PDA

View Full Version : LA ski school?

richies
03-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi

Im travelling with my family from Europe, home to New Zealand via LA over the summer. This is our summer holiday, but we are heading back to winter and waterskiing will be tough. Because of this season change I havnt had much waterskiing in the last year....

We have 3 night layovers each way in LA. Is there a waterskiing possibility we could get to during the layovers e.g. a ski school, somewhere not too much of a drive from LAX? Ideally Id like to find a place with accomodation that we could use as a base, or with accomodation nearby.

Any ideas?

Cheers

R

coz
03-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi

Im travelling with my family from Europe, home to New Zealand via LA over the summer. This is our summer holiday, but we are heading back to winter and waterskiing will be tough. Because of this season change I havnt had much waterskiing in the last year....

We have 3 night layovers each way in LA. Is there a waterskiing possibility we could get to during the layovers e.g. a ski school, somewhere not too much of a drive from LAX? Ideally Id like to find a place with accomodation that we could use as a base, or with accomodation nearby.

Any ideas?

Cheers

R

L.A. definetly isn't known for it's ski schools. Unless you hook up with a local or TT'er that's going to the lake the day's your in town there isn't anywhere around LAX that's skiable. Big ocean right in front of LAX but that's the closest water your gonna find.:cool:

"Try here maybe you can connect"
http://wakeboarding.meetup.com/22/

TMCNo1
03-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Keep a check here for additional ones to be listed, http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/schools/Menu.htm and you can Google, "Waterski Schools" and there are a bunch that pop up and there may be one close. I know there are some in the NW in Oregon and Washington to also consider, but additional travel for you will be involved.

jsc0324
03-23-2008, 02:16 PM
www.hortonlakes.com Jack Horton, National Champion waterskier is still active and a great guy. Another option is Lake Elsinore about a hour or so away and there is a dealer that is on the lake?? (I've never been there.) Perhaps you could contact the dealer and for the right $$ make something happen. The Lake Elsinore route might be your best bet for something close. However, I don't know if they'll do it. www.californiaskier.com/index.html Good luck and have a great time!!

Whatever you do, you really want to time things right. LA can be really bad traffic wise, easily avoided if you plan you timing right. I don't make a habit of skiing with friends that refuse to get up at 5AM to go to Horton Lakes.

coz
03-23-2008, 02:42 PM
www.hortonlakes.com Jack Horton, National Champion waterskier is still active and a great guy. Another option is Lake Elsinore about a hour or so away and there is a dealer that is on the lake?? (I've never been there.) Perhaps you could contact the dealer and for the right $$ make something happen. The Lake Elsinore route might be your best bet for something close. However, I don't know if they'll do it. www.californiaskier.com/index.html Good luck and have a great time!!

Whatever you do, you really want to time things right. LA can be really bad traffic wise, easily avoided if you plan you timing right. I don't make a habit of skiing with friends that refuse to get up at 5AM to go to Horton Lakes.

Horton lakes is like 1/2 way to Vegas from LAX and Elsinore is in Riverside county and it will take longer than an hour from LAX so if you don't mind driving check them out or Lake Castaic & Pyramid. :D

rodltg2
03-23-2008, 03:35 PM
you can try this place, but it appears that they may have closed..

http://www.waterski-school.com/aboutUs.html

coz
03-23-2008, 04:29 PM
you can try this place, but it appears that they may have closed..

http://www.waterski-school.com/aboutUs.html

That was happening here http://irvinelake.net/irv/vt.php?t=3 for a while but I think your right about being closed. :D
:wavey:

richies
03-23-2008, 06:21 PM
This is great stuff thanks. I'll have a look at the links and let you know where we end up.

There is a house in The Hague looking for a housesitter if anyone fancies the summer in Europe.

R

richies
05-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi

The closest ski school to LAX that I could find (open) was Lake Arrowhead. Horton lakes looked good, but too far. Im planning the following:

Limo from LAX -USD 200 odd for the family. The kids will love this...

Cabin for 3 nights walking distance from the village - USD450 - 650. Still selecting the right place - that includes pass to the lake beaches for instance.

Skiing at www.mckenziewaterskischool.com - they have 4 boats so plenty of opportunity - but not MC.

Transport back to LAX.

Im interested in any feedback on Lake Arrowhead and McKenzie Ski school.

Cheers

coz
06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi

The closest ski school to LAX that I could find (open) was Lake Arrowhead. Horton lakes looked good, but too far. Im planning the following:

Limo from LAX -USD 200 odd for the family. The kids will love this...

Cabin for 3 nights walking distance from the village - USD450 - 650. Still selecting the right place - that includes pass to the lake beaches for instance.

Skiing at www.mckenziewaterskischool.com - they have 4 boats so plenty of opportunity - but not MC.

Transport back to LAX.

Im interested in any feedback on Lake Arrowhead and McKenzie Ski school.

Cheers

Arrowhead is a beautiful lake and not far from there is Big Bear lake. I believe Arrowhead is private, property owner only but BBL is big and public, but these are mountain lakes that take long winding up-hill roads to get to and colder water and cold nights. Should be fun though :D

richies
06-13-2008, 03:37 AM
Hi all

Via the net we have found a lake house at Lake Arrowhead - USD600 odd for the 3 nights. The Agent wants the full 600 plus 400 deposit up front now. Is this normal for the states?

Im happy to pay a good deposit but I normally pay for my accomodation when I check out/check in. They want cash deposit to their bank account or deposit via pay pal - credit card not accepted.

There are other house options, but will they want the whole amount up front as well?

Any advice welcome.

Richard

coz
06-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi all

Via the net we have found a lake house at Lake Arrowhead - USD600 odd for the 3 nights. The Agent wants the full 600 plus 400 deposit up front now. Is this normal for the states?

Im happy to pay a good deposit but I normally pay for my accomodation when I check out/check in. They want cash deposit to their bank account or deposit via pay pal - credit card not accepted.

There are other house options, but will they want the whole amount up front as well?

Any advice welcome.

Richard

Welcome to the good ol USA :D that's the norm :rolleyes: pay first. Have fun :D

richies
06-19-2008, 01:59 AM
ok, Im paying. Where I come from - after paying 100% up front, sight unseen - there would be a good chance there would be no house, and no more agent...

Thanks for the help though.

R