PDA

View Full Version : F1 season kickoff

ncsone
03-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Anyone here a F1 fan? If so, any opinions of the season opener last weekend in Australia? Is McLaren a sure thing for the title this year?

rkmason
03-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I stayed up to see the Auzzie GP live, then I found out that SpeedTV did a re-broadcast Sunday afternoon.

I think Ferrari will be back on form in a hurry and will pressure McLaren again, but Lewis Hamilton will be hard to beat for the title if he has learned from last year's mistakes. I'm hoping that some of the other teams (BMW, Toyota) give the top two a run for the money this year. And nice to see that little weasel Fernando Alonso having a struggle with Renault. Hope it continues all year long...

88 PS190
03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Never really gotten into F1, but I watch the occasional race.

I really like DTM thought.

03 35th Anniversary
03-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I'll watch it if its on but I won't make any plans to.

But I will watch before I watch reallity shows....

defender1009
03-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I think it probably is McLaren's year, but you can never count Ferrari out. I do look for BMW to challenge for #2 this season though. Pretty amazing that just a couple of years ago that same team was Sauber Petronas, one of the F1 laughingstocks.

MSOUCY-TT
03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I think it probably is McLaren's year, but you can never count Ferrari out. I do look for BMW to challenge for #2 this season though. Pretty amazing that just a couple of years ago that same team was Sauber Petronas, one of the F1 laughingstocks.
Too bad for Jacques Villeneuve...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: And about his performance in NASCAR!!!

Hamilton will have a BMW in his mirors the whole season !!!

TX.X-30 fan
03-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I'll watch it if its on but I won't make any plans to.

But I will watch before I watch reallity shows....

Thats not saying much 35th I will watch paint dry before I watch that Sh!t

03 35th Anniversary
03-17-2008, 09:57 PM
[/B]

Thats not saying much 35th I will watch paint dry before I watch that Sh!tAmen to that!!!!

defender1009
03-17-2008, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=MSOUCY-TT]Too bad for Jacques Villeneuve...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: And about his performance in NASCAR!!!

Yeah, Jacques always was his own biggest fan----karma's a byatch!!!

Pretty amazing though that a former F1 world champ can't dredge up enough sponsorship to maintain a Busch series ride.

Benny Boy
03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Holly macaroni... F1 fans! I thought I was the only one around. I wake up at night to watch the races live. McLaren is gonna tough to beat, but they'll have BMW on their ***. Ferrari will need a whole year to adjust to their new team of managment. Red Bull and Toyotas should surprise some people, they're due! Don't count out Fernando Alonso, he's gonna pull a few rabbits from his hat, but probably not enough to win the championship with his Renault.

ncsone
03-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah, it sounds like there may be a couple of fans lurking around this forum. I think the championship is McLaren's to lose, especially with the new leadership at Ferrari - too much change. Especially if you consider Todt resigned today. Renault will push hard to get FA back to the front, BMW could potentially be #2 at the end of the year as well. Another race this weekend!

sizzler
03-19-2008, 11:39 AM
think lewis will be unbeatable this season..he will have learned so much from last season..some of the tracks he had not even been on before....he has matured a lot over the last year and wont have the "rookie" pressure on him ......

rkmason
03-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Well, here we go again. Looks like it's going to be another Ferrari vs McLaren F1 season. I hope this year BMW Sauber will be able give the top two cause for worry. A three-way fight makes for a more interesting season.

uawaterskier
03-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Go Clint Bowyer!!!!!!! Oh your talkin about that "other" kind of racing.

TMCNo1
03-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Go Clint Bowyer!!!!!!! Oh your talkin about that "other" kind of racing.

I hope someone cards you before you get to the concession stand at Talledega!:rolleyes:

Ski Bum
03-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Dont watch much F1 but ski on one

uawaterskier
03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
I hope someone cards you before you get to the concession stand at Talledega!:rolleyes:
didnt you know?!?!?! Nascar lets you bring your own cooler into the race. I took a case and a half into Atl with me. Who won that race anyway?:confused: :D

JKTX21
03-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Just got into F1 last season by chance of watching a re-broadcast race early one Sunday morning. Started watching all of the practices and qualifiying after that.

You can say what you want, but in my opinion, there is no other racing as pure. The cars are built from scratch with unique engineering every year and drivers that were bred for the sport. My dad is a NASCAR fan... he never heard the end of it when I predicted Juan Pablo would handle up at that road course race last season!

uawaterskier
03-25-2008, 01:53 AM
[QUOTE=JKTX21]You can say what you want, but in my opinion, there is no other racing as pure. The cars are built from scratch with unique engineering every year and drivers that were bred for the sport QUOTE]
and nascar isnt?

TMCNo1
03-25-2008, 06:00 AM
[quote=JKTX21]You can say what you want, but in my opinion, there is no other racing as pure. The cars are built from scratch with unique engineering every year and drivers that were bred for the sport [QUOTE]
and nascar isnt?

