PDA

View Full Version : Going to Hawaii

Andyg
03-21-2008, 11:02 PM
My wife and I are leaving for Hawaii on Sunday and I thought I would ask everyone here for ideas on things to do, places to see and places to eat. We are staying at the Marriott on Waikoloa which is about 20 miles north of the Kona airport. We won't be leaving the island, at least no plans at this point. One thing that I already heard that I thought was a good idea was to rent a Jeep soft top for cruising around the island. I just reserved one for the week. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Andyg

JohnnyB
03-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Lay on the beach and drink umbrella drinks......

Serioiusly, buy The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by authors Dougherty and Friedman.....we bought the one for Oahu and it was great!! Worth reading on the plane (You'll have time!!)......really helped us maximize the trip.....saw the key sites and still had plenty of time to lay on the beach and drink Mai-Tais

My only regret in our trip is that we didn't do some island hopping. I would've gone to Kauai.

coz
03-21-2008, 11:39 PM
My wife and I are leaving for Hawaii on Sunday and I thought I would ask everyone here for ideas on things to do, places to see and places to eat. We are staying at the Marriott on Waikoloa which is about 20 miles north of the Kona airport. We won't be leaving the island, at least no plans at this point. One thing that I already heard that I thought was a good idea was to rent a Jeep soft top for cruising around the island. I just reserved one for the week. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Andyg

The Big Island is great you can go Hapuna Beach which is a beautiful sandy streach of beach not far from the Waikoloa. My family has been there a couple times and we stay in the Kailua-Kona area at Keauhou Kona Surf & Racquet Club I go to surf and I can fill you in on those spots and while I surf my wife and kids do the Volcano tours, trips to Hilo, Captain Cook Tours and all the touristy stuff. If you dont surf and want the best snorkling on the Island check out Kahaluu Bay, you can also learn to surf there if you want. Guaranteed you wont have enought time in the day to do all the cool stuff over there. Have Fun! :D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2283/1673052470_7ddcf47445_o.jpg
Kahaluu Bay
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/286636733_f6628fadff_b.jpg

BriEOD
03-22-2008, 06:43 AM
A trip to the volcano park is a must!

Having lived in Hawaii for 4 years, Kauai was our favorite. Not to mention, there is a ski school right on the Wailua river. FWIW.

G-man
03-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Bicycling down the volcano at sunrise is cool

Slinkyredfoot
03-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Have never been to the Big Island, but read in the paper this week Kilauea volcano has been active this week forthe first time in years....

coz
03-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Have never been to the Big Island, but read in the paper this week Kilauea volcano has been active this week forthe first time in years....

Yeah it's going off. :D

Pele gives plenty of heat to Namakaokahai
By Special To West Hawaii Today
Sunday, March 16, 2008 7:51 AM HST
Last week was a family reunion of sorts, as Pele met her sister, Namakaokahai, when lava from Kilauea Volcano entered the ocean for the first time since June.

But why was there a gap of nine months since the last ocean entry at Kilauea, even though the eruption was nearly continuous during this time? Many readers of this column probably know that there was a major change in the activity at Kilauea in mid-2007, with new eruptive vents breaking out along the volcano's east rift zone. These changes appear to have been caused by changes in the most fundamental parameter governing Kilauea's activity.

The Island of Hawaii lies above a hotspot -- a melting anomaly in the Earth's mantle that extends hundreds of miles beneath the surface. The hotspot supplies magma to the volcanoes at the surface, resulting in frequent and, in the case of Kilauea nearly continuous, eruptions.

The extensive deformation monitoring network at Kilauea, coupled with frequent eruptions, allows scientists to calculate how much magma is supplied by the hotspot to Kilauea each year. Estimates of the magma supply rate from the 1970s through the early 2000s are remarkably consistent at about 0.02 cubic miles per year. That's enough magma to fill about 15 million dump trucks.

What would happen if the supply rate changed? If less magma came into Kilauea from the hotspot, we might expect eruptions to be less frequent. But what if more magma was being fed to Kilauea from below? Scientists at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory think that an increase in supply rate is exactly what happened over the past several years, leading to major changes in Kilauea's behavior.

In late 2003, Kilauea's caldera began to inflate like a balloon as more magma began entering the summit magma reservoir than was being erupted at Puu Oo. By 2005, the inflation rate had increased, and soon the amount of lava erupting from Puu Oo increased by about 50 percent. Still the summit inflation continued, with the rate increasing again in 2006.

In addition to the inflation, summit carbon dioxide emissions more than doubled in 2004. Carbon dioxide is contained within magma and is proportional to the amount of magma below ground.

Taken together, the gas and deformation data indicate that the magma supply to Kilauea increased by two to three times during 2003 to 2006. The supply rate exceeded what could be erupted from Puu Oo, so the excess magma was stored beneath Kilauea's summit. As a result, Kilauea caldera inflated and pressure built within the summit magma reservoir. On June 17 pressure in the reservoir could no longer be contained.

Early that morning, magma from Kilauea's summit moved down the east rift zone to the Mauna Ulu region, approaching the surface and erupting a few days later on the east flank of the Kane Nui o Hamo shield. Puu Oo collapsed as magma supply to the eruptive vent was diverted.

