PDA

View Full Version : ballast help

dwvktm450
03-19-2008, 09:52 AM
I am trying to help a friend improve his Supra SSV ballast system.

We are thinking about using Jabsco Ballast puppys. I know the MasterCraft guys have some experience with these. Since these are reversible pumps, can the water be pumped out through the bottom of the boat. I am unsure if they would have the power to pump water out below the water line. I just thought it would be nice to have less holes in the boat and use the same hole to pump water in and out.

If not, how is the mastercraft setup?

Is there an "ideal" way to incorporate these Jabsco Pumps into a Ballast system?

Thanks ahead of time

jkski
03-19-2008, 09:56 AM
The easy solution to this is for your friend to buy the right boat...an MC and don't bother with the Supra. (Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Anything But An MC)

With that said, the MC set-up pumps the water back out above the waterline.
Good luck.

wakeX2wake
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
yes... MCs pump water back out through the bottom... the only water that comes through the side is the over flow... i'm not sure if the pumps would have enough suction to overcome the "SUPRA" on the side of the boat though (sorry had to get a jab in there)... no... if i'm not mistaken there's not even a flapper or anything over the intake holes... just the pump its self holds water in and out

flipper
03-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't know very much about these systems at all. The best advice I can give is tell him to sell it and buy a MC.:D

Hrkdrivr
03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
On the X-45 the ballast tanks empty above the waterline.

wakeX2wake
03-19-2008, 10:14 AM
i'm not too sure but i believe it was in part of '06 and '07 that they started putting the ballast puppys in them... my '07 x2 for sure empties under water... for what its worth the 210 nautiques do as well... pumbed in locker sacs last weekend on an '07 team edition

NeilM
03-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Depending on the year and model of MasterCraft, the ballast pumps may empty above or below the waterline. The disadvantage of 'below the waterline' approach is figuring out when the tanks are empty (with above waterline, you can see when the stream of water stops). So, if you can somehow guage when the tanks are empty, the "single hole approach" is by far the easiest.

Also, as stated elsewhere, the pump will "hold" water in or out of the tank without any valves.

My only other advice is "run heavy wire" -- these pumps demand a lot of current - so I'd go 10ga if I was rewiring.