PDA

View Full Version : Trailer problems: My brakes are locking up

Bubble
03-19-2008, 08:54 PM
everytime the trailer is pushed in reverse.

Everything is fine when rolling forward and when the power is disconnected for a while. I can then push it backwards.

Anyone know why my brakes would lock up when backing the trailer.

That's gonna pretty much make the thing useless.

It's the trailer for the 99 Maristar 230 VRS.

Thanks in advance.

skeeler
03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Is the boat on it or not? If not, try flipping the flat plug over before reversing.

Hammer
03-19-2008, 09:00 PM
There is a rollback preventer on the bracks (not really sure what it is really called). There needs to be power from your reverse light sent to the trailer to release the brakes. You should have a FIVE pin connector on the trailer. Like a four pin except the fifth is the reverse lights.

Bubble
03-19-2008, 09:18 PM
The boat isn't on the trailer, but I need to bring it home. What's the flat plug? Or where is it? Thanks.

----

...the need for power for a reverse light would make sense. I don't have a car that will pull this and I'm just using friends connections that are already on their trucks.

defender1009
03-19-2008, 09:29 PM
The flat plug is the plug at the end of your trailer wiring harness. Your boat trailer has a 5 plug, and your truck only has a 4 plug---that missing plug on your truck side is usually wired to the reverse lights when it is present, and that sends a current to the trailer harness when the reverse lights are on, which overrides the "rollback preventer".

Like Skeeler said, just flip the plug around before reversing, flip on your running lights, and you can back up with no problem.

Bubble
03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
There is a rollback preventer on the bracks (not really sure what it is really called). There needs to be power from your reverse light sent to the trailer to release the brakes. You should have a FIVE pin connector on the trailer. Like a four pin except the fifth is the reverse lights.

Since for this season I'm using friends trucks and only need to tow about 3 miles, my question is this:

Is it really required to have the fifth pin? Is there a way to override the rollback prevention system that anyone knows of?

Thanks in advance.

DBR
03-19-2008, 09:34 PM
There is a key that is made to fit in the slide tounge to prevent the pressure from engaging the brakes. Try your local dealer to find one. I think most MC trailers have this feature

dpolen
03-19-2008, 09:52 PM
once you find the "key", use some tape to hold it in place on the trailer...you've essentially by-passed this rollback mechanism.

Bubble
03-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WESSTAR
03-20-2008, 12:58 AM
If your friends truck is a newer model it will have a 7 pin round plug above the bumper. All you need is an adapter that takes the 7 round plug and makes it a 5 pin flat. I have that on mine and it makes it so I do not have to flip the plugs just back up. I think they cost less then $10 at camping world or an RV dealer

Hammer
03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
If your friends truck is a newer model it will have a 7 pin round plug above the bumper. All you need is an adapter that takes the 7 round plug and makes it a 5 pin flat. I have that on mine and it makes it so I do not have to flip the plugs just back up. I think they cost less then $10 at camping world or an RV dealer

I got one from Wal-#art.

east tx skier
03-20-2008, 09:50 PM
once you find the "key", use some tape to hold it in place on the trailer...you've essentially by-passed this rollback mechanism.

Get a pair of flat magnets at Lowe's. Works great to hold that key in place.

dpolen
03-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Get a pair of flat magnets at Lowe's. Works great to hold that key in place.

I like your solution better! I imagine it looks a little better than duct tape ;)

cbryan70
03-20-2008, 10:10 PM
you can just get power to the fifth plug. Use a battery jump started and connect a wire to it and put it in. Or somthing along those lines

TMCNo1
03-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Since for this season I'm using friends trucks and only need to tow about 3 miles, my question is this:

Is it really required to have the fifth pin? Is there a way to override the rollback prevention system that anyone knows of?

Thanks in advance.

What would be wrong in wiring or getting your friends truck wired properly and be done with it, so you can tow it the right way and use the brakes as they were intended?