PDA

View Full Version : I think I blew up my heat exchanger?!

rhsprostar
03-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Let me start by explaining that I have 04 197tt WITH LQ9 with closed cooling and just got it last summer. I did the winterization myself figuring how hard could it be, it's got closed cooling right??? Did it as per the manual leaving the water hoses off of both the impellar side and the heat exchanger side for saftey.
Anyway, went to check on the boat in storage this morning and everything looked great. Hard to see cause it's kind of dark in the barn but it looked just as i left it. Took off the cover to air it out a bit, opened the top of the motor cover, opened the ski locker up etc.
For whatever reason I took the rad cap off the coolant resevoir and looked in.......no coolant! Seemed odd but whatever, no panic.
Poked around the motor a bit more and then I heard liquid emptying out of the bottom of the boat onto the barn floor. Looked underneath the boat and... green coolant streaming out of the bilge drain.
Oh o.......that aint good.
In a bit of a panic and in the dark, I managed to get the motor cover fully open and realized that coolant was coming out of the heat exchanger, from the water inlet side that i had left off in the fall.
Took a minute to calm down and figure out what had happened.
Now what i think has happened is that somehow i didn't get all of the water out of the heat exchanger in the fall and that it ruptured over the winter. When i started poking around it allowed the rupture to fully open up, allowing my coolant to leak out.
Does this sound possible?
Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?
Could there be more damage?
How much is a heat exchanger for an LQ9?

:(

flipper
03-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Doesn't really make sense to me, being that you had anti freeze in it.

Sodar
03-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Even if ya did mess up the exchanger, you should only be out about $400... they are a disposable product in a salt enviroment, so I would think they gotta be pretty in expensive.

rhsprostar
03-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Well there was coolant on the Motor side of the the exchanger but i had emptied (thought I had) the water side out and left the hose off.
Not sure what the exchanger looks like on the inside, something like a rad?
I think the ice must have damaged the fins/pipes/???? inside the exchanger.

rhsprostar
03-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Any ideas would be helpful.
thanks

TMCNo1
03-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I think I would be contacting a MC dealer soon. If the core will not come out by removing bolts, it's probably a sealed unit and a radiator shop probably can't repair it, but it might be worth a try, you never know!

Jerseydave
03-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Remove it and have it tested at a rad shop.

Check your engine oil for a/f contamination.
Check the engine block on both sides for cracks, missing freeze plugs, etc. (sounds like you're okay though I think)

Hopefully you just need a new heat exchanger.

CarlosCabanas
03-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Seems early to be dewinterizing in Ontario!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Uh-Oh .