PDA

View Full Version : Installing a heater

cep89
03-23-2008, 11:59 AM
I have a 86' prostar 190 with a pcm 351 ford and I want to install a heater. I got a heater from Summit that is for jeeps, it looks to be just like the heater sold for boats. I need some help on where to hook up the water lines. My engines's water pump has 2 tubes that are capped off. Can I hook to those and put in a shut off valve? Is ther any website that has a diagram?

TMCNo1
03-23-2008, 02:17 PM
If possible, some pics of your engine hoses that are capped off would help in seeing if maybe there was a heater previously installed, them removed for some reason and not replaced.

JohnnyB
03-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I have a 86' prostar 190 with a pcm 351 ford and I want to install a heater. I got a heater from Summit that is for jeeps, it looks to be just like the heater sold for boats. I need some help on where to hook up the water lines. My engines's water pump has 2 tubes that are capped off. Can I hook to those and put in a shut off valve? Is ther any website that has a diagram?

Take pics of your install. Heater unit from summit is certainly interesting at $135. What are you doing for hot tubes, vents, etc?

ShamrockIV
03-23-2008, 07:50 PM
i hear u can get them installed by dealer for 300 bucks or so!!

cep89
03-23-2008, 10:06 PM
I have not installed the heater yet. I got the duct kit from Summit for about 28.00. I attached a picture of the water pump showing the 2 tubes that are capped off. Thanks for the help.

TMCNo1
03-23-2008, 10:43 PM
That could very well be the location for a previous heater setup or it also could be the location for the heater hoses on a replacement water pump normally used for a car/truck heater. It looks awful close in there with the marine thermostat/hose setup.

cep89
03-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Good, that's what I'm thinking that it is an automotive waterpump that was installed by the previous owner. It is tight but I think I can get a hose on the tubes.

jimmer2880
03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
You will want to use only one of those. Then, you want to get the "Y" adapter from www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com) to plumb the other one into your raw water intake (between the trans cooler and the pump). If you don't, you won't be very happy with the output of your heater while idling.

cep89
03-25-2008, 12:15 AM
That's good because the top one is hard to get a hose on. So one hose from the engine water pump to the heater and the the other hose from the heater to the Y adapater to the raw water intake. Where does the other leg of the Y adapter go?

Hollywood
03-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Certainly it's worth a try because you can, but I'm not sure how much heat you will get if your hot water supply is coming from the (engine/circulation) water pump that is seeing a constant supply of cold lake water, vs. a (intake) manifold or block tap. I've never seen it done in a ski boat, looking forward to your findings.

edit:(see parenthesis)

TRBenj
03-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Certainly it's worth a try because you can, but I'm not sure how much heat you will get if your hot water supply is coming from the water pump that is seeing a constant supply of cold lake water, vs. a manifold or block tap. I've never seen it done in a ski boat, looking forward to your findings.
When you put the Y right before the RWP, thats the heater return- the pump is what pulls the water through the heater core.

Ive seen setups where the hot water is tapped from the intake manifold and block, and both work well. Im not sure how well the circ pump would work as the supply (it sees both hot and cold water) or return (it wont pull the same amount of water as the RWP).

Thats definitely an automotive circ pump- the rusty appearance and those 2 capped off water lines are dead giveaways.

jimmer2880
03-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm glad the others caught my mistake. One hose should go into the intake, the other to the "Y" adapter that sites before your raw water pump. Leave the 2 hoses in the pic capped.