PDA

View Full Version : Friends of Tim's Ford Lake in TN

uncleboo
03-19-2008, 09:38 PM
For those of you in and around Middle TN who like to use Tim's Ford Lake, please take a moment to read this letter. Many supporters of Tim's Ford lake are opposing proposals to add 3500 more boat slips to the lake. They have retained an attorney to guide them through the legal process and ensure they have adequate representation while making their collective voices heard. I have also attached the proposed changes to the lake which will dramatically affect future recreation.

P.O. Box 362;
Winchester, TN 37398
Email: friends_of_tims_ford@comcast.net
February 25, 2008
Dear Friends of Tims Ford Supporters:

We held a meeting of the FTF supporters on Saturday (2/23/08) to review the status of our case, answer any questions of those attending and decide on our possible future options based on our current financial status. This meeting was attended by FTF supporters, FTF officers and the FTF attorneys. I know many of you were not able to attend because of other commitments so I want to advise you of the decisions reached in the meeting. Before that, I want to cover a few points discussed in the meeting that are key to the decisions reached:

• The purpose of our lawsuit is to protect the water quality, improve boating safety and preserve the quality of life on Tims Ford Lake
• Our lawsuit is a NEPA (National Environmental Policy Act) case so it is based on purely environmental impacts to Tims Ford. We have secured expert witness reports on water quality and boating safety, which we feel are very strong and we should win our case
• If we win, TVA must complete a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement which would include consideration of all evidence presented in the case and go through the complete public review and comment period before completion. When completed, it would then come back to the court for final disposition. We expect the result will be a greatly diminished plan for the allowance of future community docks and marina’s
• If we do not proceed with the case, the Land Management Plan will be fully implemented and could add as many as 3,500 more boat slips to the current 1,200 already on the lake – I have attached a map of the lake so you can see the locations of all the possible Zone 7 parcels highlighted in yellow (3 more like Fanning Bend) and Zone 8 parcels highlighted in red (53 more like Cypress Point)
• While Judge Carter (Magistrate Judge) has ordered the Interveners into the case, the final decision on their admission will be made by Judge Mattice – he had not ruled on this matter. If any are concerned about Judge Carter’s ruling and the possibility of personal liability, first, we are not releasing the list of our supporters and Judge Carter stated in his ruling – “If the NEPA claim has some merit, FTF will not have falsely accused TVA & TDEC of NEPA violations in order to interfere with the applicants (Interveners) prospective business relationships”. In addition, FTF asserts that TN. Code (SLAPP – Strategic Lawsuits Against Political Litigation Act) provides any person who communicates to a government agency information in connection with a public or governmental issue shall be immune from civil liability on claims based upon the communication to the agency. Judge Carter correctly stated that there is an exception to this statute but only “if FTF knew the information communicated was false”. Lastly, TVA has placed their dock permits on hold, not FTF or the Court so if they have any issue, it is with TVA, not FTF.
• The cost of the litigation has primarily increased because of the judge’s order to allow the interveners in the case and we do not have the funds to get us to the end. A trial is scheduled to start on Oct. 21, 2008. To complete the case, we expect the additional cost to be $160,000 and the officers recommend we continue but acknowledge we can only do so if these additional funds can be raised from our supporters.

After discussion, those in attendance unanimously recommended that we proceed but all agreed that could only be done if we could raise the needed $160K. I am attaching a Pledge Card for your review. We are requesting that each supporter pledge to provide $1,600 over the next 7 months to support this action. We recognize that everyone cannot support this action at the same level so we ask you to consider supporting this action to the fullest extent possible. We request that you advise FTF of your support level as soon as possible by returning the signed pledge card. to: Friends of Tims Ford; P.O. Box 362; Winchester, TN 37398. We will keep you informed as to how we are proceeding toward our goal.

New members please fill out the pledge card completely, so that we may have accurate information on how to contact you in the future. We thank you for your interest and support in saving Tims Ford Lake.

Steve Hammond
Chairman - FTF

Pledge Card Following
Additional Attachments: Zone 7 and 8 Map

icewake
03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
do you know who is putting these docks in?

Hrkdrivr
03-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Is this really an environmental issue or just some folks trying to prevent more Wallys (Wallies?) from having access to the lake? The boating safety issue I can kinda buy...

uncleboo
03-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Icewake, I believe it is the developers of the Fanning Bend and Cypress Point who are trying to put the extra docks in.

Hrkdrivr, I think it is a bit of both. I know many of the homeowners oppose adding that much new boat traffic, which can affect water conditions as well as quality of life on the lake. They are taking the eco-friendly route for the legal review, but many of them just don't want that many new boats on such a small lake.

bcampbe7
03-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Tims gets crowded in the main channel as it is. I can't imagine 3500 more boats on the lake! :eek3:

jakethebt
03-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Any update to this? I was goofing around on the web and saw some places on Tim's Ford Lake had what looked like community docks and others said hard to obtain dock permit. Others said nothing. What is the latest status. The community dock may save some individual cost and labor but not too great to hang out on. Is it possible to find building lots on the lake that you can put in a dock?

rlwiley
03-28-2010, 08:04 PM
We all have MCs for a reason....to get out on the lake with friends and family and relax. What gives anyone the right to try and keep others from doing the same?!If you want less people on a lake build a private pond.

TX.X-30 fan
03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Tims gets crowded in the main channel as it is. I can't imagine 3500 more boats on the lake! :eek3:

And TN. boaters too.............................. :eek3:

JimN
03-28-2010, 08:32 PM
We all have MCs for a reason....to get out on the lake with friends and family and relax. What gives anyone the right to try and keep others from doing the same?!If you want less people on a lake build a private pond.

A body of water has a capacity when it comes to water-borne activities. When speed, alcohol and carelessness are added, the number of boats that can safely be used at any given time drops. Also, shoreline erosion is increased dramatically when wave action intensifies and that's one of the areas where the environmental impact must be considered. 3500 additional boats is a lot to add.

jakethebt
03-28-2010, 09:09 PM
The original post was a while ago, is there any update?

TinaSkiGirl
03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm from TN and we go there all the time!!!

TX.X-30 fan
03-28-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm from TN and we go there all the time!!!

You drive topless right???????????? I've seen you there.

TX.X-30 fan
03-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Nip-tuck-Jus-Sayin.

03 35th Anniversary
03-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Nip-tuck-Jus-Sayin.

Damn pervert!!!!

TinaSkiGirl
03-29-2010, 07:47 AM
You drive topless right???????????? I've seen you there.

No, You must be jacking it to some other girl out of your league!

trickskier
03-29-2010, 07:56 AM
No, You must be jacking it to some other girl out of your league!

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

TX.X-30 fan
03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Tina looks great don't let her fool you, its damn hard to even tell.

jakethebt
03-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Wow... all i was wanting to know is if you can still put docks on Tim's Ford Lake... maybe you guys should look at the swimsuit thread instead... thread jackers!

TX.X-30 fan
03-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Wow... all i was wanting to know is if you can still put docks on Tim's Ford Lake... maybe you guys should look at the swimsuit thread instead... thread jackers!

:D:D

icewake
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
You can not obtain dock permits anymore. If you buy a place without a dock present but that person obtained a dock permit in the past you can still build a dock. However, the marina may still be able to get one, who knows.

jakethebt
03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
So if the previous owner does not have one it is a crap shoot. What about other lakes in the area, are they any better for permits or boating?