Even when lava returned to Puu Oo in early July, it was clear that things were not

quite right. Puu Oo started to inflate rapidly as pressure built beneath that cone. Then, on July 21 the small magma reservoir beneath Puu Oo ruptured, and a new eruptive fissure formed to the east. Puu Oo collapsed again and, within a few days, the eruption stabilized at a point about 1 mile east of Puu Oo. Lava has been erupting there ever since, and only last week did it finally make it over the pali, across the coastal plain, and into the sea.

All of these changes are a result, either directly or indirectly, of the increase in magma supply to Kilauea Volcano -- apparently the first sustained magma supply increase at Kilauea in the past several decades.

Although the cause of the increase is as yet unknown, it is clear that changes in magma supply can have a profound influence on the eruptive activity of Kilauea. Only time will tell what will happen next. Some signs indicate that the magma supply to Kilauea has started to decrease. For now, however, Pele apparently has plenty of heat to give to her older sister in the sea.

Activity update

Kilauea summit is slowly deflating and had two DI tilt events this past week. Seismic tremor levels at the summit are elevated to nearly moderate levels. Summit sulfur dioxide emission rates have remained elevated at more than four times background levels since early January. Puu Oo continued to deflate. Earthquakes were located primarily beneath the general summit area, the southwest rift zone and the south flank faults.

Lava from the 2007 Thanksgiving Eve breakout flow, erupting from fissure D of the July 21 eruption, continues to flow through what remains of the Royal Gardens subdivision and across the coastal plain. On March 5, the flow entered the ocean in the vicinity of Kapaahu. The Waikupanaha delta has grown to be more than 1640 feet in width and has several entry points.

The public should be aware that the ocean entry areas could collapse at any time, potentially generating large explosions in the process. The steam clouds rising from the entry areas are highly acidic and laced with glass particles. Do not venture onto the lava deltas and benches. Even the intervening beaches are susceptible to large waves suddenly generated during delta collapse; these beaches should be avoided. Check the County of Hawaii Civil Defense Web site (http://www.lavainfo.us) for information on public access to the coastal plain and ocean entry.

This pahoehoe flow is being fed from the end of the rootless shield complex constructed southeast of the Thanksgiving Eve breakout vent since November.

An area of persistent breakouts on the northeast side of the shield complex also continues to produce small flows. These northeast-directed flows are restricted to a broad, flat area on the south side of Kupaianaha.

Weak incandescence has been intermittently observed in Puu Oo in the past week. As in years past, Puu Oo likely is serving as a large chimney, beneath which lava is briefly stored and substantially degassed on its way to the eruption site.

Vent areas are hazardous. Access to Puu Oo, Thanksgiving Eve breakout vent and rootless shields, in the Puu Kahaualea Natural Area Reserve, is closed (http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/chair/pio/HtmlNR/07-N076.htm).

Sulfur dioxide emission rates from the summit area have been substantially elevated at two to four times background values since early January. During these conditions, sulfur dioxide concentrations frequently exceed 1 ppm for half or more of Crater Rim Drive between Halemaumau parking lot and the southwest rift zone. Sulfur dioxide concentrations exceed 20 ppm for approximately 650 feet of the road between the Halemaumau parking lot and the south caldera pullout.

The increase in sulfur dioxide emission rates at the summit means that sulfur dioxide concentrations are much more likely to be at hazardous levels for visitor areas downwind of Halemaumau, especially during weak wind conditions or when winds blow from the south. Most people are sensitive to sulfur dioxide at these levels, especially children, individuals with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or other breathing problems. Stay informed about sulfur dioxide concentrations in continuously monitored areas (Jaggar Museum and Kilauea Visitor Center) by visiting the Kilauea Visitor Center and the Web at: www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/havoso2alert/havoalert.cfm. To minimize these potentially harmful effects, the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has closed all access to the southern half of Kilauea caldera.

No earthquakes beneath Hawaii Island were reported felt within the past week.

Mauna Loa is not erupting. Two earthquakes were located beneath the summit. The rate of extension between locations spanning the summit, indicating inflation, has decreased to values below detection limits.

Visit our Web site (hvo.wr.usgs.gov) for daily Kilauea eruption updates and nearly real-time Hawaii earthquake information. Kilauea daily update summaries also are available by phone at 967-8862.

This article was written by scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey's Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.

"story link and B.I. Hawaii info"
http://westhawaiitoday.com/

Ehukai_84
03-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey Andy check out Waikoloa Baptist Church my dad is the pastor there.

coz
03-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey Andy check out Waikoloa Baptist Church my dad is the pastor there.

Is this your Dad? Pastor Emerson Wiles

coz
03-22-2008, 10:56 AM
"click the pic for a larger image"
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2356/2351382937_3a6734c425_o.jpg

Ehukai_84
03-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Yep thats him.

bepresto
03-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I have been there twice for ten days each. we were there to play in a baseball tournament at U of H. We stayed both times at a hotel on the beach in Honolulu (cant remember the name) but it was next to the street market. The best place that I thought was a neat place to eat at was Shorebirds. You get to select what you want to eat and then you get to grill it. They also have a buffet to get your own fixins.

coz
03-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Yep thats him.

