PDA

View Full Version : My surgery

phecksel
03-22-2008, 09:28 AM
I hadn't shared much about why I was considering selling the boat. I knew they were trying to schedule me early summer to have a hiatal hernia repaired, which is round 2. Going through normal rounds of testing, absolutely fearing one test that might have made me cancel the surgery, it was so scary. Luckily that test has been replaced by something a whole lot less intrusive and much more comfortable. After that test I suddenly got bumped up to immediate surgery, literally leaving me enough time to make sure household finances were caught up and in a position to leave work for up to 7 weeks. Surgery lasted 7 hrs, and was much more intensive then the surgeon expected. Hospital stay left a lot to be desired as I had an AH for a roommate who thought this was his personal party hotel room. Nursing staff didn't address my complaints fast enough, nor was I aggressive enough in getting my complaints heard. Thursday, when my surgeon came to visit, the AH was in a yelling match with our nurse and then charge nurse that was quickly approaching physical altercation, F* this F* that, etc. I begged him to immediately discharge me. He did, against the advice of the nutritionist, because I still wasn't eating or drinking enough. On a totally liquid diet for two weeks, and then soft/mushy for 6-8 after that. No carbonated beverages... there goes the beer for awhile, LOL. But, I knew SWMBO, wouldn't allow me to starve to death. Tough getting the correct amount of calories and nutrition, when you can only drink the meals. I see him in a 1.5 weeks, where we'll discuss my returning to work. Because he was able to do the surgery laproscopy, I'll be back to work in relatively short order. Belly looks like buckshot target, he had to pop in 8 holes, one of which is significantly larger with some pretty decent bruising.

thijs
03-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Wow, hope all goes well and that this surgery gets things ironed out properly. Hiatal hernias can be quite painful and debilatating, can't they?

jimmer2880
03-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Hope you get straightened out soon. Hang in there.

bigmac
03-22-2008, 10:08 AM
I can't even conceive of a 7 hour fundoplication/hiatal hernia repair...even a revision. Glad you're feeling better.

phecksel
03-22-2008, 12:08 PM
I can't even conceive of a 7 hour fundoplication/hiatal hernia repair...even a revision. Glad you're feeling better.

It was little more involved as you might expect. Surgeon had expected 6 hrs and I had asked him how someone can even do 6 hrs, he said it's just something you do. The way things had worked out, he had an earlier surgery planned that morning, but it got canceled the day before. Maybe it was best for the way things worked out.

phecksel
03-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Wow, hope all goes well and that this surgery gets things ironed out properly. Hiatal hernias can be quite painful and debilatating, can't they?
considering the medication was coming with it's own set of issues, and even then not controlling things to the point of getting no more then a few hours sleep in a row, yes, it's debilitating. I was really noticing it at work with written communications, making simple grammatical errors.

bigmac
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
It was little more involved as you might expect. Surgeon had expected 6 hrs and I had asked him how someone can even do 6 hrs, he said it's just something you do. The way things had worked out, he had an earlier surgery planned that morning, but it got canceled the day before. Maybe it was best for the way things worked out.

Revisional laparoendoscopic surgery is what I specialize in. Been there, done that many, many times....but never for 6 hours.

phecksel
03-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Revisional laparoendoscopic surgery is what I specialize in. Been there, done that many, many times....but never for 6 hours.
just checked with my wife, and she said the surgeon talked to her about 7 hrs after I was rolled back, and she was able to see me about 3 hours after that. Apparently was slow recovery.

roddydog
03-22-2008, 02:48 PM
What, exactly is "hiatal"?

I had a hernia taken care of a coupla years ago (can't remember the type, inguinal I think), couple hours under the knife (local only) and home 2 days later.

Ther is a clinic up here, The Shouldice, and all they do is hernias!! The guy perfected a system years ago and now people come from all over to get them done and in quite a few cases re-done.

No Mesh!! Worst thing you could do. Stainless Streel thread that never lets go and never comes out!

Hope your recovery is quick!!

bigmac
03-22-2008, 02:56 PM
No Mesh!! Worst thing you could do. Stainless Streel thread that never lets go and never comes out!

Ho ho :D

TMCNo1
03-22-2008, 05:47 PM
We hope your recovery is smooth and quick! Keep us informed!

Maristar210
03-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey there Mr. Bellevue, hope you feel better soon

suedv
03-23-2008, 12:08 AM
I hope you feel better soon.

Here are a couple of thoughts for you too. Unless you don't like boating anymore don't sell your boat because you had to have a hernia fixed. If I quit doing what I like because I have health problems I'd be sitting around doing nothing. That would be a total drag. I'm sure you can be resilient. You'll be happier if you find ways to keep doing what you like.

I'm with you it isn't fun to be in the hospital. I was in for a week last summer and every day I would wish I could go home and then be disappointed when they said I wasn't ready to go home. It wasn't fun, but I found ways to cope. You can have a nice enough time at home while you heal.

I'll share some of my hospital coping skills with you and anyone else who has to stay in the hospital. Who knows, maybe someone will find them helpful... I hope.

