PDA

View Full Version : 79 SS Stereo Install Ideas

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 09:01 PM
I am somewhat conflicted in messing with a good thing, but I am attempting a stereo intall in this 79. I want to put some tunes in this boat but am having a problem messing with originality, I just don't want this to look like an afterthought...know what I mean??

Anyway some pics and ideas on what I am thinkng and want to accomplish...any ideas and thoughts from you old pros would be appreciated here...

I have included a few pictures here for thoughts...Prototype speaker cabinets I have built, that need to be tweaked I know... with ideas on how many and where I would like to place them...also a refab on an old glovebox under observers seat base.... with this I am planning on a new stereo-Ipod friendly deck. I will fab this into old g-box, removing the old lid, inserting the new chassis and finish the opening off with a nice custom bezel...... I hate cutting or adding anything that just does not seem quite right.

Like I said, I am conflictied on messing with this in the first place, not to mention how it may look and sound when it is all done.....
Any more ideas I amy be missing?

Toober Tom
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Hmmm, I am afraid one bad turn back into your own wake my fry the radio so low to the floor.

YOu know you get at least one roller per year over the windshield, no matter how careful you are.

Other than that, looks good!

Monte
03-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Slinky, you're gonna need five more of those beers. This may take a while. Just kidding.. Would you mind taking a pic from the back looking in so we can see the whole interior.

I was thinking you may want to place one beside the driver seat.. It helps especially if you want to hear it while driving

TX.X-30 fan
03-18-2008, 09:48 PM
I guess it all depends on how original you want to keep the boat. Seems to be plenty of room for some 7.7 jl's all over, and as Monte said I need to see more to figure out where the subs and amps would go. Wow we have all the tower stuff to work on!!!!! :D

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Monte you are correct sir.. I already had five more dicking with this tonight....and I saw you at Moodies and you were very high as swell...:D
I am planning two in front for sure one right behind the drivers seat and maybe one on the oppisite side in front...hell I don't know...the contours of the hull in front are more curved than in the rear and isn't THIS the way it always seems to be....;)

Still just formulating thoughts to the Nth degree of design and sofistication in the investment of tunes in the old boat...:confused:

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Hmmm, I am afraid one bad turn back into your own wake my fry the radio so low to the floor.

YOu know you get at least one roller per year over the windshield, no matter how careful you are.

Other than that, looks good!

Toober,
Thanks for the input, but I always idle my boat around the entire lake so I never pull toobers, ie see "Show Us Your Wakes" thread...

I appreciate your ideas old buddy but your concerns would never apply to my boating habits...............:rolleyes:

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry. Dpost, I am buzzed......:o

Monte
03-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Monte you are correct sir.. I already had five more dicking with this tonight....and I saw you at Moodies and you were very high as swell...:D
I am planning two in front for sure one right behind the drivers seat and maybe one on the oppisite side in front...hell I don't know...the contours of the hull in front are more curved than in the rear and isn't THIS the way it always seems to be....;)

Still just formulating thoughts to the Nth degree of design and sofistication in the investment of tunes in the old boat...:confused:

You could make a long removeable cabinet.. speaker boxes on each end.. built in. Run your wiring behind it. Storage cabinet in the middle and quick connect wire connections. All covered in matching carpet

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 10:25 PM
You could make a long removeable cabinet.. speaker boxes on each end.. built in. Run your wiring behind it. Storage cabinet in the middle and quick connect wire connections. All covered in matching carpet

Sounds great but not sure about a long removeable cabinet....man I mean there is not a lot of room...what do you mean...I have had a cold six....;)

shellabargerj
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Slink:

I put speakers like yours in my '78. A friend and I built 4 new boxes like yours (but tapered to the floor, almost wedge-shaped) out of the scraps of marine plywood from rebuilding the floor, and covered them with the marine carpet. It looks nice and actually holds up okay.

As for the stereo - I bought one in a plastic enclosure from Overton's, and extended the mirror mount and put the thing right in the center of the dashboard.

Maybe when we get back home I can put up some pictures. The setup works for me, and I hope yours will work for you.

Jacob

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=shellabargerj]Slink:

I put speakers like yours in my '78. A friend and I built 4 new boxes like yours (but tapered to the floor, almost wedge-shaped) out of the scraps of marine plywood from rebuilding the floor, and covered them with the marine carpet. It looks nice and actually holds up okay.

As for the stereo - I bought one in a plastic enclosure from Overton's, and extended the mirror mount and put the thing right in the center of the dashboard.

