PDA

View Full Version : Is Texting Gey?????

TX.X-30 fan
03-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Just looking for opinions, I myself find it useless. I have something to say to someone, I have a phone, I call, end of story. :confused:

Roonie's
03-20-2008, 10:00 PM
I text when my wife or I am in a meeting and can't take a phone call. We still get questions answered without having to talk live line. Once we upgrade to mobile email then no more texting.

Covi
03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Works for me at times. I don't hate it!

T Scott
03-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I also use it when I am in meetings to get a question answered, etc. It is also a little easier than leaving a voice mail and easier for the recipient. Instead of dialing voice mail, listening to message, the recipient can just read ...."what time are we meeting?" Much easier in my opinion.

dog paw
03-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Just looking for opinions, I myself find it useless. I have something to say to someone, I have a phone, I call, end of story. :confused:

THANK YOU!
Fumbling for 26 letters on 10 keys on phones that connect to the internet LOL! This makes sense how???

Seems like one more way to distance interations with other people

Trendy kid stuff;)

TX.X-30 fan
03-20-2008, 10:12 PM
I text when my wife or I am in a meeting and can't take a phone call. We still get questions answered without having to talk live line. Once we upgrade to mobile email then no more texting.

I can see that, but how can you listen to the meeting if you are texting? I for one know if I were giving the presentation and folks had their heads down messing with their phones that in my mind would be considered rude?

dmayer84
03-20-2008, 10:15 PM
I can see that, but how can you listen to the meeting if you are texting? I for one know if I were giving the presentation and folks had their heads down messing with their phones that in my mind would be considered rude?

But if you know where the keys are you dont have to look down to see what you are typing. Just read and respond without looking.

88 PS190
03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Its not gey, but it can be.

There are plenty of good usages for text messaging, if I know the person in question will not be able to answer the phone if I called, and will not be able to listen to a message where they are, then for sure I will text message them.

Good examples: Hey, I cannot pick you up as I am stuck in traffic - is a message worthwhile of texting.

Bad text messages... Hey, what is up?

the first conveys a message that needed to be read so that other arrangements could happen, the second is a frivalous pain in the rear that I would not want to recieve and would never send.

Now the first is a good example of a man's text message, women on the otherhand send things like the second, open ended pointless text messages that could have you keying in for the next hour to get anywhere.

You will notice women never text message "I am going to go to _______ tonight for dinner at 7, would you like to come" They text, hey what's up.

To which you reply, at the moment I am doing this.
they respond cool, want to have dinner...

to which you reply.

Men cleverly avoid this by sending "Beer? Palmers @ 8?" This conveys in a very ungey message where, when, and why. to which a simple yes or no will tell the other person exactly what is happening, no open endedness, or chatting.

Otherwise it gets gey... unless it leads to booty.

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I have never understood texting, why not just call the person...dah..............

TX.X-30 fan
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Good point there 007, :D still can you concetrate on the message being given while formulating another topic in your mind?

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Good point there 007, :D still can you concetrate on the message being given while formulating another topic in your mind?

Concetrate or concentrate my collage educated friend.......;) :D

TX.X-30 fan
03-20-2008, 10:32 PM

There are plenty of good usages for text messaging, if I know the person in question will not be able to answer the phone if I called, and will not be able to listen to a message where they are, then for sure I will text message them.

Good examples: Hey, I cannot pick you up as I am stuck in traffic - is a message worthwhile of texting.

Bad text messages... Hey, what is up?

the first conveys a message that needed to be read so that other arrangements could happen, the second is a frivalous pain in the rear that I would not want to recieve and would never send.

Now the first is a good example of a man's text message, women on the otherhand send things like the second, open ended pointless text messages that could have you keying in for the next hour to get anywhere.

You will notice women never text message "I am going to go to _______ tonight for dinner at 7, would you like to come" They text, hey what's up.

To which you reply, at the moment I am doing this.
they respond cool, want to have dinner...

to which you reply.

