PDA

View Full Version : Time to change steering cable

TOO-TALL
03-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Boat is a 2003 x2.Called my dealer today and the cable will be in thursday(135.00)

I did a search and found alot of good info like
-Remove floor panel.
-Tape new cable to old and pull threw.

I'm just wondering is it easier to put the new cable in from the steering wheel or from the rudder end?
Looking to make this job as pain free as possiable..

Too-Tall

erkoehler
03-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Did you order from RiverView?

cbryan70
03-17-2008, 08:23 PM
i would think it would be easiest to bring it through from near the rudder and run it up towards the steering cable. I could be completly wrong. Also depending on space it may be difficultto bring two cables through the boat at the same time. What i have done on mine is pulled the old steering cable out with a rope attached to it. Still waiting on the steering cable but ill let you know how that works

JimN
03-17-2008, 08:23 PM
You'll want to pull the smallest end through, so it may be easier to pull the back end up to the front. I usually pulled a wire to the front, by passing it through one of the bolt holes and twisted/taped, so it doesn't come off. Then, you can pull it from the front to the rear of the boat. You'll probably need to raise the fuel tank and the original cable is probably tie-wrapped to other cables/lines along the way. Don't try to force or yank anything and it'll be a lot easier if you have a helper.

erkoehler
03-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Bring to Chicago MasterCraft trade boat in, and I'll throw in a new cable for the new boat :)

cbryan70
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Erk i got a good lead for you. I called you you never called me back ***

erkoehler
03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Erk i got a good lead for you. I called you you never called me back ***

Sign on AIM.....or call me tomorrow.

TOO-TALL
03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Did you order from RiverView?

Nope.....Pinecrest in Cedar lake IN.

erkoehler
03-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Nope.....Pinecrest in Cedar lake IN.

Pinecrest has a nice spot on the lake there!

TOO-TALL
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Took the kick panel,and floor up to night also disconected both ends of the cable.Here are some pics.

Rack off the steering wheel

TOO-TALL
03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Floor up.....

TOO-TALL
03-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I cut the rack off the cable.I'm thinking I can tape the new cable(rudder end) to old cable and pull it threw easier.......we'll see.

TOO-TALL
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
This pic you can see where the cable comes threw this stringer right by the gas tank.The steering cable is the bottom one.

TOO-TALL
03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
cable at rudder end....

TOO-TALL
03-18-2008, 09:16 PM
This is where the cable attaches to the rudder.I'm going to pull the old cable out threw the storage compartment with the new cable attached to the other(rack)end,,,if it all works out like I want.We'll see friday.

ncsone
03-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Not sure if this applies in this situation or not. I just re-did the steering cable on my PS197. I found it easiest to PUSH the steering cable aft from under the starboard side cushion in the bow. Once I got it worked all the way to the back, I just looped the rack (forward) end around under the drivers side console/dash and bolted it up. I pulled the old cable out from the the same spot as well. Then again, the 197 is a DD and it is pretty(very) easy to route the cable through the bilge and back to the rudder post.

nmcjr
03-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I pulled out the old one from the front and insterted the new one from the front. At least on my boat there would be no way to get the rack through if I started from the rudder. I taped a rope to the old one to pull in the rope as I pulled out the old one. There are some areas that are very tight and some soapy water may help lubricate it. **The most critical mistake I made was that the rudder end was extended some, which made it difficult to get through in some areas, so make sure the new one is completely retracted before trying to pull it through. This way the rigid section at the end is as short as possible. Also, make sure your pull rope is very well secured to the new one before pulling. I had someone pull while I pushed to get it past the gas tank.

TOO-TALL
03-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Got the new cable in tonight and the steering is so smooooooooooth....

Tapeing the new cable to the old one and pulling it threw worked well. the only problem was where the cable came threw the stringer by the gas tank.It got hung up and took alittle push/pull and up down to get it to go the problem is the hole cut in the stringer is higher then the gas tank bottom.Mastercraft needs to cut the hole all the way down to the hull just my .02
I'm glad I did it myself .I could'nt see paying 90.00 shop rate for this.
Now that I have done it once next time(hopefully there won't be) it will only take 1/2 the time.

Thanks to everybody on here for the tips...TT is awesome.......