Maybe when we get back home I can put up some pictures. The setup works for me, and I hope yours will work for you.

Man you aaaare right on about the wedge shape on the speakers, not only that but the contour of the hull front to back as well...this is time consuming project, it will work or I will scrap it...I will not screw this boat up.

alletric
03-18-2008, 10:41 PM
How much cash are we parting with on this project?

Monte
03-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Sounds great but not sure about a long removeable cabinet....man I mean there is not a lot of room...what do you mean...I have had a cold six....;)

You'll be fine, just dont drill anywhere near the boat right now..

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 10:47 PM
How much cash are we parting with on this project?

With all do respect, who gives a shiite..if it looks good and sounds great I really do not care...know what I mean??? I just love making this boat badder than it already is.......:cool:

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 10:49 PM
You'll be fine, just dont drill anywhere near the boat right now..

So are you saying that flat boring bit that is stuck in the floor right now is a fax pausy....:D :D

alletric
03-18-2008, 10:58 PM
With all do respect, who gives a shiite..if it looks good and sounds great I really do not care...know what I mean??? I just love making this boat badder than it already is.......:cool:

With all due respect you need to get some tower speakers and fabricate a mount for them. Place two at the lower rear corners facing foward and mounted to the floor. Mount the other two somewhere toward the front under the dash facing rearward. Throw an amp under the front and you have some rocking without going into the glass. The boxes look as out of place as the tubes so at least the tower speakers are self contained and sound good.

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 11:04 PM
With all due respect you need to get some tower speakers and fabricate a mount for them. Place two at the lower rear corners facing foward and mounted to the floor. Mount the other two somewhere toward the front under the dash facing rearward. Throw an amp under the front and you have some rocking without going into the glass. The boxes look as out of place as the tubes so at least the tower speakers are self contained and sound good.

There is no way a tower will ever go on this boat, so what is paln B??? I would like to see your set up...

Monte
03-18-2008, 11:13 PM
There is no way a tower will ever go on this boat, so what is paln B??? I would like to see your set up...

Re read it slinky, he didn't say put a tower on it, he said put... tower cans... in it... mounted in the corners up high... not a bad idea

I had to read it twice too

cbryan70
03-18-2008, 11:13 PM
here is what i did to install on mine. i JUST installed an amp. took the observer seat out. I only use an ipod which has rca cables connected to the amp and the other end plugs right into any headphone jack

alletric
03-18-2008, 11:14 PM

Boxes look great! Go with them. As for my setup I have no boxes nor tower speakers. You usually get this snippy after 6 beers?

Slinkyredfoot
03-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Re read it slinky, he didn't say put a tower on it, he said put... tower cans... in it mounted in the corners up high... not a bad idea

I had to read it twice too

Well would somebody post a pic to see what we are talking about, I like pictures ......

Monte
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
something I found quick

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/marinetower.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-MOMO-Polished-Wakeboard-Tower-Boat-Speakers_W0QQitemZ120233780708QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1 5272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

alletric
03-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't have a picture but imagine a round tube speaker fixed under the gunnel in the rear and facing foward. Those thing throw so much sound you can actually hear it. I have 4 JBL 6.5" mounted in the side panels and to be honest they will do with the boat turned off but even at idle you can not hear much. The front I am not sure. Again they put out much more sound than the 6.5's. Just trying to help.

ski_king
03-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I am with Tom on recommending mounting the radio higher or it will get wet sooner or later.

Unless of course you never use the boat for watersking and never have a wet passanger sit in the passanger seat.

Finding a good location to mount the radio is hard on these beautiful boats. I never did find a good location to mount one, so I listen to the tune of a 351, and that sounds good to me.

H20skeefreek
03-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Yo slinky. I searched all over for my measurements, but I'm coming up with bubkis. Everything I did was cut out of one piece of plywood. Everything was measured, and cut so that everything would press into place with no screws going into the boat. I did have to cut a "channel" out of the under-gunwale foam to create a "track" to put the side "pod" into. All of those terms are copyrighted, patented and trademarked.....but feel free to use them. There may be a small fee levied as I see fit.

Here is a link to what I did. http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=308639#post308639

JLeuck64
03-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Dude I know exactly how you feel! After almost sinking my 190 last year I am torn about what to do with replacing the stereo... The old system was just some 6 x 9's mounted in the combing pads and a temperamental AM/FM CD player in the dash. I have some new skins going in this spring and really do not want to cut holes in the new vinyl for speakers. Last summer for music all we did was throw in a small boom box that would play from an IPod and that got me thinking. Why spend the hard earned cash for a stereo that I only listen to during the summer? Why not get a really nice boom box that I could use everywhere? I am not the type that likes to listen to music loud while driving anyway so this may work in my situation and not yours but thought I would offer up this suggestion.

