PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene Shirts

wakeX2wake
03-18-2008, 03:08 PM
i've got basically a rash guard... i want something warmer but i don't want to go the full wetsuit (i've got a long sleeve shorty)... i've seen a couple things out there but anyone who can give some feedback i would be most appreciative... something thicker and warmer would be great

russlars
03-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I have the Oneill Guru(I think that it what it is called) neoprene shirt. I believe that it is 2mm neoprene and I have really enjoyed it. I wear it alot on those early morning ski runs when the air temperature is still low. It has good freedom of movement. I find that rash guards are great when it is really hot and you want to keep the sun off of you, or for their intended purpose (surfing), but they actually make me feel colder.

Hollywood
03-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Almost every wetsuit mfg makes their own version of a "heater" shirt. I wear an O'Neill Thermo-X. It is fleece lined. I keep it on all day and that's where I notice it keeps me very warm, in the boat after a set. Water enters pretty quick, unlike a full neoprene version so you still get that initial chill. It is marketed towards the surfing crowd, probably because you're not as frequently submerged.

I've never worn anything else so sorry I can't compare. My buddy picked up a Gooru so maybe we'll swap one day.

If I were shopping today, I'd probably go with the Barefoot Company shirt. Lake Elmo Sports seems to be low on stock at the moment.
http://www.lakeelmosports.com/images/P/heatershirt-01.jpg

wakeX2wake
03-18-2008, 04:11 PM
I have the Oneill Guru(I think that it what it is called) neoprene shirt. I believe that it is 2mm neoprene and I have really enjoyed it. I wear it alot on those early morning ski runs when the air temperature is still low. It has good freedom of movement. I find that rash guards are great when it is really hot and you want to keep the sun off of you, or for their intended purpose (surfing), but they actually make me feel colder.

i agree... they're ok for keeping some of the chill down as long as a jacket is on over you but as far as keeping it on back in the boat... NO THANKS... i about broke my nipples off trying to get warm... left my towels in the truck so all i had was a rash guard and life jacket on the last day of the yr it was about 65 air 70 water... COLD

east tx skier
03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Another vote for the O'Neill Guroo. Skied with it all weekend in 63 degree water and it was just what the doctor ordered.

corey
03-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Yep, the guroo is the way to go, super flexible and warm. I can't stress how much more flexible this top is than many of the others, this makes it easier for skiing and boarding but also for getting in and out of.

I use mine quite a bit for riding but I've also used it for snorkeling in cool water.

jrcarte78
03-18-2008, 04:43 PM
The Gooru is good. I had it for a short time but sent it back b/c it was damaged(hole at one of the shoulder seams). I would have replaced it with another Gooru, but they were out of stock....

I got a Jet Pilot to replace it. I'm happy with it too. It keeps you nice and toasty but allows mobility as well. Here's a link to the Jet Pilot I've got now.

http://www.wakeside.com/product/wakeboard_gear/mens/wakeboard_wetsuits/jetpilot+f-22+flight+jacket+2007.do

wakeX2wake
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
awesome... just got it ordered... thanks for your inputs... talked to a friend of mine he loves his and w/ all of your input... well you'll have to get w/ oneill about your part of the cut

Jonathan94
03-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I will recommend the tops from this site.

http://www.jdemarine.com/other%20clothing.htm

They are designed for sailing but I wear both the Hot Top and the Rash Guard for skiing - they are great. The rashguards have a loop that goes around your thumb to keep the sleeves from riding up.

My wife and daughter both wear the Chix lycra top - lots of different colors.

(disclaimer - this is a shameless plug for our side company, but the stuff really is very good!):rolleyes:

BrandonKTM
03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
the last day of the yr it was about 65 air 70 water... COLD
Cold?! try skiing at 25 out with snow flurries and water temp about 50. Thats cold. One thing about it, when spring and summer comes around, there seems like less to complain about, and you appreciate what you got!!

roddydog
03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Just sent you an e-mail.

Why are they more $CDN than $USD if you're a CDN company??

Is it out-sourced, or do you get your materials from the US, or elsewhere??

Spill!!:confused:

wakeX2wake
03-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Cold?! try skiing at 25 out with snow flurries and water temp about 50. Thats cold. One thing about it, when spring and summer comes around, there seems like less to complain about, and you appreciate what you got!!

wow i really think water sports would stop being fun and become more of a personal challenge in those conditions

André
03-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Another vote for O'Neil Goor_!:)

Hollywood
03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I love the 3 different spellings of the O'Neill Gooru in this thread!

sizzler
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
i have an EAGLE heater shirt.......its great....

Sodar
03-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I drink a lot of Xcel wetsuit Kool-Aid, but IMHO, they are the most flexible and longest lasting suit I have owned... and I use my suit ALOT for several various activities. For the spring and fall, I use a 2mm Xcelerator...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410LZE3-ObL._SS400_.jpg