PDA

View Full Version : De-Winterize etc.

Bruce
03-17-2008, 06:49 PM
After laying up these last months it was great to hear that sweet rumble of that 5.7. However it was soon spoiled by looking at the water pooling in the rear of the boat. (V drive) the port side bottom hose had not been re-connected. Oh well it happens. It was in the slip hanging in the straps and running off the flush kit so it was no big deal. It did show me that the auto bilge pump was not working. I guess there is a float switch somewhere. Or, is it built in? Water is coming out of both exhaust ports but, there is a bigger flow out of the starboard side. Any problem with that? The port side is flowing adequately but I wonder if they should be equal. Infinite wisdom appreciated.

NeilM
03-17-2008, 06:57 PM
1. it takes a LOT of water to turn the bilge pump on. Is the switch up front set to "auto" or is it "off"? If you turn it to "on", you should be able to hear the pump running if your boat is in a relatively quiet spot. Depending on the bilge pump, the float may be either internal or external.

2. It's normal to have more water coming out of one side than the other. Both sides are connected, so the majority of the water will come out of the exhaust that's lower.

'hope that helps,

NeilM

Bruce
03-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks Neil. It was in auto. When I went to manual it pumped it out. It was a fair amount of water but as you suggested it might not have been enough to cause auto to kick in. Glad to know that the uneven exhaust flow is not a problem.
Thanks again.
Bruce

BrianM
03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
the port side bottom hose had not been re-connected. Oh well it happens.... Water is coming out of both exhaust ports but, there is a bigger flow out of the starboard side. Any problem with that? The port side is flowing adequately but I wonder if they should be equal. .
You should ask for your money back from the idiot that winterized it for you. :rolleyes: Sorry about that Bruce. Guess I missed that one when I was putting it all back together. :o

No problem with the flow being a little different probably just because it was hanging slighlt less than level. Uneven flow is normal as long as you have water coming out both sides

Bruce
03-17-2008, 07:58 PM
You should ask for your money back from the idiot that winterized it for you. :rolleyes: Sorry about that Bruce. Guess I missed that one when I was putting it all back together. :o

No problem with the flow being a little different probably just because it was hanging slighlt less than level. Uneven flow is normal as long as you have water coming out both sides

Brian, no way I was going to bring that up! You did me a huge favor and it was a small bullet for me to bite. No good deed goes unpunished! That hose was on the side where you had to take the trunk apart and next to impossible to see. I hate that I even mentioned it. And I shouldn't have I should have asked my questions in a separate post. Again I apologize and thank you for your help.

flipper
03-17-2008, 08:09 PM
I have had trouble with my auto switch twice....One time it was a bottle cab, and the other a splice right by the pump came undone.

BrianM
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Again I apologize and thank you for your help.
Absolutely no need to apologize. No harm no foul on the hose. That is why you do exactly what you did when starting up after the winter. Run it a bit and double check that everything is secure. Every once in a while you miss one. ;)