PDA

View Full Version : Is water supposed to come out THERE?

Hrkdrivr
03-23-2008, 01:43 AM
I just put a flush kit (home-made, will post details in another thread) on my engine and did an oil change. I know, I know...I shoulda done the oil change last fall...

While I was running the engine to warm up the oil, in addition to the water coming out the two exhaust holes, I noticed a good stream of water coming out right below the prop shaft, angled aft. It almost looked like there might have been a port there for water to come out.

Is this normal? Might this be part of the tranny cooler system?

Boat is an '06 X-45 w/L18 engine.

Thanks for the help, you all have been great. I just changed the ballast impellers, the engine impeller, the engine oil and the tranny oil, based on knowledge I gained here. If I hadn't been able to read and see so much here, I never would've had the courage to do it myself. :)

dmayer84
03-23-2008, 02:16 AM
I think it is, pretty sure all the new boats come with this.

http://www.ojprops.com/site/xpcshaft.htm

pflcjl
03-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Yes that is normal...if you look near your transmission cooler, you should see a small hose which snakes back to the prop shaft. It is either to lubricate or cool the propshaft and bearing. My 06 197 also has this and I was surprised as well when I noticed it. I posted a question on this site, like you, and got an answer in no time. Great forum!

Chief
03-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Yepper its normal.

Hrkdrivr
03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Cool. Thanks guys. I figured it was prolly OK but by the time I had her all finished up it was dark and I was tired...I'll go take a closer look at the plumbing again.

contraption
09-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Oh good, glad to know it is normal. I was running the fake-a-lake to warm up the engine in my new 2011 X2 last weekend and noticed a pretty major stream peeing out from adjacent the prop shaft....was concerned. Came here to ask if normal, now relieved. Great forum, thanks. Oh, and here's a link to a short video of what I saw under there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P7238f5o84

Quinten
09-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Yep, I think normal, our boat does it too when we pull it out of the water on a trailer, 2012 X2. He just let flew water down from the prop shaft, and if you open the flaps of the exhaust, than you have a lot of water :)