PDA

View Full Version : 96 prostar won't start

stuttgart
03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
My Indmar equipped 205 will not start, looking for some help from the gurus.

With ignition on, when you try to crank it completely shuts down, no electricity to the system. Eventually it will reset if you turn the power off for a while but usually does the same thing again. When it was starting it would struggle to crank when the engine was hot.

I have cleaned all of the battery terminals and grounds. I also replaced the solenoid, but still it will not start, at this point i am thinking it is the starter itself but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.
TIA!

stuttgart
03-20-2008, 07:50 PM
forgot to mention that the batteries are in fact fully charged

Jerseydave
03-20-2008, 08:50 PM
could be the starter, but you need to test the cranking amps with a BCS tester from a repair garage. Test your battery with it too. Anything else is just guesswork.

Have you tried cranking with the spark plugs out? Maybe water in cylinders? (hope not for your sake)

JLeuck64
03-20-2008, 09:35 PM
If you have access to a Digital Multi Meter set it for the 20V DC scale. Place the red lead on the positive battery terminal (B+) and the black lead on the negative battery terminal (B-). Have someone crank the engine over for you and observe the DMM reading. A good HEALTHY battery should be able to maintain more than 9.6 volts while the starter cranks the engine over. The higher the value the better, but if voltage falls below that value you won't have enough to run the ignition system. Get another battery...

If you have a healthy battery (maintains good voltage) but the engine cranks slowly or doesn't start, you have some resistance somewhere. That resistance can be from bad connections (inspect and clean), starter cables that have too much resistance (replace em), a faulty starter motor (replace it), or mechanical resistance in the engine (yikes!) Actually I have seen frozen engines pull the voltage way down on a good battery, but you can try and turn the engine over with hand tools to check for abnormal bind.

If you have a healthy battery and the starter doesn't move or just clicks then you have a problem with the control circuit. That could be related to the ignition switch, the neutral safety switch, the starter relay or any of the wiring related to that circuit.

All testing should start with the battery, once you have determine that is OK you can move on to other items.