PDA

View Full Version : How young is too young?

als2104
03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
My son is turning two next week and, although he wouldnt get to use it until June or July, I think a ski skimmer/horseshoe would be a great B-Day present. My wife tells me I'm crazy. "He's too young, theres no way I'm letting him ski this summer." I keep showing her pictures of the skiing 4 month old and the skiing squirrel. "If they can do it, surely he can." So what do you all think? Is 2 yo too young? How old were you and what was your experience?

P.S. If anyone has a ski skimmer they wanna sell lemme know. Shhh, dont tell the wife.;)

wakeX2wake
03-17-2008, 12:04 PM
from what i hear... too young is a man in china

D3skier
03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Seth Stisher started his little girl skiing at 17 months. April Coble started her kids at a very young age as well. We have a 18 mo old right now and I plan on having her skiing by the end of this summer. So I guess it just all depends on how comfortable you are with putting them behind the boat

H20BOY
03-17-2008, 12:17 PM
The biggest thing I can see is how comfortable they are in the water. You don't want to force them and scare them from the water, but if they want to try go for it. On the other hand what do I know... My baby won't be here til July anyway.

erkoehler
03-17-2008, 12:17 PM
My nephews will be 3 in May, and I plan to have them out there. I would have done it last year, but my sister is a bi*otch and wouldn't let them come on the boat with just me and my brother for fear of us letting them ski :)

h2oskifreak
03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds pretty young to me to be behind the boat. Do you have a boom? I would be careful about creating fear at that age. It could backfire and take longer in the end if they develope fear. All for getting them started, each child is soo much an individual, you know if they are willing and ready. My ex was too over protective and it has not been a good thing.

east tx skier
03-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Not sure how the ski skimmer is, but we have zip sleds, which can be ridden sitting, kneeling, or standing. They float. Our son had his first ride at about 18 months old with me dragging behind him.

defender1009
03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Whew---glad this topic wasn't what I thought it was about! ;)

I'm not sure what a ski skimmer is exactly, but we have an old zip sled and my son started riding it around age 3. (pic attached)

I think another poster hit it squarely on the head---it's all about how comfortable they are in the water. If they freak out and get terrified if they fall, it's just going to do more harm than good.

jbfootin
03-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Emelia was 2 in this pic. She was scared in this pic but excited when it was over. We only went maybe 100 yds before i slid in and grabbed her and then she just kept saying " I skiied!"

OKboarder12
03-17-2008, 01:20 PM
let him ski... everyone no matter what age loves the water..

flipper
03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I agree with most here, if the kid wants to....have at it. If not, let him wait. Don't want him to fear water, but if he wants to go for it!!!!

Jim@BAWS
03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
All 3 of my boys skied on 2 skis, tied together right before they where
3 years old. Not just turning 2. What is the point here? Is this for you or for the kids? None of them are going to remember skiing at that age. Kids need to be able to have some basic controls in the water. Turning themselves over, being able to hold there breath etc etc etc. Having taught swimming for many years. Don't force the issue so you have a story to tell. 3 years old being comfortable in the water is fine. Why take a risk? As they see you and other ski they will want to go out and try it. Let it come a little naturally . Work with them on the beach pulling them back and forth.

Good Luck

Jim@BAWS

Roonie's
03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old an neither has wanted to do anything other than tube behind the boat yet. I have asked many times and they just are not ready yet even though they have been on boats many times. This summer I am hoping on taking my 5 year old surfing with me. I don't like to force the issue and when they are comfortable with the idea I will take them. They really like to watch daddy and mommy wakeboard and surf. I know if I force them to early and they have a scary experience they will not go again for some time.

east tx skier
03-17-2008, 01:52 PM
All 3 of my boys skied on 2 skis, tied together right before they where
3 years old. Not just turning 2. What is the point here? Is this for you or for the kids? None of them are going to remember skiing at that age. Kids need to be able to have some basic controls in the water. Turning themselves over, being able to hold there breath etc etc etc. Having taught swimming for many years. Don't force the issue so you have a story to tell. 3 years old being comfortable in the water is fine. Why take a risk? As they see you and other ski they will want to go out and try it. Let it come a little naturally . Work with them on the beach pulling them back and forth.

Good Luck

Jim@BAWS

This is really the key. In our case, I think we'd pulled him around the carpet so much and he'd spent so much time on the boat watching us ski that when he asked, we figured out a way to make it happen for him. Like Jim, my wife was a swim instructor for years and both she and I have been certified life guards at one point in our respective lives. At 22months (and still, at approaching age 3), we're riding with him. (disregard my comment about 18 months; he was 18 month old when we bought the zip sled). There's absolutely no way he's going to be out there alone until we are satisfied that he has the basic controls down pat.

Of course, that's not to say that I wasn't proud to hear my wife say that he hid from her as they walked through the garage on their way to the car to go to school. When she found him, he was behind the boat, holding onto the zip sled rope and said, "Mama, I want to go water ski!" I tear up just picturing it.

This is at 22 months.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/CamonZipSled06-17-2007.jpg

ShamrockIV
03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
never too young!!!!!!

ntidsl
03-17-2008, 02:06 PM
never too young...my sons was playing on his board so hard at 3 he broke it...he always tried to jump the wake...he's always been very comfie in the water though. we would sit back and he's ski for 20 mintes and we'd relax int he boat...only time we got any quiet...lol...again though he's really goo din the water and had no porblem being alone in the river while we turned around to pick him up.

