PDA

View Full Version : Size????

79stars
03-21-2008, 12:14 PM
How do you determine what size board you need. I'm 6'2" and about 205lbs. Also, whats a good board for the $$ for a novice such as myself?

flipper
03-21-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm about the same size, and have a cwb 141

79stars
03-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Preciate it, Ill check it out! Any opinion on binders/boots as I know squat about that setup as well?

flipper
03-21-2008, 12:23 PM
I got this one with Faction bindings, and like it. I'm no expert though. Just seemed like the most bang for the buck to me

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Wakeboards/CWB_2008_Absolute_Wakeboard/index.asp

Lennyp04
03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
I have a pair of Faction Bindings for sale size XL...let me know if your interested!

I'm 6'1 205lbs and I ride a Ronix Vault 144

coz
03-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Preciate it, Ill check it out! Any opinion on binders/boots as I know squat about that setup as well?

Call them Bindings :D
Go big board and lace up bindings at first and my choice is anything Liquid Force.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2037/2325748200_1a2186f264_b.jpg
Liquid Force Evolution 142 w/Ultra Suction Bindings :D

Check out these LF Vans looking bindings, my kids dig em.
http://www.wakeside.com/images/en_US/local/products/detail/dt_LIQ08_M_CAB.jpg

"here's the LF binding selection"
http://www.wakeside.com/category/brands/wake/liquid_force/liquid_force_mens_wakeboard_bindings.do?kwd=&gclid=CNL-5NzBnpICFREcagod92fj_Q

Lennyp04
03-21-2008, 12:45 PM
The best way to determine what is right for you is to test it before you buy it. That is one of the things that I wanted to do with this board that I have now except I worked out a deal with SOS to say that if I wasnt happy with it all I had to do was send it back and they would send a new one. So if you dont have the opportunity to ride before you buy try to make a deal like that.

Whats your foot size? ahah

denverd1
03-21-2008, 01:04 PM
6'2" 186 - ride a 139 3ds. i Wouldn't go smaller than a 138 for your size. its all preference, but a bigger board can be harder to control when you're getting the hang of things. try to ride some different boards before you buy or buy cheap so you can drop it, let it fall out of racks, your friends can ride it, it could be a "boat board" or a slider board. def don't drop 3 hundy on what someone recommended on a website.

swatguy
03-21-2008, 05:23 PM
at your size a 141-144 should be great......just try a couple boards and see which ones you like best...most shops will demo....same goes for boots as well.

As far as a board.........So many choices, but I would lean something with what they call a continuos rocker or continuous hybrid or subtle 3 stage.......very smooth feel that pops consistantly off the wake. Stay away from and abrupt 3 stage rockers and 3 stage rockers....very hard board to ride for newbies.....your balance, technique and body position have to be perfect in order to get the pop off the wake from a board with a rocker like that. A Hyperlite Motive, State CWB Kink or Sol (both are subtle three stage rockers, so still very smooth and consistant.) Liquid Force Omega, Trip are all great starts........You can always go a little more expensive if you like, but totally up to you. I always tell people on a budget to spend more on a binding and get a good one and less on a board. Don't do the opposite.. YOur feet need to be comfy and have support

mah2496
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I ride LF Omega 143. The proshop recommended it, and claimed it was suitable for me to learn on, while being suitable for intermediate riders as well. I have no complaints.

coz
03-21-2008, 07:55 PM
I ride LF Omega 143. The proshop recommended it, and claimed it was suitable for me to learn on, while being suitable for intermediate riders as well. I have no complaints.

My friend has one of these, nice boards to get going on for sure.
http://www.boardstop.com/images/liquidforce/2007/wakeboards/m/07-Omega-143-Top_med.jpghttp://www.boardstop.com/images/liquidforce/2007/wakeboards/m/07-Omega-143-Bot_med.jpg

Product Description:

The perfect foundation for progression... The omega is smooth and simple, just what you need at this level. Catch free with nothing to hold you back. Inspired by a more aggressive board we simply turned down the volume for a consistent and reliable shape made to elevate the masses.

Product Features:

Scalloped Diamond Tail-Extended hold up the wake, increases the pop off the tail.
Pop Rock-A manageable 3-stage rocker line that is fast, smooth, and pops like a mother.
Variable Edges-There’s no catch - Soft in the middle - Forgiving when neutral, spins faster off the wake, land still spinning - Sharpens as it nears the tail - Locks and holds edge into the water when weight is transferred into the edging position.
Molded Canted Fins-Easier to get board on edge. Helps the board initiate turns and hold better switch stance, frontside, toeside, backside, heelside. Solid and consistent tracking from any side. Releases on demand for a snow style, edge to edge feel. Long and shallow for quick release. No Drag.
Long Base Center Fins-Shallow and long for quick release tracking. Gives you the spinning edge.Allows rider to fine tune to desired feel.
Sculpted Top Deck w/ Flex Enhancers-Light weight. Stiffens snap and response
Product Specs:

Length (cm): 143.2 cm
Width (cm): 43.8 cm
Rocker (cm): 6.6 cm
Length (in): 56.4 in.
Width (in): 17.1 in.
Rocker (in): 2.6 in.
Rocker Type: Continuous Hybrid
Stance Range (cm): 48.3 - 63.5 cm
Stance Range (in): 19.0 - 25.0 in.
Rider Weight (lbs): 170 - 250+ lbs.
Rider Weight (kg): 77 - 114+ kg
Center Fin: LBR 1.8 inch
Side Fins: Molded in deep
:D

79stars
03-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys, Im going to go check out the LF 143 pictured above. Doing some minor restore at them moment so it may be a while before I get back to you on the board but thanks for all the help.

mpwonka
04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
go to wakeworld.com they have a board wizzard, It will give you a ideah, The best way is to demo different boards and bindings try the hyperlite brand !!

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
you need to ride a 142-144... any smaller and you'll get frustrated quickly... more stable... better tracking... more forgiving... go w/ the bigger board... if you're strong you can do what you want w/ the board... should be able to at your height and weight anyway

icewake
04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
if you are planning to board off your 79 dont expect to get too much air. we used to have a 79 and i was only capable of about 3-4 feet. its a boat to learn off of. if you plan on ever selling it for a wakeboard MC let me know

WESSTAR
04-06-2008, 07:08 PM
spend as much or more for bindings that will make an ok board a lot better. If you cant stay in your binding but for a few minutes at a time because they are too tight or thin foot beds then you wont have fun and cant progress.

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I believe it is the lenght of your unit X 7.62".
I ride a 76.2 inch board. 8p