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Boxes look great! Go with them. As for my setup I have no boxes nor tower speakers. You usually get this snippy after 6 beers?

I am sorry if you thought I was an ahole...

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Yo slinky. I searched all over for my measurements, but I'm coming up with bubkis. Everything I did was cut out of one piece of plywood. Everything was measured, and cut so that everything would press into place with no screws going into the boat. I did have to cut a "channel" out of the under-gunwale foam to create a "track" to put the side "pod" into. All of those terms are copyrighted, patented and trademarked.....but feel free to use them. There may be a small fee levied as I see fit.

Here is a link to what I did. http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=308639#post308639

Thanks for posting your pics again, very custom, great job H2O..i just do not have this space

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
These pics are the result of about an hour of tuning the fit with a circular saw and hand saw......IF I am going to continue this ordeal...

It blows me away in this old boat how each speaker box had to be custom cut, none were the same at all... the starboard side had to be cut like a wedge and is two inches shallower than on the port...just very strange measurments with no continuity from side to side..

Anyway they fit great, a little carpet and 4 speakers and an amp ...and I am ready to rock....

Monte
03-19-2008, 08:26 PM
These pics are the result of about an hour of tuning the fit with a circular saw and hand saw......IF I am going to continue this ordeal...

It blows me away in this old boat how each speaker box had to be custom cut, none were the same at all... the starboard side had to be cut like a wedge and is two inches shallower than on the port...just very strange measurments with no continuity from side to side..

Anyway they fit great, a little carpet and 4 speakers and an amp ...and I am ready to rock....

Looking good slinky:cool:

SunCoast 83
03-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I have four Infinity Marine 6x9's built into removable boxes, carpeted to match. (Sorry no pics). When in use, mine fit under the side rail, and are in about the same position as yours. I had my local MC dealer put the deck and XM receiver in. Its nicely mounted to the roof of the ski locker, hence, if you open up the observers bench it is right there. I wanted the unit to not obstruct the use of the ski locker (even though the only thing we use it for is towels) Like you, I was challenged with the fact that I did not want to in any way alter the original look of the boat, so we went portable.

H20skeefreek
03-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for posting your pics again, very custom, great job H2O..i just do not have this space

uh......we have the same boat broseph.....

alletric
03-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I am sorry if you thought I was an ahole...

Don't worry about it. And for the record I would never suggest putting a tower on your boat.

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2008, 11:37 PM
uh......we have the same boat broseph.....

We do???? I must be out to fing lunch....

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Don't worry about it. And for the record I would never suggest putting a tower on your boat.

I don't worry, and thanks, I am correct, I am an ahole......:D

H20skeefreek
03-20-2008, 08:21 AM
yours is a '79, mine is an '85. Our dashes are different, but the rest of the interior is pretty much the same. I think my boat may be a LITTLE wider.

79stars
03-20-2008, 09:53 AM
I my self am trying to figure out a way to get a stereo in my 79SS. Shoot me more pics of your install and Ill do the same of mine when I get started. Thanks

Slinkyredfoot
03-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I finished the speakers and they fit nice, the only thing is the carpet lighter but blends in pretty good, the balck speakers look go well.

The face of the speakers fits flush with gunnel trim pad, so nothing is gonna be sticking out like a sore thumb. Anyway, test fitted everything and just making some progress.

Now all I gotta do is buy and figure out how to install a deck..this should be fun....:D

79stars
03-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Where are you mounting the head unit/stereo receiver and do you have pics of that?

Slinkyredfoot
03-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Finished mounting the stereo head unit today and it turned out very well and sounds even better...:D

I drilled out old rivets holding old glove box in place, cut the lid off the old glove box, used the old box and mounted a waterproof cover, chassis mount inside old box. I reinstalled the enire assembly back in old cut out. Wired it up and now I have tunes in the old boat and as I said earlier, it sounds great....;)

tph
03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Nice work! That's the same location we used on our '83. I'm thinking of getting a unit with ipod control and remote. That way, there will be no interference with the foot traffic.

Slinkyredfoot
03-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Nice work! That's the same location we used on our '83. I'm thinking of getting a unit with ipod control and remote. That way, there will be no interference with the foot traffic.

Good suggestion and that is what I did, got a IPod connector with the head unit, routed out of the way and at arms length, plus the remote is really nice and works very well...