Men cleverly avoid this by sending "Beer? Palmers @ 8?" This conveys in a very ungey message where, when, and why. to which a simple yes or no will tell the other person exactly what is happening, no open endedness, or chatting.

Otherwise it gets gey... unless it leads to booty.

Chauvinistic yes, but a great explanation!! 8p

TX.X-30 fan
03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Concetrate or concentrate my collage educated friend.......;) :D

Thanks Slinky, I went to school with Rod!! :(

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks Slinky, I went to school with Rod!! :(

You got it dude, I thought I saw this word spelled like that somewhere today....just like to intermesh threads, makes for stronger hemp.....;)

stuartmcnair
03-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I text all the time. I like it because it is a way to send a message and they can get back to me whenever. I have a treo so I have a real keyboard on my phone. I won't use my wife's Nokia to send a text because it is a pain.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-20-2008, 11:10 PM
I tell you one thing. If someone starts texting while they are having a conversation with me, I wap the phone right out of their hands. People need to learn to pay attention. I ruined one phone doing this, and I never paid for it either. texting on them things during a conversation or meeting is just plain RUDE. have some respect people. I feel good about wrecking that phone too.

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2008, 11:14 PM
I tell you one thing. If someone starts texting while they are having a conversation with me, I wap the phone right out of their hands. People need to learn to pay attention. I ruined one phone doing this, and I never paid for it either. texting on them things during a conversation or meeting is just plain RUDE. have some respect people. I feel good about wrecking that phone too.

Hey Ump, been to the doctor lately..............:D :D

Brent
03-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Is texting Gay?

Only if you are really Anal about it!:D

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Is texting Gay?

Only if you are really Anal about it!:D

No Tex is gay...texting is gey.............:uglyhamme

03-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey Ump, been to the doctor lately..............:D :D

I have no need for doctors. They just want my money, but they arent upfront about it. thats why hukers are far more trustworthy.

TX.X-30 fan
03-20-2008, 11:41 PM
No Tex is gay...texting is gey.............:uglyhamme

Slinky, Tex is a one legged ski jock guy that loves martinis. ;)

TX.X-30 fan
03-20-2008, 11:45 PM
I have no need for doctors. They just want my money, but they arent upfront about it. thats why hukers are far more trustworthy.

hukers= mans best friend. 8p

bridomine99
03-20-2008, 11:53 PM

Anyone else see the irony in this? So your driving a car while screwing around with a little keyboard. No offense man, but really? I used to laugh when people would talk about banning cell phones in cars. However, the more time I spend on the road, I am ready to give it up (even though I feel like I can handle it), because I swear half the population becomes brain dead when they turn the key. If you really want to see how bad it is, take a motorcycle for a ride around the closest metro any evening around rush hour.

03-20-2008, 11:53 PM
huckers= mans best friend. 8p

I was typing that so Rod would understand it.

LKNMC
03-21-2008, 12:12 AM
I used to try to avoid texting because it was so hard to type on the keypads but since I've gotten my iPhone I text a lot more

TX.X-30 fan
03-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Anyone else see the irony in this? So your driving a car while screwing around with a little keyboard. No offense man, but really? I used to laugh when people would talk about banning cell phones in cars. However, the more time I spend on the road, I am ready to give it up (even though I feel like I can handle it), because I swear half the population becomes brain dead when they turn the key. If you really want to see how bad it is, take a motorcycle for a ride around the closest metro any evening around rush hour.

For that matter any time of day would make your point.

TX.X-30 fan
03-21-2008, 12:29 AM
I was typing that so Rod would understand it.

Sorry to be the one to bring bad news UMP, Rod died typing on some counter culture thread sometime this morning. All the details are not clear just yet. God be with our wakeraft brother.

Willski
03-21-2008, 12:43 AM
One good example when texting worked for me. I went to get a beer at a NASCAR race. Got back, my friends were not in our seats. They had spotted some better seats open (closer). Friend texts me the new locale. No way I could have recieved a phone call.

ski_king
03-21-2008, 12:50 AM
I only text to my kids, seems to be the only way to communicate with them.

erkoehler
03-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Text all the time. Probably 2o-30 a day.

