PDA

View Full Version : Lakes closing in California

Chas
03-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Have I missed something? They are closing lakes left and right around here due to the mussel invasions. There are a couple of lakes which I can get to in a reasonable drive time which are part of the California Aquaduct system, and those don't seem to be involved. I guess they are either immune or are already tainted, but one way or another they don't seem to be doing anything.

Have there been threads about this? There are plenty of articles about it - I guess those of you near the Great Lakes know about the various Invading species of mussels and other things which come over in the ballast water of cargo ships and then transfer down the various rivers and such.

Any impact other than here in LaLa land?

454Prostar190
03-22-2008, 03:50 PM
I have a buddy that lives in Ventura that was telling me this about I think that it was Lake Casitas?. He also told me that Pyramid Lake doesn't allow any swimming or skiing and is going to close it to the public with the exception of those who have a boat already on the lake or rental boats that are on this lake. They only allow a limited amount of boats as it is and apparently you have to be in line by 5am to be able to get in. He said that Lake Nacimiento... with all of it's restrictions or San Antonio was the closest place to have any real fun. We're spoiled up north here with the Delta, Berryessa, Sonoma etc.

coz
03-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Have I missed something? They are closing lakes left and right around here due to the mussel invasions. There are a couple of lakes which I can get to in a reasonable drive time which are part of the California Aquaduct system, and those don't seem to be involved. I guess they are either immune or are already tainted, but one way or another they don't seem to be doing anything.

Have there been threads about this? There are plenty of articles about it - I guess those of you near the Great Lakes know about the various Invading species of mussels and other things which come over in the ballast water of cargo ships and then transfer down the various rivers and such.

Any impact other than here in LaLa land?

What lakes are you talking about Chas?

I have a buddy that lives in Ventura that was telling me this about I think that it was Lake Casitas?. He also told me that Pyramid Lake doesn't allow any swimming or skiing and is going to close it to the public with the exception of those who have a boat already on the lake or rental boats that are on this lake. They only allow a limited amount of boats as it is and apparently you have to be in line by 5am to be able to get in. He said that Lake Nacimiento... with all of it's restrictions or San Antonio was the closest place to have any real fun. We're spoiled up north here with the Delta, Berryessa, Sonoma etc.

I'm originally from SoCal and Nacimiento & San Antonio are awsome, been to both a few times, from SoCal (O.C) it's kind of a long haul to those lakes but definetly worth the drive. :D My brother inlaw lives up in the delta area that too is a fun place. :D

phecksel
03-22-2008, 04:20 PM
why would they close the lakes? If they are infested, game's over, nothing else that can be done.

Watch out for them, they are dangerously sharp.

There is plenty of concern about the mussels disrupting the eco balance. So far, they have improved the lakes fishing, but that may be just a short term benefit. The long term reported damage hasn't happened yet, but this stuff can take decades to play out. Our lake had a huge infestation about 5 years ago, clearing the lake out like I hadn't ever seen, and then infestation wained. Still there, but not nearly the problem is was.

Chas
03-22-2008, 06:04 PM
The lakes closest to me are Casitas and Piru. Casitas has never allowed swimming or skiing, though I have plenty of friends who have done so. They post a lookout at the point, and ski the back side.

But they are talking about forcing people to either rent a boat from the marina, or store your boat there at the lake to keep from contaminating the thing. They are demanding a 28 day quarantine. The rental boats are all for fishing of course.

There have been ideas floated about putting a lock on the steering wheel of your boat so you can take it home - assuming that you can't/won't put it in any other body of water with the steering locked - that way you don't have to pay for storage.

Cachuma lake is also closed to outside boats, from what I hear.

The Delta!! My late uncle owned "Turner Cut" resort - lots of fun and fond memories.

I didn't know that Pyramid was closed to skiing! When did that happen? I used to take my boat there, but haven't for many years. I thought it was part of the Cal Aqueduct system?

WTRSK1R
03-22-2008, 06:26 PM
It may be that they are afraid of a future issue. They say the main way the mussels get transported is in the bilge water, or other containers when a boat is moved from one lake to another. There have been some threads about the need to sanitize ballast tanks between lakes, but I have not ever seen anything like that in the midwest. The lakes around here that have a rock bottom, or rocky areas are the ones that seem to have the worst issue with them. The mussels cling to the rocks and just spread like magic. Like someone else said, it clears the water up like magic. You will also find them on the steel for piers. I had someone drop sunglasses in at the end of a pier, and since I was already wet from skiing, I said I would jump in and look for them. I got to the bottom, and grabbed the pier support to help keep myself under water. Never even felt a thing, but when I came up, it looked like I took a razor blade to the palm of my hand and 3 of my fingers. I must have had about 8-10 good slashes and was bleeding like crazy. I told the person who dropped their glasses that they were on their own and went to go deal with my hand. Those things are SHARP.

lanier92prostar
03-22-2008, 06:54 PM
They are closing lakes out west due to too many mussels? They are draining mine in part to keep mussels alive in Fla!