Just like Feetmabawl and Basketmabawl, that's why it's so boring!

YooperScott
03-25-2008, 08:42 AM
he never heard the end of it when I predicted Juan Pablo would handle up at that road course race last season!

Juan Pablo got LUCKY and won on fuel mileage/pit strategy. He did not flat out beat people on the track. He was not hanging out in the top 5 much if at all until the end when he won on pit strategy if I remember right. I think he is a great driver and he cleaned house back in his CART days but it's not like he schooled people last year. That said I would not bet against him this year on the road courses, but the Gordan's (Jeff and Robby), Stewart, and some others will most certainly give him a run.

I love pretty much all racing, but F1 to me is the most boring. Yes they are advanced cars with amazing performance, but it seems like it is merely who pays more. Yes I realize they are all that way somewhat, but in F1 there are only about 2 or 3 people that will ever win (crashes/failures aside). The first lap is usually the only exciting one because the guy who leads into the first turn usually wins and often leads every lap.

All that said if really any race is on, I am watching it if I am in front of the TV. Nascar is the only one I try to make sure I am in front of the TV for though.

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

JKTX21
03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I saw him driving everyone DEEP in the corners all day!

I will sneak a peek at NASCAR every now and then, but kind of like basketball... the last ten mintues tells me all I need to know.

defender1009
03-25-2008, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=JKTX21]You can say what you want, but in my opinion, there is no other racing as pure. The cars are built from scratch with unique engineering every year and drivers that were bred for the sport QUOTE]
and nascar isnt?

No, it isn't. There's no "car of tomorrow" template that teams have to go by in F1...they're all unique, and may the best engineering/driving/pit strategy win. This constant push for equipment parity is what has made NASCAR so boring to me lately. I say give them a really loose set of specs that they have to build, and may the best car win----there's just zero innovation there. Jeez, nobody even makes a production carburated engine anymore.

As it sits today, I don't see why any manufacturer would lend their name to a NASCAR team----the cars are all carbon copies of each other, with a different set of grille/headlight stickers for each manufacturer. There's nothing that happens on the track that should translate into increased car sales for that brand.

YooperScott
03-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Yes but the difference in Nascar is that there is actually some passing. More lead changes in a lap sometimes than passes period (of any position) in an entire F1 race. F1 cars are light years more complex no doubt, but as JKTX1 said all he needs to see is the last ten minutes of a Nascar race to know what happens, my comment would be you generally only need the first turn in F1 to know what happens. ;) Was it the season opening race in F1 I was watching where it may have not even been double digit cars finishing? And of course the typical 20+ second leads.

All that said I would give my right arm to drive an F1 car. :D

I'll predict the next race now. If the Ferrari's hold together Massa or Raikkonen win. Probably whichever one is in front after the first turn assuming they finish. ;)

Scott

Benny Boy
03-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok ok ok, So I said it would take a while for Ferrari to adjust to their new managment team and I was wrong. Man was I ever wrong this weekend. They blew everyone away. Even if Massa didn't make it to the end, they would have been 1 and 2. I hope the rest of the field doesn't let them get away too far.

For that whole Nascar - F1 debate, I agree there is more passing involved in Nascar, but who cares when you know that it doesn't really matter if someone passes the other till the end of the race. There is so much passing that you know the only passing that really counts is the one that happens in the last 2 laps. What also bothers me in Nascar (or Indy Racing) is that quite often, the dirtiest driver may win over the most talented one. To me, taking the other driver out of the race with your bumper is not actual racing.

Don't you Nascar fans throw too many chairs at me, it's just my preference ;) 8p

Benny Boy
03-26-2008, 12:27 PM
All that said I would give my right arm to drive an F1 car. :D
I'll predict the next race now. If the Ferrari's hold together Massa or Raikkonen win. Probably whichever one is in front after the first turn assuming they finish. ;)
Scott

You know too much!

If you give your right arm to drive an F1, you may run into a problem:D

ncsone
03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I read the other day a report that quoted Kimi saying that he had already backed the pace off before the 1st pit stop. If that is true, that is one fast red car. And I take back my previous statement about McLaren being the fastest of the field and being the favorite for the championship.

Benny Boy
03-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, but you never know, the Ferraris could start breaking down (wishfull thinking).

JKTX21
03-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Yes but the difference in Nascar is that there is actually some passing. More lead changes in a lap sometimes than passes period (of any position) in an entire F1 race. F1 cars are light years more complex no doubt, but as JKTX1 said all he needs to see is the last ten minutes of a Nascar race to know what happens, my comment would be you generally only need the first turn in F1 to know what happens. ;) Was it the season opening race in F1 I was watching where it may have not even been double digit cars finishing?

Scott

1) I think the constant overtaking and RIDICULOUS amount of cautions (to gather the 87 car field) is the only thing that saves NASCAR and makes it mildly entertaining.