Posting this from my phone too......

TX.X-30 fan
03-21-2008, 01:00 AM
I still think if you are a consistant texter you might have gey tendancies? To put it more simply for those of you that text

Texting = latent homosexual tendencies ;)

88 PS190
03-21-2008, 01:48 AM
swear half the population becomes brain dead when they turn the key. If you really want to see how bad it is, take a motorcycle for a ride around the closest metro any evening around rush hour.

heck you should try texting while riding rush hour on your motorcycle, don't care who you are its pretty durned hard to clutch while holding the phone in your hand. :cool:

just kidding, I can text and drive, as well as other things.

I think it depends on your tech savvy, some people for instance cannot figure out how to type using the T9 txt entry style, where instead of pressing the same number 3 times or two times you just type the word out and it picks the nearest, then you cycle. I can do that sitting in traffic, and have done that while at stop lights on the bike many times.

Just depends, I do actually hate chatty messaging, but I am all over the meaningful message on it.

Heck I think most people on this board have a pretty good addiction to the messaging, isn't that all we are doing now?

uawaterskier
03-21-2008, 02:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t041g4X-aM0

TMCNo1
03-21-2008, 06:49 AM
I still think if you are a consistant texter you might have gey tendancies? To put it more simply for those of you that text

Texting = latent homosexual tendencies ;)

I heard just plain ole Homotextuals!:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
03-21-2008, 06:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t041g4X-aM0

That's sweet, what's the next fad, smoke signals?;)

2RLAKE
03-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Texting can be extremely important ... for example:

you're out skiing and not sure who's dock to meet at for happy hour ...
you're out hunting and see a massive buck heading towards your buddy ... you give hi a friendly head-up
you're on a business trip out drinking late and want to drunk dial some friends ... better to text them and not wake up their wife (or husband)

ShamrockIV
03-21-2008, 09:22 AM
texting is great!! especially since my wife is back in college and i am in meetngs and other times i can't make a "call"!!!

skeeler
03-21-2008, 09:32 AM
If so, I cover my gayness very well by surrounding myself with beautiful women. :D

Ric
03-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Good point there 007, :D still can you concetrate on the message being given while formulating another topic in your mind? you've truly outdone yourself

T Scott
03-21-2008, 09:42 AM
If so, I cover my gayness very well by surrounding myself with beautiful women. :D

I have no idea what you're talking about....why don't you prove it by posting at least 10 pics of these so called "beautiful women" you are refering to. 8p :D

TX.X-30 fan
03-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I think it mostly was an invention of cell companies to boost revenues in a saturated market. I mean the technology is old (pagers) but was sold to the younger generation and it took off because for the most part they don't pay the bills. Now there are kids out there downloading songs for a buck a piece to listen to them on a cell speaker the size of a Q-tip.

I am never amazed a how gullible the american consumer can be. 8p

Maristar210
03-21-2008, 09:54 AM

Yeah but you're a ho-mo 8p 8p 8p

Roonie's
03-21-2008, 09:57 AM
I think talking about text messaging is kind of gey.

ShamrockIV
03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
I think talking about text messaging is kind of gey.

amen my brother!!!!!

too bad i couldn't send this from my treo but i am using it to text!!!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
03-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah but you're a ho-mo 8p 8p 8p

Thanks 210, you have elevated the discussion as usual. ;)

Lennyp04
03-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I like texting all my friends in school while I should be paying attention...lol

I usually only text in school unless one of my friends texts me then I text back. But usually its about plans after school or weekend or sumtin like that

03-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I am never amazed a how gullible the american consumer can be. 8p
you and me both.

wakolman
03-21-2008, 10:44 AM

If you have to ask, yes. I don't text.

ski_king
03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Threadjack.