Sodar
03-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I try to stay away from anything under 18.... OOPS wrong topic!

Cool Pics Guys! The key is to wait until the kids want to do it. My aunt was know for bribbing my little cousin to get behind the boat... she would always offer toys, money or candy for her to do it. She always resisted still wants nothing to do with watersports at 15 years old. My brother and I both waited a long time to get behind the boat. We both surfed, rode jet skis and even scuba dove off the back of the boat, before we got behind the boat. Weird, because one summer we just decided we wanted to ski and I think I was close to 10 years old....

whitlecj
03-17-2008, 02:19 PM
I say go for it. You may be building a future pro!

Gonzo
03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Comfort in the water was the biggest thing with my 4 yr old. We waited until she was comfortable enough not to cry if the boat left her in the H2o by herself to come around.... FYI, we started her in a tube WAY TO EARLY. Even if you drive nice she slapped her face on it because she could not support herself well enough.. I would have rather had her on a skid anyday.

chudson
03-17-2008, 03:17 PM
That's the ticket some carpet runs 1st and then as long as there're comfi in the water it should be a fun experience for'em with mom or dad draging along behind them. We about wore the paint off our trainers in the front room with both of our kids. Never had one of the horse shoe boards but that looks like a real smart way to start'em off even younger. Either that or a zip sled. Just has to be fun for them is all, they may not remember when they are adults but each experience will make them want to keep going back for more!!! Goodluck and post pictures

Rich_G
03-17-2008, 03:19 PM
the first several attempts with the Ski Skimmer for 2-year olds don't need to involve the boat. You can pull them along the shore line in ankle deep water at brisk walking speed. Having mom close by and a lot of "woo hoo's" from the crowd help out.

You may not want to get past this level in the first summer. Even if they want to go behind the boat, one scary experience can set them back, and make them afraid of anything behind the boat for several summers.

suedv
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I know "tube" isn't a popular word, but I've know people to take a gentle tube ride with little kids to get them used to being on a rope behind a boat.

als2104
03-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I'll see how comfortable and eager he is, so as not to force it on him.

Does anyone have a zip sled theyd be willing to part with? That sounds like it may be easier than the skimmer. Thanks

east tx skier
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Does anyone have a zip sled theyd be willing to part with? That sounds like it may be easier than the skimmer. Thanks

I wish you luck in your search. It took me four years of hard searching. Ebay or one of these forums is typically your best bet.

als2104
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM
I wish you luck in your search. It took me four years of hard searching. Ebay or one of these forums is typically your best bet.

I guess that means yours isnt for sale???:rolleyes:

chudson
03-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Might be a long shot but if you have a Plat-it-Again-Sports shop near you you could check with them and even see if they can do a store to store search. You never know!!!!

http://www.playitagainsports.com/

wakeX2wake
03-17-2008, 05:17 PM
just another piece of redundant advice... i started skiing when i was 4... slalom by 7... always wanted to get out there b/c my older role models (my parents and older cousins) made it look so friggin cool... the cooler it looks and the awe-inspired the little one can be the faster they will want to get out there and stay out there

suedv
03-17-2008, 06:51 PM
If you can't find a zip sled wouldn't a knee board be similar? Couldn't a child ride double with an adult on it? Not saying I've done it, but it seems like it is a similar kind of equipment.

Diesel
03-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Ski skimmer is great. I had both my daughter and niece up on the ski skimmer at 2yo. The key is to get in the water and hold on the back of the ski skimmer as the driver puts it in gear. A fast idle is all that is needed and they pop right out of the water. You can drag along holding on the ski skimmer's back edges and talk to them as you go along stabilizing the skimmer. When they are stable and comfortable just let go and they will be skiing by themselves.

Carbon Dreams
03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Last summer, by son was 2 and surfing with me. The summer before he was up by himself on a blue bayou just before he was 2. He was a little scared, but did very well. I started with him and let him go when he was up. He got scared when he realized he was 50 yds from where he started and just let go. Now, he's really anxious for summer to start so he can go surfing again.

The key for me was not to force him, but to show him how much fun he could have. Tears are not allowed in our boat. Neither are arguments.:D

2RLAKE
03-17-2008, 08:18 PM
we started our kids on the ski skimmer around 2. One of us would be in the water with them about 20' behind the boat, then the other would just pull them in ... good arm workout

Once they got comfortable, I threw a short rope over the boom and then just set them in the water with my wife driving just above idle ... that way i was right there and could haul them back in the boat.

I had my daughter skiing a month before he second birthday

snork
03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
My youngest daughter was little over a year old when she wanted to be towed up and down the beach on a knee board built for a small person, It was maid by Hyperlite and called the Joker. Ran up and down the beach for a entire summer, as long as she was having fun.
Spring next year when she was 2 we would start her from the beach, about 30' of rope, removed the lap strap, and taught her to lean way back so to keep the nose of the knee board up when the boat was put into gear, once the board was on plain she could sit uprite. I would never run more than 1000rpm <5mph for oh, 30 minutes or so, great times. The rest is memorable history.

onewheat
04-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Oh, this thread is about skiing. I was thinking something completely different. Nevermind. :D

uawaterskier
04-05-2008, 03:11 AM
my dad started me at 3ish on two skis tied together...don't really remember much other than riding the around the yard first behind the lawnmower. Than and he would start me off the the platform and reel me out kinda like a fishy. Hope that helps?

brucemac
04-05-2008, 06:44 AM
cute pics

can't wait!