2) Actually if you watch the two days of practice for a F1 comp, you can figure out who will win the race :)

I really wish they would "turn the NASCAR loose." Take the restrictor plates off and let the teams get crazy with the cars. It would make for better TV.

Can we please start the argument of is it easier to transfer from F1 to NASCAR or vice versa? I'm dying here! :D

YooperScott
03-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Actually if you watch the two days of practice for a F1 comp, you can figure out who will win the race :)

Good point! :D Actually I will go ahead and say it now. Bahrain will be Räikkönen if he finishes. Massa second.

I wish they would get more advanced in Nascar. Fuel injection would be nice and a little less of a template car. If they make too much power then make the engine smaller (not like there are any factory 358ci V8 sedans anyways). Then again the car of yesterday got really out of hand when they didn't even match left to right. They should have made a rule where they needed to be symmetric. :) I would like to see more road courses too, but I understand why they don't/can't.

Now your comment about drivers switching makes me wonder? In my mind it takes way more skill to drive F1 cars than Nascar. I personally have some experience in racing left and right and think going to an oval would be easy, or much easier than the other way around. But many open wheel types just do not seem fast in Nascar where for instance a few years ago I remember reading/hearing about Jeff Gordan testing an F1 car and being suprisingly fast right away. Although, and believe me I am no Gordan fan, that may just prove that he really is that talented? Some people are just fast on anything with a motor.

Scott

ncsone
03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
I think if a driver really has talent, then he will be fast in just about any car.

I had a friend of a friend who was at the Senna/Penske CART test way back when. He mentioned that Senna mentioned driving NASCAR for a year just to see what it would be like...

TMCNo1
03-27-2008, 09:56 AM
1) I think the constant overtaking and RIDICULOUS amount of cautions (to gather the 87 car field) is the only thing that saves NASCAR and makes it mildly entertaining.

2) Actually if you watch the two days of practice for a F1 comp, you can figure out who will win the race :)

I really wish they would "turn the NASCAR loose." Take the restrictor plates off and let the teams get crazy with the cars. It would make for better TV.

Can we please start the argument of is it easier to transfer from F1 to NASCAR or vice versa? I'm dying here! :D

It is obvious that turning left all day may be easier than road course racing and a bunch of the road course racers are jumping over for the somewhat better money, more races, more relaxed racing as their careers are peaking and they are also under contract to owners who own and campaign cars in the 24 hours of Daytona, Sebring, Indy Car (example, Gannasi) and they want to use their road racing talents that most NASCAR driver don't really care for. Then look at the NASCAR teams (Sprint Cup/Nationwide Series) who bring in the road course ringers (example, Boris Said, among others) to run Sanoma and Watkins Glen, Mexico City, Canada. When has a Sprint Cup/Nationwide driver jumped over to run the Indy Car road cources. Tony Stewart and Robby Gordon have returned to Indy, but they still turned left all day and they don't jump over to run any road courses, besides, that's where they actually progressed their careers before coming to NASCAR. I realize some of the NASCAR drivers compete in the 24 Hours of Daytona and I see it as just a off season giggle event to hone their road racing skills.:twocents:

Benny Boy
03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
1)

Oh yeah, could we ever argue!!! But not me. I think there is a very small minority of overly talented drivers who can be fast in both series, but they are technically so different beyond just the fact that you turn left in one serie and both ways in the other;) .

I've been a fan of Jacques Villeneuve who won the Indy 500 after his car broke down and being 2 laps behind, then he became F1 world champ. He tried Nascar this year and had a hard time to adjust He talked quite a bit about the difference between the way these cars behave and it's quite interesting. I'm sure he can have a great career in Nascar, but nothing is garanteed for him.

Some people have the caracter to drive the fastest car in the world and put on the brakes at the last minute before a wall to go from 250 to 30, but they can't be surrounded by a zillion cars and get bumped left and right. My thought is that Nascar requires a very specific type of person to drive through that zoo.

But Villeneuve said they are the coolset cars to drive. He's never had so much fun as in Nascar.

Benny Boy
03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
1)

Oh yeah, could we ever argue!!! But not me. I think there is a very small minority of overly talented drivers who can be fast in both series, but they are technically so different beyond just the fact that you turn left in one serie and both ways in the other;) .

I've been a fan of Jacques Villeneuve who won the Indy 500 after his car broke down and being 2 laps behind, then he became F1 world champ. He tried Nascar this year and had a hard time to adjust He talked quite a bit about the difference between the way these cars behave and it's quite interesting. I'm sure he can have a great career in Nascar, but nothing is garanteed for him.

Some people have the caracter to drive the fastest car in the world and put on the brakes at the last minute before a wall to go from 250 to 30, but they can't be surrounded by a zillion cars and get bumped left and right. My thought is that Nascar requires a very specific type of person to drive through that zoo.

But Villeneuve said they are the coolest cars to drive. He's never had so much fun as in Nascar.

Benny Boy
03-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Sorry! :o