PDA

View Full Version : Hail damage...any experience?

MarkL
03-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Hailstorm damaged car this weekend. Every panel has dings. Any experience, advice? Insurance guys?

lanier92prostar
03-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Call insurance company. There are some very good body shops that can pop some if not all the dings out without damaging the paint. Are you in Cumming or Gainesville?

JKTX21
03-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Yep, let your insurance look at it. Had light damage taken out of my SUV. Dealer pricing was over $800 for paintless dent repair alone.

TMCNo1
03-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Painless dent repair works, I'm having a dent removed this weekend by a fellow I do work for that runs one of those franchises.

TX.X-30 fan
03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Painless dent repair works, I'm habving a dent removed this weekend by a fellow I do work for that runs one of those franchises.

You dented the van waxing it??????:confused: :D

BrianM
03-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Definitely talk to the insurance company but most of the time the paintless dent repair works wonders for hail damage. I usually have one or two door dings taken out of my wifes car every year by a paintless repair guy. It is amazing what they can do. Around here the cost is about $50 a ding but multiple dings in the same panel are less.

Monte
03-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Comprehensive ins. should cover it as long as you have it. I would do as others have suggested and call the ins co. They will have some proceedures they want you to follow.

TMCNo1
03-18-2008, 10:03 AM
You dented the van waxing it??????:confused: :D

No, some numbnutz from MD hit the passanger door at the motel and put a dent in it at Myrtle Beach, SC Thanksgiving weekend. :mad: It set off the alarm and his door was laying against the van when I got to the van and he swore up and down he never touched it, the _astard. It's OK though, when my dent man and I get thru with it it will never be seen.

6ballsisall
03-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Lanier, did you guys get the bad hail too? I see some shingles on my roof that are bad. Looks like it's time to call up State Farm......:rolleyes:

Our cars were in the garage fortunately.

stuartmcnair
03-18-2008, 01:36 PM
No, some numbnutz from MD hit the passanger door at the motel and put a dent in it at Myrtle Beach, SC Thanksgiving weekend. :mad: It set off the alarm and his door was laying against the van when I got to the van and he swore up and down he never touched it, the _astard. It's OK though, when my dent man and I get thru with it it will never be seen.

how did he get his car that close? did he knock over the cones and security fence?

TX.X-30 fan
03-18-2008, 01:53 PM

Bill Clinton dinged your door?:confused: :D

JLeuck64
03-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Yup, had a bad experience with an Insurance company from a hail damage claim. Back in college, a hail storm rolled through the town I was living in. Cars all over town took varying degrees of damage, even brand new cars on the dealers lots. My insurance did what they call a drive through claim process. Their field rep looked my truck over and offered me a settlement check. I should have refused it had I known better because it ended up costing a lot more to fix it right.

Another part of my story involved the repainting. Turns out the paint being used didn't stick very well and ended up peeling off, several times.

Morale of my lesson's learned. The insurance company will gladly take your monthly premiums for a policy. It's hard to get that money back though! A good body shop is not necessarily the dealership where you purchased you vehicle from. Word of mouth and references from friends will work better.

Funny thing about the dents from the hail though. I didn't have the roof repaired because the dents weren't really that bad on that panel. After several years the dents began to shrink back to the original shape. I guess metal does have some memory and the constant heating and cooling from winter to summer helped straighten the dents...

6ballsisall
03-18-2008, 03:33 PM
We got a bunch of hail this size on Saturday during the storms. Fortunately the cars were in the garage. The shingles didn't fair so well..:(

TMCNo1
03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
how did he get his car that close? did he knock over the cones and security fence?

You won't believe this, but I was parked in the end space and my tires were over the outside line, he parked 2' away from me with 6' between him and the next car. I suspect he did it on purpose, but who am I to judge, I'll just have it fixed and move on! It happened in the evening about 7'clock and within a hour he was packing up and left the motel and headed back to Maryland or somewhere else. People just don't check out of a motel at 8pm for no reason, unless he knew I was really upset after the little talk I laid down on him.
BTW, the motel owner is a longtime friend and he said they had planned on spending several days, but left early for some unknown reason, yea right!
Yea, I'm a azz about my stuff!

Monte
03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Yup, had a bad experience with an Insurance company from a hail damage claim. Back in college, a hail storm rolled through the town I was living in. Cars all over town took varying degrees of damage, even brand new cars on the dealers lots. My insurance did what they call a drive through claim process. Their field rep looked my truck over and offered me a settlement check. I should have refused it had I known better because it ended up costing a lot more to fix it right.

Another part of my story involved the repainting. Turns out the paint being used didn't stick very well and ended up peeling off, several times.

Morale of my lesson's learned. The insurance company will gladly take your monthly premiums for a policy. It's hard to get that money back though! A good body shop is not necessarily the dealership where you purchased you vehicle from. Word of mouth and references from friends will work better....

Question: How is it the insurance company's fault that YOU did not do your homework?

Prostar Rich
03-18-2008, 04:33 PM
I have a good friend who is a parts manager at a Chevy dealership. Once a week the dealership has an outside paintless dent removal guy come to the dealership to work on used as well as new cars that have been dented. My friend was able to hook me up with this PDR guy since he was already at the dealership on the specific day that he is there during the week. The PDR guy removed several door dings from my wifes car for cash under the table. If you know someone who works at a dealership ask them and they may be able to set you up. I realize that this won't work for an insurance claim but if you are paying out of pocket it's worth a try.

Prostar Rich

milkmania
03-18-2008, 04:38 PM
all this hail talk reminded me of the hail storm in NorthWest Arkansas a while back.....

(posted before, but we're got newbies)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/0313001433_7.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/0313001433_6.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/0313001433_5.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/0313001433_4.jpg

milkmania
03-18-2008, 04:39 PM
more of the same storm

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/0313001433_3.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/0313001433_2.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/0313001433_1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/hail.jpg

TX.X-30 fan
03-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Question: How is it the insurance company's fault that YOU did not do your homework?

Statments like this tear me up.
Rant over..

Here Monte you need this worse than I do! :D :D

Monte
03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Here Monte you need this worse than I do! :D :D

Thanks brutha.. Rexdog helped too.. check out the random pics thread;)

TMCNo1
03-18-2008, 08:12 PM
I have a good friend who is a parts manager at a Chevy dealership. Once a week the dealership has an outside paintless dent removal guy come to the dealership to work on used as well as new cars that have been dented. My friend was able to hook me up with this PDR guy since he was already at the dealership on the specific day that he is there during the week. The PDR guy removed several door dings from my wifes car for cash under the table. If you know someone who works at a dealership ask them and they may be able to set you up. I realize that this won't work for an insurance claim but if you are paying out of pocket it's worth a try.

Prostar Rich

Most franchise Paintless Dent Repair people charge around $60 per panel, a panel meaning a hood, top, trunk, quarterpanel, door, truck tailgate, bedside or fender. Dents removed from each panel on a 2 door car would be $360, 4 door car $480. My man charges around $10 a dent, maybe cause I know him, cause 5 years ago, I had 12 dents removed from 3 cars for $100.

TMCNo1
03-28-2008, 11:33 AM
The paintless dent removal guy just left,
Before,
After,
He took the van dent out, then one out of the Buick, $50, here and gone in 30 minutes!