While at a traffic light last fall, I saw the girl in fron of me, on the back of a Harley was texting.
When the light turned green, she almost fell off and dropped her phone as she was grabbing to hang on.
I almost ran over her phone....

6ballsisall
03-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Say what you want but there is an extremely large business opportunity brewing around the cell phone and texting industry. ;) There is definetely ways to monetize from all of this craze

Ric
03-21-2008, 11:31 AM
I think it mostly was an invention of cell companies to boost revenues in a saturated market. I mean the technology is old (pagers) but was sold to the younger generation and it took off because for the most part they don't pay the bills. Now there are kids out there downloading songs for a buck a piece to listen to them on a cell speaker the size of a Q-tip.

I am never amazed a how gullible the american consumer can be. 8p easy fella, you are flirting with the theory of wakeboard boat manufacturers:cool:

TX.X-30 fan
03-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Threadjack.

While at a traffic light last fall, I saw the girl in fron of me, on the back of a Harley was texting.
When the light turned green, she almost fell off and dropped her phone as she was grabbing to hang on.
I almost ran over her phone....

Did you piss yourself from laughing???? :D

ShamrockIV
03-21-2008, 11:44 AM
texting is about as gey as satellite tv, plasma tv's, cell phone's, and dvd players!!!oh yeah and EFI in MC's!!!
embrace technology!!!

TMCNo1
03-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Say what you want but there is an extremely large business opportunity brewing around the cell phone and texting industry. There is definetely ways to monetize from all of this craze

You are absolutely right! The Insurance Industry, Body Shops, Car Dealers, Doctors, Hospitals, Funeral Homes and Cemetaries are in fact already profiting from it, from all the wrecks by people trying to talk/text while driving and not paying attention and crashing, injuring and killing people.:o :( :mad:

wakolman
03-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I love passing a young kid driving on the highway trying to keep their car in between the lines while texting. I always think that I am glad the accident will be behind me. It is just nature's way of culling the herd!

6ballsisall
03-21-2008, 11:51 AM
You are absolutely right! The Insurance Industry, Body Shops, Car Dealers, Doctors, Hospitals, Funeral Homes and Cemetaries are in fact already profiting from it, from all the wrecks by people trying to talk/text while driving and not paying attention and crashing, injuring and killing people.:o :( :mad:

Those too...........

Ric
03-21-2008, 11:59 AM
You are absolutely right! The Insurance Industry, Body Shops, Car Dealers, Doctors, Hospitals, Funeral Homes and Cemetaries are in fact already profiting from it, from all the wrecks by people trying to talk/text while driving and not paying attention and crashing, injuring and killing people.:o :( :mad: Dammit we need another law.

ShamrockIV
03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Dammit we need another law.

yeah ric next it will be a law that says i got to lose weight and quit eating steaks and drinking adult beverages!! especially if they get this free health care crap!!! u ain't seen expensive till the gov provides it and it is "free"

Ric
03-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Look people we either need to start taxing this text message thang or ban it! which will it be?

ShamrockIV
03-21-2008, 12:12 PM
dude what are u gonna tax next?? emails??? posts on TMC?? I personally pay more than enough tax!!like d@mn property tax on land i already own?? i think george washington and the boys would not agree with that!!

6ballsisall
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Look people we either need to start taxing this text message thang or ban it! which will it be?

I just knew you were a Texas liberal............:rolleyes:

Roonie's
03-21-2008, 12:18 PM
A buddy of mine and his company invented the American Idol texting with AT&T which has really brought texting mainstream. Needless to say he has since sold the company and is hanging out.

Ric
03-21-2008, 12:19 PM
I just knew you were a Texas liberal............:rolleyes: Be real man. We're going to need services for all these implications of texting. Taxing the act is the ONLY way we're going to be able to pay for all these needs. Accidents, hospitalization, insurance fraud, carpal tunnel, finger cancer, speech regeneration therapy. There is no other way to pay for this.

:rolleyes:

ShamrockIV
03-21-2008, 12:32 PM
ric all i can say is: lol, ttyl, lmao, etc!!!!

