PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

Gonzo
03-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Ok, I dont need anything special but my tires are dryrotted on the new ride. I have found a marine place on line that has "loadstar". They are 6ply and rated @ 1750lbs each... so They sound like they would do the job but I didnt want to overlook anything... is there any reason I need to go for a more car type tire here?

Any advice?

thanks

BrianM
03-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Definitely not a car type tire. The Loadstars are fine as are the Carlisles but if you do a lot of towing the Goodyear Marathons are generally considered to be the best of the trailer tires. A while back there were a lot of incidents of Carlisles coming apart then more recently some issues with the Marathons too. My general feeling is as long as you get a set of TRAILER tires you should be good to go.

jkski
03-17-2008, 05:22 PM
As was stated above, the Goodyear Marathons seem to be the best and most commonly used. Be sure to look at the "Load Rating" on the sidewall of the tire as I believe it needs to be a "D" or "E"...someone can verify which one exactly as I do not have mine here to look.

Do not go with a passenger tire, as it is not suitable to trailering.

6ballsisall
03-17-2008, 05:31 PM
To echo whats said already, DO NOT use passenger car tires or wheels. They aren't made to be on a trailer (different sidewall strength) I've had the Marathons on my trailers and had good luck with those.

trunderw
03-17-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm getting new tires myself and will be buying a set of biased tires instead of radials...less longevity but better ride when towing.

bkblaida
03-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Another vote of agreement for Goodyear Marathons. Two boats and thousands of towing miles they have never let us down. Remember to replace at the first sign of sidewall dry rot. Also check the local laws to see if you must have a spare. It is a moving violation in many states to tow without a spare tire. While it is rare, in WI your friendly policeman has the authority to impound your boat if you are caught towing w/o a usable spare.

east tx skier
03-18-2008, 05:47 PM
As was stated above, the Goodyear Marathons seem to be the best and most commonly used. Be sure to look at the "Load Rating" on the sidewall of the tire as I believe it needs to be a "D" or "E"...someone can verify which one exactly as I do not have mine here to look.

Do not go with a passenger tire, as it is not suitable to trailering.

If he has the stock 14" rims on his trailer, it's going to be a "C" rating if I recall correctly.

Gonzo
03-18-2008, 06:26 PM
I think they are 14s, to tell the truth I didnt look before leaving my folks place. I will know more this weekend.

Footin
03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
If it is a 91 MC trailer I would say they are 215/75/14's

OhioX14
03-18-2008, 07:44 PM
I'll add my vote for the Marathons. I had a set of Carlisles on a previous trailer and had a blowout doing 65 that tore apart the fender, scratched the hell out of the gelcoat on the boat (steel belts) and, of course, nuked the nice chrome rim. It also wasn't a whole lot of fun changing tires on the side of I-75 with semis blowing past at 70 MPH. Thankfully I had a spare. The tires were only a couple of years old, in great shape, and absolutely no dry rot.

Maybe it was a fluke but I'll only run Marathon's and a tandem axel trailer from now on for piece of mind and the ride.

Gonzo
03-18-2008, 08:27 PM
If it is a 91 MC trailer I would say they are 215/75/14's

I was thinking 205....

TMCNo1
03-18-2008, 08:44 PM
I was thinking 205....

If the trailer ID tag is still readable on the port side trailer rail the OEM tire size is printed on it and it is shown in the owners manual, which was ST215/75R14 or it may even show the old size as F78-14.

Gonzo
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Owners Manual, theres an idea. Why didnt I think of that lol.

trunderw
03-18-2008, 09:28 PM
If you buy the biased tires, they won't have a steel belt so no scratches on the gel coat...but hopefully they won't fly apart.
Aside, I just bought new tires/wheels for mine. I got the tires and galvanized wheels shipped for what I was about to pay for just the tires. No clue how good the tires are but if they fly apart, I'll be sure to post about them, and the company I got them from.
205 75D14 C-Rated 1760lbs each
(oh and they're radials)