PDA

View Full Version : In Line Raw Water Strainer

Turnandburn
03-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Has anyone had any experience adding an in line raw water strainer? I have a Prostar 197 MCX engine and am thinking about adding this part. It seems like the waters where I ski have more duckweed and debris so I was thinking this might be advisable.

CarlosCabanas
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I have one on my boat. I thought all inboards came equipped with one!! Anyway I would definately add one!! But remember to clean it out regularly because it will catch the debris and then it will make your engine overheat due to lack of water flow!! Still better than having your block all clogged up!!

Carlos

Ole Miss Rebels
03-22-2008, 01:13 PM
i smoked an impellor on my first xstar. since then i have added raw water strainers on each of my new xstars. my lake is full of alligator grass (alligators too but i'm not sure it will help much with them). they are a good idea and will assure that you don't get any major clogs in the tranny cooler. good luck and let us know which strainer you choose.

tuffenuff
03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
The strainer has saved my motor a couple of times. Suck up some debris, water temp. jumped up so I shut it down. Spun the strainer off, cleaned it out, put it back on and off I went. I also haven't shreaded any impellers yet. A definite plus IMO.

Chief
03-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Yep have one on mine. Purchased from Skidim right after I purchased the boat. Ya never know what ya might suck up.

jimmer2880
03-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Yep have one on mine. Purchased from Skidim right after I purchased the boat. Ya never know what ya might suck up.

Same thin here, on my PS190.

The guys at SkiDim even knew what kind of fittings would work best on my boat (one, 90 deg and one, straight)

Bruce
03-22-2008, 11:41 PM
"Don't leave home without it!" I have one on my 230VRS along with a flush kit. There is room for both. SkiDim has both. If you have never bought from them you are in for a treat. Great folks and very helpful.

pflcjl
03-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I have a 06 197 MCX and the raw water intake is mid ship and there is not a lot of hose like there was when the intake was back by the transmission on the earlier year models. Does anyone have pictures of a strainer installed with an MCX and the intake up at mid ship?

jraben8
03-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Same thin here, on my PS190.

The guys at SkiDim even knew what kind of fittings would work best on my boat (one, 90 deg and one, straight)

Same one that I got and it took about 15 minutes to install. After all the rain we got last year after the drought it more than paid for itself a couple of times.