Have someone bring you some toys and play with them. Rick brought my laptop to the hospital for me. UMP started the "Official Cheer up Suedv thread and poll." Steve, UMP, Monte, and others had me and my respiratory therapist laughing about the thought of Steve wearing yellow speedos and dancing around the hospital. 8p

Rick also brought my camera to me. I took totally worthless pictures of stupid things while laying in my bed. I'll bet you never guessed that a styrofoam cup with a bendy straw would become the art piece of the day. :o

The food is awful so make jokes about it. It's more fun that way and really, what's the alternative?

Here is my last word of hopefully wisdom. Focus on whatever you can to make your day pleasant. Time goes faster. This might sound dumb, but I found it helpful to say some off the wall things to get the nurses laughing. Even if I didn't feel good, hearing them laugh made me happier. I bet that would help at home too.

Take care and get better fast. :)

thijs
03-23-2008, 10:22 AM
I hope you feel better soon.

Here are a couple of thoughts for you too. Unless you don't like boating anymore don't sell your boat because you had to have a hernia fixed. If I quit doing what I like because I have health problems I'd be sitting around doing nothing. That would be a total drag. I'm sure you can be resilient. You'll be happier if you find ways to keep doing what you like.

I'm with you it isn't fun to be in the hospital. I was in for a week last summer and every day I would wish I could go home and then be disappointed when they said I wasn't ready to go home. It wasn't fun, but I found ways to cope. You can have a nice enough time at home while you heal.

I'll share some of my hospital coping skills with you and anyone else who has to stay in the hospital. Who knows, maybe someone will find them helpful... I hope.

Have someone bring you some toys and play with them. Rick brought my laptop to the hospital for me. UMP started the "Official Cheer up Suedv thread and poll." Steve, UMP, Monte, and others had me and my respiratory therapist laughing about the thought of Steve wearing yellow speedos and dancing around the hospital.

Rick also brought my camera to me. I took totally worthless pictures of stupid things while laying in my bed. I'll bet you never guessed that a styrofoam cup with a bendy straw would become the art piece of the day.

The food is awful so make jokes about it. It's more fun that way and really, what's the alternative?

Here is my last word of hopefully wisdom. Focus on whatever you can to make your day pleasant. Time goes faster. This might sound dumb, but I found it helpful to say some off the wall things to get the nurses laughing. Even if I didn't feel good, hearing them laugh made me happier. I bet that would help at home too.

Take care and get better fast.

You forgot to mention student nurses! ;)

phecksel
03-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Sue, I literally begged my dr to let me come home early. Nutritionist strongly advised against it. My room mate was the most obnoxious self centered piece of trash I've seen in a very long time. I did not complain nearly loud enough or long enough. It really helped that my surgeon walked in during a very loud argument he was having with the nursing staff, F* this F* that... I actually thought they were going to get physical.

They way the timing was setting up, I was not going to be able to use the boat at all this summer. Because the surgery got pulled ahead, I should be able to ride once it warms up, and ski sometime this summer.

Never considered the camera, LOL. I picked up a sigma 70-200 and my camera came back from service sharper then I could imagine. Youngest has her first track meet next Saturday at some special invitational, and it's especially an honor for her, because she's a freshman, and apparently freshmen never get invited to this. I should be strong enough to attend, not sure if I'll be wielding that lens. May have to put the slower 70-300 on.

bigmac
03-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a patient that underwent a laparoscopic gastric bypass last Monday and this past Friday she tested for her 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and passed. I'll bet you recover faster than you think, or than they have predicted.

tex
03-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I was born w/ a hiatal hernia. I was the sick kid until about 9 years old when they discovered it. I'm 43 so you can see the time. I spent 3 days in ICU and 30 days total in the hospital. That was back in the day. I hear it's almost day surgery now. You will come through this like a rock star! I mean look how great I turned out!!!! Until having a kid, I have only been sick a couple of times since the operation! Good luck and keep the boat!!!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I was born w/ a hiatal hernia. I was the sick kid until about 9 years old when they discovered it. I'm 43 so you can see the time. I spent 3 days in ICU and 30 days total in the hospital. That was back in the day. I hear it's almost day surgery now. You will come through this like a rock star! I mean look how great I turned out!!!! Until having a kid, I have only been sick a couple of times since the operation! Good luck and keep the boat!!!!
yea, look how great you turned out.

TMCNo1
03-24-2008, 06:12 AM
UMP, hows the brain transplant recovery going?

bigmac
03-24-2008, 08:46 AM

I didn't hear about that. Was it done using Minimally Invasive Surgery?

TMCNo1
03-24-2008, 08:56 AM
I didn't hear about that. Was it done using Minimally Invasive Surgery?

If you call a long cuetip and an Shopvac Minimally Invasive,32731

flipper
03-24-2008, 09:53 AM

I herd UMP is doing well, the monkey on the other hand is suffering horrible head aches, but is expected to be fine.

TMCNo1
03-24-2008, 10:50 AM
I herd UMP is doing well, the monkey on the other hand is suffering horrible head aches, but is expected to be fine.

I heard the monkey liked wearing leather pants, was driving 'Bandit' car, eating Peanut Butter Pasties while screaming "Why, Why, Why"!