PDA

View Full Version : Flushing out Salt Water on '84 Stars N Stripes

Skiufool
08-09-2004, 12:26 AM
What's the procedure for flushing out the engine properly after running it in saltwater? It has a Pleasurecraft 351 inboard engine.

Kell
08-09-2004, 12:46 AM
I would think that you would need to remove the raw water intake hose from the hull fitting, put a garden hose in that raw water intake hose and turn on the fresh water supply, then fire up the engine and let it run for 10-15 minutes. Then wash the entire boat, running gear, shaft, strut, rudder, trailer (especially the breaks). I've also heard that some use a product to neturalize the effects of salt, but I don't recall what it is called....may be "salt-be-gone" ;) I'm sure there are other ways of accomplishing this as well.

NatesGr8
08-09-2004, 10:14 PM
What I do is have my little brother climb under the boat with a homemade flushing system and i run the boat for about 10 minutes. The flushing system was made by taking the handle off of our plunger and drilling out a hole where the bottome of the handle sat. Then i jam the end of the hose into the spot for the handle. Here's where the little brother comes in, I send him under the boat to put the plunger over the intake strainer and i turn on the hose. I then start the boat and have him stay under there while it runs for the next 10 minutes. They also make devices that would replace the plunger and little brother and sell them at boaters world or west marine for about $50. I just cant justify the $50 when i got this one for free :)

tall_ andy
08-09-2004, 10:43 PM
I like the idea of the little brother. We need to see a picture of that one.
I was going to try to "T" a shutoff valve into the raw water pick up so that I could easily hook up a hose to flush/run the boat at the house when working on it etc. I haven't seen anyone post that they've done this so it might not be a great idea, we'll wait and see

Kell
08-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Tall Andy,

Try searching for Flush Pro, I know I've seen a "how to" on this site or may be at MBO. Seems like a relatively easy install.

Bert
08-10-2004, 12:28 AM
If you don't have a little brother you can try a fake a lake

http://clickit.go2net.com/search?pos=7&ppos=2&plnks=3&uplnks=17&cat=web&cid=239171&site=srch&area=srch.noncomm.google&shape=textlink&cp=info.dogpl&cluster-click=0&pd=0&coll=1&query=fake+a+lake&rawto=http://www.iboats.com/products/16/38409_fake_a_lake_engine_flush.html

lakes Rick
08-10-2004, 01:37 AM
I have notified the authorities of the "little brother abuse" going on here.... I bet you let him sit in the drivers seat and push the buttons while he makes vroom sounds after the dirty deed....

As to the salt water I know some fishing guys who take their boats in the ocean.. When they pull out they stop at a fresh water lake and dunk the trailer and run the boat around for 20 minutes... Seems like you get the whole shebang at once........

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 07:11 AM
You really do that to your little bro? Man, that's just mean... :noface:

River Rat
08-10-2004, 07:44 AM
On my Ski Brendella I use a fake a lake and it has always worked out great. On my new 98 PS 205 the trailer bunks are in the way, I can use the fake a lake but itís hard to get a good fit on the bottom of the boat. To solve this problem I just ordered a Flush Pro from Discount Inboard Marine $49.99. My ski partner has on his Malibu and it works great, just open the engine cover hook up your water hose and fire her up. when you are flushing you can see the water flowing through the clear plastic so you know you are getting good flow. After I run mine for about 10 min. I disconnect the water and pump the throttle 2 times and shut it off, this blowes out most of the excess water.

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 11:20 AM
My father-in-law has a 98 PS 205 and the intake is close to, but not blocked by the bunks. I've been working on another type of device that would not require a person to get under the boat, but haven't had time to perfect it yet. I'll probably posts pictures here one of these days after I have a chance to test it out.

lakes Rick
08-10-2004, 12:19 PM
I just unplug my cold water intake for the shower, unscrew the fitting, screw on the hose fitting adaptor I purchased at the hardware store, hook up the hose and run it... Seems to simple ......

NatesGr8
08-11-2004, 01:58 AM
The little brother doesn't mind, I just tell him it's a small price to pay for all the fun he has on the boat. I'll have some pics in a few days :D

leewilson
08-12-2004, 05:45 PM
I run in salt water all the time. For conveniece, I installed the Flush Pro system, beats going under the boat and attaching Fake a Lake. I use Salt Away to neutralize salt as much as possible, comes with an attachment to the hose. I then attached quick connects and disconnets and the Salt Away attachment to the Flushpro so I can connect and disconnet the hose easily.

The procedure I follow when I am done is raise the boat on the lift. Attach the hose and start the water and the engine for 10 to 15 minutes, I then turn on the Salt away for 1-2 minutes and shut the engine off so the Salt Away stays in the engine.

tph
08-13-2004, 12:26 AM
I installed a "T" valve at the raw water pick up on my '83. Instead of connecting to a garden hose I put the hose into a 5 gal. bucket that is filled using a garden hose. That way I can check the draw of the water pump as well. The system works great. You've just got to remember to put the valve in the right position before you launch. Also, put a cap on the garden hose fitting when you are not flushing the system.