Lennyp04
03-21-2008, 12:40 PM
idk my bff jill?

bringin that one back!

03 35th Anniversary
03-21-2008, 12:48 PM
idk my bff jill?

bringin that one back!
Prof that texting is gay

flipper
03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Prof that texting is gay
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

ShamrockIV
03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Prof that texting is gay

kinda like tinted ski boat windows???:D

Lennyp04
03-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah if you text like that.

or you could be mature about it and text big words instead of those stupid abbreviations!

I would much rather call someone, however texting has its places where its nice! Like when you need to say something you wouldnt want your parents to hear....or in many of your cases....your children!

ProTour X9
03-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Would any of you guys have used the abbreviations in telegrams had you known of them??

sand2snow22
03-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Talking and social skills will get you a lot farther in life than looking down at a phone and texting. Is it me or are all people with Iphones constantly on them?

Lennyp04
03-21-2008, 01:06 PM
hahaha yes I'm always on mine doing TT or other stuff like facebook.

What bout you Sodar?

03 35th Anniversary
03-21-2008, 01:10 PM
kinda like tinted ski boat windows???:D
sorry didn't mean to call you out like that I didn't know you sent text messages like that :D

TMCNo1
03-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Be real man. We're going to need services for all these implications of texting. Taxing the act is the ONLY way we're going to be able to pay for all these needs. Accidents, hospitalization, insurance fraud, carpal tunnel, finger cancer, speech regeneration therapy. There is no other way to pay for this.

:rolleyes:

You left out Rehab for TT posting! I don't even read those posts anymore! I really think there is already a TextTax included in every ProShop item that can be bought!:mad:

ShamrockIV
03-21-2008, 02:19 PM
sorry didn't mean to call you out like that I didn't know you sent text messages like that :D

nah u did not call me out. i usually send my wife texts about dinner plans etc. or text my buddies cause i know they may be in meetings or where they can't talk.

coz
03-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Texting and Walking: Dangerous Mix

You might call it an avocational hazard. A recent ITN News video in the U.K. shows that some London pedestrians have become so preoccupied with e-mailing and text messaging on their BlackBerrys and cell phones that they can't make it down a city block without crashing into lampposts or trash bins. One of the most hazardous streets for "walking while texting," according to the Monty Python–esque video clip, is East London's busy Brick Lane, lined with trendy boutiques and curry shops, where people have been filmed walking head down, ricocheting off various stationary sidewalk objects. The solution? Wrap Brick Lane's lampposts with fluffy, white rugby goalpost cushions.

The video hit the Internet in early March and was met with widespread media attention ("Britain's first safe text street has been created complete with padded lampposts to protect millions of mobile phone users from getting hurt in street accidents while walking and texting," the London Daily Mail proclaimed) along with much twittering in the blogosphere about the possible expansion of the Brick Lane pilot project. But it turned out that the lamppost-wrapping scheme was just a clever public-relations ploy mounted by 118118, a British directory assistance company, and Living Streets, a well-known charity dedicated to making cities more pedestrian-friendly. In tandem with the publicity stunt, Living Streets conducted an unscientific survey of 1,000 texting Brits and found that 1 in 10 — or, potentially, 6.5 million people nationwide — had suffered injuries while texting and walking.

In a world where billions of text messages move through the ether daily — Filipinos hold the national record, having sent a billion texts per day in 2007 — it's no surprise that news of texting-while-walking accidents piqued such global interest. Though the lamppost bumpers were removed from Brick Lane after only 24 hours, the debate over such "nanny government" maneuvers and the rampant dangers of walking while texting rages on. It's a debate that New Yorkers joined last year when State Senator Carl Kruger of Brooklyn introduced a bill in Albany to combat "iPod oblivion." His bill, which was prompted by the death of two constituents who were killed crossing the street while listening to their iPods, sought to ban pedestrians from using earphones in crosswalks in New York's large urban areas. The bill languished in committee last year, but the Senator has reintroduced it in 2008.