Here's a plug for the good people of the BI Waikoloa Babtist Church. :D

"Everyone Can" Tour Reaches Hawaii, Final Stop
Written by Brent Thompson

WAIKOLOA, Hawaii (BP)--In reaching Hawaii, Bobby Welch successfully visited Southern Baptists in all 50 states and Canada in just 25 days of travel.

Hawaiian Baptists from all around the island of Kona welcomed Welch and celebrated his arrival Oct. 7 by placing a purple and white lei around his neck in the traditional Hawaiian manner.

Waikoloa Baptist Church was the last stop on the last day of the unprecedented "Everyone Can Kingdom Challenge for Evangelism" tour to encourage Southern Baptists to "Witness, Win and Baptize…ONE MILLION!" in one year.

Welch stood before his Hawaiian audience and brought the same message he has now delivered literally all over North America.

"Instead of going off in all different directions," Welch exhorted, "let's all pull together as one and make a real impact on this country."

These Baptists in the 50th state were ready to do their part. Pastor Emerson Wiles divided up the group into visitation teams of two or three people. Wiles gave them survey forms, instructions, and maps of assigned streets in the neighborhood surrounding the church. Welch took an assignment and went out with Bob Duffer, director of missions for the Neighbor Islands Baptist Association.

Welch and Duffer knocked on the door of a nice home at the end of a cul-de-sac. A young mother answered the door.

Welch established a nearly instant rapport with the young mother who was holding her infant son. A 2-year-old daughter peeked out at the visitors from behind the young mother's legs.

The young woman's husband worked at the Hilton resort nearby, and the family had been living in Hawaii for three years after being transferred from Guam.

A group from Waikoloa Baptist Church in Waikoloa, Hawaii, had their picture made with SBC President Bobby Welch. The group photos from each stop along Welch's "Everyone Can Kingdom Challenge for Evangelism" tour will be displayed at the 2005 SBC annual meeting in Nashville, Tenn. Photo by Bob Duffer.
"I was raised in Guam as a Catholic," the young lady said. "When I was a teenager, I accepted Jesus as my Savior and began attending a nondenominational church in Guam. But, I am embarrassed to say that we have kind of slipped out of going to any church since we moved here."
Welch encouraged her and explained how the Baptist church just down the road had a dynamic new pastor, children's programs, and young couples like her.

"Women's Bible studies might interest me," the young lady told Welch.

"Let us have your telephone number and I will give it to Pastor Wiles' wife," Welch said. "She will give you a call and let you know more about Waikoloa Baptist Church."

Appreciatively, the young woman jotted her telephone number down on a piece of paper.

Later that evening back at the church building, the visitation teams gathered to share their experiences. Through the open windows of the well-lit sanctuary a warm, gentle trade wind breezed up from the ocean nearby.

"Scared to death," one team member said as he began his report. "That's how I felt going out tonight."

"Did it help to have other people with you?" Welch asked.

"Yes, definitely," the man replied. "I could never have done it alone. But after a couple houses, we got into a rhythm and it got easier. I can't wait to do it again."

Later, Welch commented to Baptist Press on his cumulative experiences witnessing to people he met on the tour.

"I have done the same thing in all 50 states and Canada, and my experiences have confirmed suspicions I have had for 30 years," Welch said.

"Critics have told me, 'Door-to-door visitation or street witnessing will not work in this part of the country or that part of the country. It's too confrontational. It's too intrusive.'

"But you know what?" Welch asked rhetorically. "Every one of the people I have spoken to on this trip have reacted almost the same way. People all over this country are open to a winsome presentation of the Gospel. If you show kindness, genuine care, naturalness, and don't get all worked up when you talk to them, people everywhere will listen to you."

"There is a difference between being intentional and being confrontational. I am not confrontational. I am not talking to people to work out the problems with their theology, even though that will be important on down the line. I am intentionally sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There is nothing wrong with that in most people's eyes," he said.

Welch is praying that more messengers than ever will make the sacrifice to attend the Southern Baptist Convention in Nashville, Tenn., next June to launch a year-long effort to witness, win, and baptize 1 million people between June 2005 and June 2006. He has assured churches at every stop along the way that they will not be disappointed if they come to Nashville.

"I can tell you this much," Welch said to the group that filled the small sanctuary of Waikoloa Baptist Church. "Baptists all across America are saying, 'Now is the time. Let's no longer slouch along the path of dead denominationalism. Now is the time to win this nation for Christ.'…Southern Baptists must do better than they have done before, and they have got to do it now."

Have a nice day! :D

Andyg
03-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I knew you guys would have some great ideas. Thanks for the info.

Later

Andyg

coz
03-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I knew you guys would have some great ideas. Thanks for the info.

Later

Andyg

Be sure and post them pics when you get back. :D

Chief
03-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Hopefully its clear because you are going to be in for a visual overload. Pretty impressive to see a volcano take up half the sky. Beautiful island, my favorite. Have fun~