PDA

View Full Version : amp/speaker issue

icewake
03-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Today I put a jbl ma6004 amplifier in my 205. It is rated at 65W RMS per channel, I got the 4 channel,4-ohm version. I have 4 speakers total so I am running each speaker off a separate channel. My problem is after I turn the radio up it almost seems like the speakers are missing notes(maybe cancelling each other out). The speakers I have are alpine marine rated at 30W RMS 4-ohm. I know my speakers are of a low wattage compared to my amp but I just want to make sure its that reason the speakers are missing notes and not something I did wiring it up. I made sure to connect neg to neg and pos to pos. Thanks

BTW......I do plan on upgrading to 60W RMS 4-ohm speakers in the near future.

rrbooker
03-22-2008, 08:04 AM
sounds like a power issue! does it miss when the boat is running, or when its off and just running off the battery, or both?

icewake
03-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I never started the boat up, when i was running the amp I had the battery charger hooked up to the batt(on maintainer charge but maybe that wasnt enough amps) so power shouldnt have been an issue. I used 5GA power wire and 8GA ground. The ground is grouded at the battery

rrbooker
03-22-2008, 10:41 AM
you could be getting some feed back from the charger! How does it sound with out the charger hooked up, just the battery?

Try switching the amp to just Highs, than just lows, to see where the missing is coming from!

icewake
03-23-2008, 01:10 PM
it was doing it before I had the charger hooked up also, I put the charger on because I knew my battery power was starting to get low. I have the lows turned completely down on the amp if I remember correctly

sk8salomon
03-23-2008, 02:28 PM
rr is probably right, you're starving your amp or headunit for power. how loud are we talking here when the sound starts cutting out? at low levels is the sound ok? turn your key on and see what the dash voltmeter is reading when the volume is at the problem level.

icewake
03-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info, I will do this next time I am at the house where the boat is

D3skier
03-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I never started the boat up, when i was running the amp I had the battery charger hooked up to the batt(on maintainer charge but maybe that wasnt enough amps) so power shouldnt have been an issue. I used 5GA power wire and 8GA ground. The ground is grouded at the battery

not a good combination there with the power/ground wire... make sure you use the same gauge wire for both power and ground