Intuitively, the perils of texting while walking make sense. But George Branyan, pedestrian coordinator for the District of Columbia Department of Transportation, says that in most pedestrian accidents, neither text messaging nor iPod oblivion are major factors. "I am not seeing it in the crash data," Branyan says.

Most pedestrian accidents, according to Branyan, happen because people jaywalk or drivers ignore existing traffic laws — which require, for example, yielding to pedestrians in the crosswalk, heeding the speed limit and stopping at red lights. A pedestrian dies every 110 minutes in the United States, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, and there has been an increase in the last few years in pedestrian deaths in Washington and other urban areas across the country, prompting governments in the D.C. metro area to launch a new advertising campaign aimed at increasing pedestrian safety. It is both "edgy and blunt," Branyan says of the radio spots and posters, which depict a violent pedestrian-car collision. The most recent pedestrian fatality in Washington was typical, Branyan says: an elderly woman who was crossing the street with the right of way was hit last week by a driver turning right on a green light, knocking her almost 50 feet.

When the Department of Transportation and the D.C. police recently conducted a two-month street-safety campaign, undercover cops at crossings and pull-over police units issued 6,000 tickets — two-thirds to drivers and one-third to pedestrians for jaywalking, Branyan said. Though Washington police, along with other law enforcement agencies, agree that the increase in text messaging endangers both drivers and pedestrians (many states have outlawed text messaging while driving, and Maryland and Virginia are considering banning cyclists from text messaging on the go), Branyan thinks that creating new laws to ban texting, particularly in urban areas where police already face many law-enforcement challenges, is less useful than enforcing laws that are already on the books.

Traffic safety engineers are developing new technologies to alert drivers to areas where pedestrian traffic is heavy at certain times of the day. St. Petersburg, Fla., for example, has installed motion detectors at some crossings where there are no traffic signals; when a pedestrian approaches, a squawkbox urges him or her to push a button before crossing, triggering high-intensity flashing lights that drivers can see some distance from the intersection. City officials credit the system with boosting driver compliance with crosswalk laws from 8% to 84%. Washington plans to install similar bilingual devices at some of its high-risk intersections. In Boulder, Colo., the city has placed audible warning devices at busy crosswalks — when a pedestrian pushes the crosswalk button, lights flash and a "Use caution when crossing" message is played to remind the pedestrian to be careful.

Some communities, however, have opted for much lower-tech solutions. In County Mayo, Ireland, where rising pedestrian accidents have caused concern, elementary-school children persuaded the Irish Road Safety Authority last week to revive a popular 1970s ditty called the "Safe Cross Code," which exhorts six easy steps (including "look for a safe place" and "don't hurry") for safe street crossing. But even the classics can sometimes afford a little modernization: the Irish musician Brendan Grace has agreed to re-record the old-time jingle as a cell-phone ringtone, which can now be downloaded for a fee that goes toward supporting national traffic-safety programs.

It's ok to chew gum and walk but don't text and walk. :confused:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-24-2008, 10:14 AM

Basically, you are on here texting aren't you??:confused:

TX.X-30 fan
03-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Nah I,m Team Talking. :D

chudson
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Students at the Universty of Iowa were just text messaged about a dangerous shooting situation that was developing in the city this morning, that's pretty important warning isn't it!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340920,00.html

ShamrockIV
03-24-2008, 12:41 PM
yes texting does have its advantages!!!

TX.X-30 fan
04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
yes texting does have its advantages!!!

By that you mean through auto accidents and such it sort of culls the herd?? :D

JBaker
04-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Talking and social skills will get you a lot farther in life than looking down at a phone and texting. Is it me or are all people with Iphones constantly on them?

Well it would be tough to know who has an iPhone if they aren't on them. And I would hope anyone dropping $400+ on a phone would get some good use.

Male to male texting is borderline gey.

uawaterskier
04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
old people are funny...get with the times and start texting!

dapicatti
04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey...I resemble that remark.....