PDA

View Full Version : Engine Will Not Start

stuartmcnair
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
OK, very frustrated now.

Engine ran fine when I put it up now it won't crank. Will sputter for a minute on ether but will not stay started.

I bought a new battery thinking that would help. Engine will turn over about three times, pause for a few seconds, then turn over three more times like it is laboring to start.

I pulled a glass of gas out to let it sit overnight to see how it looks but it looked fine when I pulled it out (whatever "fine" is).

Engine is getting fuel into the carb.

Any help would be appreciated.

lanier92prostar
03-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Did you disconnect the throttle linkage when you put it up?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-17-2008, 11:19 PM
If you fogged the engine as part of your winterization, you may have some fouled spark plugs. Pull one out and have a look at it. If has a lot of heavy black deposits you should replace the plugs. Other than that, is the choke closed. The slow cranking may be an indication of ignition timing that is advanced too far......although that shouldn't change on its own over the winter.

trunderw
03-17-2008, 11:33 PM
When I winterize, I spray each cylinder; when I de-winterize, I replace all the plugs, that should prevent fouled plugs.

cbryan70
03-17-2008, 11:43 PM
i bet the mice messed up the timing!

stuartmcnair
03-18-2008, 10:25 AM
I did fog and I replaced the plugs right before I put it up. I will pull one and see.

Hollywood
03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Fogged, then replaced plugs?

stuartmcnair
03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
yup, took out the plugs...sprayed some fogging oil in each cylinder...put the plugs back in...

I talked to the guys at Rambo Marine. He thinks the float in the carb is stuck...happens when the fuel evaporates sometimes...not sure but he told me to lightly tap it and it should free up...he described the problem that would cause and it fit what I was dealing with perfectly..

I can only hope.

Hollywood
03-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I would certainly agree, since it ran on the ether. I suppose you wouldn't see any gas squirting out, get one of your neighbors to look down the throat while you crank. The cranking still sounds weird though.

mmccrane
03-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Are you seeing oil pressure as you try to start it?
Try using some starting fluid - either! This will help the engine run for a few seconds.

jrhollow
03-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I bet your flux capacitor is broke

Hollywood
03-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Did you stabilize the fuel before lay up?

Hunterb
03-18-2008, 03:42 PM
If you are sure that gas is reaching the carb, then you need to make sure it's getting through the carb. Take the flame arrestor off and, while looking down the carb, pump the throttle a couple of times (this is easier to do if you disconnect the throttle cable). You should see the accelerator pump jets squirting fuel. If you do, try to start it (remove face from above carb). If it fires and then dies then something is stuck/plugged up in your carb. It's relatively easy to take them apart and clean them up. I assume you have a Holley 4160 based on the picture in your site. It's quite common for carbs to be stuck or gummed up a bit in the spring. You can try tapping on the front float bowl with a soft hammer but my experience has been it's best to pull the bowl off clean thing up properly. Not sure why it's cranking funny. That's usually a sign of a timing issue but if you haven't messed with it it should be fine.

Good luck !!

Bruce

Dan K
03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Clean your electrical connections on the Battery and Starter, sound like a poor electrical connection to me.
If you have points, lightly sand the contacts as well.

stuartmcnair
03-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I bet your flux capacitor is broke

better not be! I just replaced it last summer with one from skidim...

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I bet your flux capacitor is brokebetter not be! I just replaced it last summer with one from skidim...
Unless you replaced the muffler bearings at the same time it wouldn't have solved your problem.

stuartmcnair
03-18-2008, 11:50 PM
talked to Rambo Marine...they seem to think the carb will need a rebuild...which to me means spend fifty more dollars and get a new one

I might run it up there tomorrow or Friday.

climbinggod
03-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Going back to the beginning you said that the engine cranks a few times then stops cranks a few then stops. Sounds like a flat battery. You said you replaced the battery.

Get someone to crank the engine as you check for a voltage drop across the terminals. Put one end on the centre of the pos batt post and the other end on the starter terminal. As you crank meter should read 0 volts. Repeat for neg cable. This will tell you if you have a bad connection in the line.

If that checks out, try and get hold of an amp clamp and see how many amps the starter is drawing, If it is drawing excessive (500 amps??) then replace the starter. If it sounds slow to crank and the connections are good then it is probably your starter.

Good luck.

stuartmcnair
03-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I can build a computer from the components up. I can design and implement a global network. I can build a house. But I cannot do a dang thing with an engine. I just don't get it. Luckily, through the other things I can do I eke out enough of a living to pay someone else to fix it and I think I am at that point.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I just don't think I fully understand how to do them and I would rather not do more harm than good trying to learn. If this boat wasn't my baby I might be willing to experiment but God gave mechanics that ability and gave me something else. Thanks again.

TMCNo1
03-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Just for the giggles of it, remove and replace the kill switch clip several times, spray some WD40 into and around it and see what happens. Give it plenty throttle and it it runs then stops when you move the ignition switch from crank to run position, that may be your culpert. Then, bypass the kill switch and see it it run, the replace. Been there, done that!

stuartmcnair
03-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Just for the giggles of it, remove and replace the kill switch clip several times, spray some WD40 into and around it and see what happens. Give it plenty throttle and it it runs then stops when you move the ignition switch from crank to run position, that may be your culpert. Then, bypass the kill switch and see it it run, the replace. Been there, done that!

Kill switch was the very first thing I tried (I hoped and hoped that was it)...on ether it will start but not stay started....I really don't have the time to mess with it anymore and this is another thing I wanted worked on. I'll spend a grand with Rambo on that and a few other things and I will be happy to do it.

flipper
03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Kill switch was the very first thing I tried (I hoped and hoped that was it)...on ether it will start but not stay started....I really don't have the time to mess with it anymore and this is another thing I wanted worked on. I'll spend a grand with Rambo on that and a few other things and I will be happy to do it.

B RING
O UT
A NOTHER
T HOUSAND

wakeX2wake
03-19-2008, 12:17 PM
talked to Rambo Marine...they seem to think the carb will need a rebuild...which to me means spend fifty more dollars and get a new one

I might run it up there tomorrow or Friday.

when you get it up there... tell them to get to humping on getting mine dewinterized... i'm ready to freeze by baws off

stuartmcnair
03-19-2008, 12:26 PM
when you get it up there... tell them to get to humping on getting mine dewinterized... i'm ready to freeze by baws off

I'll just hook up to it and bring it back here...

Hollywood
03-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Umm, even going further back is your choke functioning properly? There are lots of things you can still do, or find a friend to help toy around w/o removing any bolts you can't do too much harm.

stuartmcnair
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Umm, even going further back is your choke functioning properly? There are lots of things you can still do, or find a friend to help toy around w/o removing any bolts you can't do too much harm.

Yeah, I know this guy named Rambo that is going to help me. :)