PDA

View Full Version : Hull Graphics

fatladysingin
03-18-2008, 07:46 PM
To update the look of my 03 I bought 05 X9 side hull graphics. They have the blocky 9 and I like.

They came rolled up in the box so I laid them out on my work bench, approx flat. But it was dead of winter so I have not tried to install them. Now, it seems like where the backing wrinkles the graphics appear to be pulling away...? I am not sure if the graphic is toast or if the adhesive will revitalize in the warm...

Experience anyone?:confused:

TMCNo1
03-18-2008, 08:29 PM
They should be OK as long as the raised area where the backing paper is raised is not contaminated with dust and dirt and killed the sticky.

fatladysingin
03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
They should be OK as long as the raised area where the backing paper is raised is not contaminated with dust and dirt and killed the sticky.
cool. thanks.

no contamination at all...

ever installed these?...should i put some soapy water on first to position?...they are pretty long to handle...

H20skeefreek
03-18-2008, 11:37 PM
If you've got a graphics shop near you, they use a chemical called easy-on, it's kinda like soap, only not. You could probably get them to install them pretty inexpensively. I've had bad luck with soap before.

TMCNo1
03-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Mix about 2 tablespoons Dawn Dish Washing Soap, 2 cupsWindex and 2 cups water in a spray bottle to make a applications fluid. Lightly spray both the surface and sticky part of decal, position and squeegie the bubbles and fluid out.

gwpowell
03-19-2008, 03:12 AM
This is my area of expertise, I was a signwriter in a former life.

The application tape often wrinkles when rolled. The graphics should be fine, however it will make it a little trickier to apply. The suggestion to take the graphics to a sign shop is a good one. Application is all about experience. I for one never use soapy water or any liquid to ease application but if you have never applied vinyl graphics before and really want to have a crack at it the soapy water is an insurance policy.

To use soapy water get yourself a spray bottle 500ml or 1/2pint approx fill with water and only add a couple of drops of dish-washing liquid. You don't need much, in fact you can use straight water only I would. The more detergent you add the more slippery the surface becomes.

Spray the surface with the water (you can soak it if you like) and position the graphics. The water prohibits the graphics from sticking until you have squeegeed the water out. Use a credit card or similar to squeegee the water out, working from the middle out. You can get 3 inch wide plastic plaster knives from the hardware store which are great for this.

Try removing the application tape very slowly by peeling it back along itself. If the graphics come away with the application tape squeegee it again and maybe wait 10-15 minutes until it the water has evaporated then try again.

The problem you will encounter using water is the water tends to stay in the corners such as under the gunnel rubber and the vinyl will not stick until it is dry. This is OK just wait for it to dry before removing the application tape.

Hope this helps
Good Luck

Farmer Ted
03-19-2008, 07:45 AM
www.needadecal.com/install.htm (http://www.needadecal.com/install.htm)

If you need more detailed directions shoot me an email

fatladysingin
03-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks Everybody!!!!!:)