PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix Electronic Ignition

trunderw
03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
I emailed pertronix about getting electronic ignition for the 87 MC and they replied back with questions. I'm pretty sure they were only using windsors but I'm not sure about the 'standard rotation'...also do I want a 'complete marine distributor'? Thanks all.
Here is that they said:

Most of these applications came with a Prestolite distributor in them. If
you're looking for conversion kit then we either need the part number off of it or if you can tell us what style cap it has (clip down on or screw down). If you're looking for a complete marine distributor, we will need to verify that it is a Windsor engine and if it is a standard rotation.

TMCNo1
03-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Check here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1113 , call them and they can fix you up with what you need, then go here for tutorial to do the DIY install, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=electronic+ignition

Bruce Carr
03-18-2008, 10:14 AM
If your boat has a Ford engine (distributer at front of engine), it will be a Windsor and it is standard rotation.

All you need is the Pertronix Ignitor module, no need for the whole distributer unless yours is worn out (not likely). There are two styles of distributers; the earlier ones had two spring clips which held the distributer cap in place and later models had two screws instead of the clips.

Just determine which type of distributer you have and order accordingly. I put a Pertronix on my '83 probably 15 years ago and haven't touched it since.

MMCCAR12
03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Put one in my 83 SS last year and love it. Only about $80 bucks. I always converted my older Harleys with this type of module and never had a problem. Did about 8 Shovelheads this way and they started much better and were much more responsive. There are more expensive conversions out on the market and all are better than points. Its up to you what you want. Dont forget to check your advance springs and oil the mech. Good Luck