PDA

View Full Version : overheating.. HELP

mpwonka
03-21-2008, 08:35 PM
:confused: I have a 96 Maristar 225 vrs, has the corvette engine in it, We took the boat out for the first time since we test drove it last month, Started fine drove around for about 45min - hr noticed the check engine light was on checked my gauge and the temp gauge was spiked, I killed it opened the deck had a little burn't smell all the belts were on ? Let her set 30 min or so fired it up the temp gauge was back down moved on about 1000 rpms or so for less than 5 min it did the overheat again, Towed back in loaded . Need some advice on what to check any advice ?????? Thanks ahead of time

123src
03-21-2008, 08:48 PM
I am sure many will help you nail down the cause, but I would look at the impeller first, then make sure none of the water lines are clogged, for instance at the transmission filter.

mpwonka
03-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty stupid on this boat, can you guide me to the trans lines , I would think they are close to where I check the trans fluid ? also the impeller ? Sorry I am not to savy

coz
03-21-2008, 09:06 PM
I can help with the impeller part, it's in here, remove the four screws.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/2347896762_542f844c7f_b.jpg
And here was me trying to get it out.
"click here"
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22205

mpwonka
03-21-2008, 10:11 PM
THANKS for the pics and help, My boat is a V-drive so looks like I'm gona play hell getting this thing out, any further guidance ??? I am gonna try to take mine out tmm and I suppose thic cant be bought at auto zone !

russlars
03-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Your impeller is probably worn out. That is the first place to check at least. There are several threads on this topic. Here is one: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19625&highlight=impeller+drive
If you open the cover and it is all chewed up, make sure that when you change it that you also clean out the screen on your transmission cooler line. That's where all of the pieces of rubber from the burned up impeller usually end up. If this is your problem, it is a relatively easy fix. Good Luck!

JimN
03-21-2008, 11:31 PM
My advice may sound harsh but before you take it out again, search your brains out here for topics concerning the LT-1 motor and what it needs in order to keep it running. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that as a motor to learn on, because it does have differences and overheating it is one of the bad things to do.

Chicago190
03-22-2008, 12:47 AM
You might want to take it to a professional because as JimN said its a more finicky motor. It has 2 thermostats, either of which could be bad. Secondly, it has aluminum heads and overheating may have caused them to warp or the headgaskets could be toast as well. I suppose you can check out the impeller as it is the most likely culprit, but you may need to do additional testing to make sure your engine wasn't damaged by the overheat.

Jim@BAWS
03-22-2008, 09:04 AM
THANKS for the pics and help, My boat is a V-drive so looks like I'm gona play hell getting this thing out, any further guidance ??? I am gonna try to take mine out tmm and I suppose thic cant be bought at auto zone !

I see that you are in the SE. I am the dealer in Tampa
Impellars are $32.95

Give us a call (813) 996 2297

NAPA and AUTOZONE do not carry them

Thanks

Jim@BAWS

mpwonka
03-22-2008, 03:49 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Pictures\BOAT PICS 08\100_1521.JPGWOW< Thanks for all the advice, I got the Impeller out if the pic loads you can see its chewed up bad, I also dumped all the water out of the block , Drained all the oil, and cleaned my screens, No water in the oil at all , I hope this got it , I need to order a new impellar and I should be good. This site is great glad I sold my Moomba and bought a MasterCraft !!!! Any suggestions on best place to buy the impellar and gasket ?

JimN
03-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Go and meet your local dealer (or whomever you want to buy from) and get two- one will be a spare and if you don't use it, replace the one you do use next spring. Keep a spare and you won't be stranded at a time when the dealers aren't open.