I got a really good deal on the trailer and saved a few bucks. I asked the seller if the brakes worked and he said yes. I later hit the truck brakes hard just to see if I could feel the trailer brakes kick in and nothing. After I stopped for gas, I looked under the trailer and found one of the brake lines to the caliper just hanging. OH GREAT!!! Anyways, after trying to screw the brake line back into the caliper thread I realized the threads on the caliper fitting were stripped. I later grabbed another wrench and removed the banjo bolt and brass fitting to get a closer look. #1, the threads on the block are obviously so stripped i doubt you could re-tap it. #2, the inside flare is smashed down even if i could have got the brake line to tighten, i doubt and fluid would pass thru to the caliper. My thoughts were this, the PO put the boat in and out with a tractor. Instead of installing the brake stop brkt or 12-volt wire, I think they just removed the line and let the fluid run out. Easy way to make the trailer brakes stop locking up on the ramp i guess? Now all my brake lines are rusted to hell!:mad: Anyways, I went to 2 local hardware stores with no luck on the little brass block. They advised me to see a trailer supply store so I went there with no luck. Then called Rambo Marine (the southeast's best MC dealer IMO!!!:D ) and talked to Lex in parts. No luck on the block itself but he can sell me an entire caliper for $60! Cheap I know, but who needs the whole caliper? Anybody know where I can get this brass block with banjo bolt hole and flare seat for brake line? Much appreciated and sorry so long!

sk8salomon
03-23-2008, 08:43 PM
here's a close up pic of the block

TMCNo1
03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
I would think that most anywhere that sells brake parts can get them if they don't carry them in stock. Call around and talk to anyone who makes up brake lines, even try Summit Racing. As a example, you can get s/s lines with the banjo fitting made onto the end of the line, http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RUS%2D692290&N=700+4294924496+115&autoview=sku, just call them and they can hook you up.

ncsone
03-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Might try this trailer parts website: http://shop.easternmarine.com/

sk8salomon
03-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Might try this trailer parts website: http://shop.easternmarine.com/

no worky:(

Vern Swieringa
03-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I had to replace all the calipers on my '03 dual axle trailer, becuase they all began to lock-up. I would replace and then no worries.

Vern Swieringa
03-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I had to replace all the calipers on my '03 dual axle trailer, because they all began to lock-up. I would replace and then no worries.

WTRSK1R
03-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I am with Vern. My '04 calipers started to lock up for no real reason, and I had to replace them with a newer style. If you put one in, I would do both just to avoid future issues. On the flip side, Reliable Tool makes the axel and would likely have the bolt you are looking for.

I can't find the number right now, but I know it listed in the forum on MYMC's site. Otherwise, I will try to add it to this tread later today because I am pretty sure I have it at my office.

Steve

WTRSK1R
03-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Found the number. Its Reliable Tool and Machine at 260-347-4000

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Do yourself a favor and get the updated calipers. I'd suspect the reason the lines were off is because they are the "bad" calipers that have a tendency to lock up.

sk8salomon
03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
what is the issue with "bad calipers" on the '02 PS190/197 trailers?

sk8salomon
03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
. On the flip side, Reliable Tool makes the axel and would likely have the bolt you are looking for.

i don't need a bolt or an axle, i'm not sure what you are talking about:confused:

Sodar
03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Unique Functional Products (http://www.ufpnet.com) made your brake parts. Any trailer shop that sells UFP parts should have the block you are speaking of.

Good Luck!

*Note: their website has the old multi-peice caliper that they used to make. Yours is the single-peice unit, that they started making in 2005.

sk8salomon
03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Unique Functional Products (http://www.ufpnet.com) made your brake parts. Any trailer shop that sells UFP parts should have the block you are speaking of.

Good Luck!

*Note: their website has the old multi-peice caliper that they used to make. Yours is the single-peice unit, that they started making in 2005.

ok, thanks, i tried calling but they are closed. i'll try again tomorrow.

Sodar
03-24-2008, 06:11 PM
You sure? It is only 2pm here...

sk8salomon
03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
You sure? It is only 2pm here...

i called the TN branch since its just down the road. hours on their machine said 8-4:30 EST.

Sodar
03-24-2008, 08:36 PM
i called the TN branch since its just down the road. hours on their machine said 8-4:30 EST.

I never noticed there was a TN division! I always just thought they were in San Diego, CA... my bad! :o

sk8salomon
03-25-2008, 01:00 PM
I never noticed there was a TN division! I always just thought they were in San Diego, CA... my bad! :o

no prob Sodar, i finally got a hold of them and then was transferred to their parts distributor (Waymire) who knew exactly what i needed. Had the block in stock for $2.85!!! Thanks again.

sk8salomon
03-30-2008, 09:52 PM
installed the new block and banjo bolt this weekend. i loosened the bleeder screw on that caliper and pumped the brake master cyl forever until i finally saw fluid come out the bleeder screw. i think i am lucky the caliper was not seized up. both calipers were obviously working because i stuck my finger thru the wheel after 5 minutes of hard stopping and felt a sizzle on the rotor:D . next project is to rewire my old 4wire plug to a new 5 wire with backup lights.

TMCNo1
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
installed the new block and banjo bolt this weekend. i loosened the bleeder screw on that caliper and pumped the brake master cyl forever until i finally saw fluid come out the bleeder screw. i think i am lucky the caliper was not seized up. both calipers were obviously working because i stuck my finger thru the wheel after 5 minutes of hard stopping and felt a sizzle on the rotor:D . next project is to rewire my old 4wire plug to a new 5 wire with backup lights.

It's good to hear you got the needed parts and got them working! There is nothing like real brakes.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
At least you know where to get the new calipers from when they lock up.
Keep the number handy.

mayo93prostar
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
fyi, I replaced all the brake components on my 93 trailer that had UFP parts and I got better pricing from Dorsey Trailer in Oklahoma than from Waymire (the UFP distributor that is closer to my location than OK). Go figure. Dorsey got my business and this endorsement.

sk8salomon
04-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Ok next problem. Adapting my existing 4-wire trailer plug to the new 5-wire. I figured out that the 3 blue wires coming off the trailer male plug are all for back-up lights. One wire goes to the master cyl solenoid to disengage the brakes from surge stopping while backing up, the other two go to each white reverse light. I looked everywhere for a direct 5wire plug that attaches to my existing truck wiring "T-connect" so no custom BS needed to be done but I haven't found one yet. I decided to try this 4~5 plug converter that has an extra blue wire that connects to the truck reverse lights. I patched the single blue wire into one of my truck's backup lights and checked with a meter that I'm getting roughly 10vdc when in reverse. The problem I'm having now is that once everything is plugged in, my trailer reverse lights are not working. The trailer tail lights come on when i put the truck in reverse and go out when in any other gear. So I then used my meter to check the "blue" connector area when the truck is in reverse and no power? I have roughly 10vdc to the other 3 prongs but not the prong that plugs into the 3blue wires on the trailer side. Is this 4~5 way converter not layed out correctly? Sure sounds like it! Any help will be much appreciated.

sk8salomon
04-09-2008, 11:12 PM
here's the 4~5wire connector plug.