PDA

View Full Version : refrigerator installation

Oklahoma 280STS
03-17-2008, 10:05 AM
To eliminate the ice chest hassle, I am installing a AC/DC refrigerator. The closest 12 volt power supply is the amplifier. The amp. power supplies are square male prongs that are held in place by an allen wrench screw. Any suggestions on how to connect the refrig.
wiring (12 ga. AWG) to these posts? Thanks...

Sodar
03-17-2008, 11:26 AM
For a fridge, you are going to want to run the wire to a distribution panel... You are going to want to have it on a seperate circuit with its own breaker and designated wire run. I would strongly advise that you do not attempt to piggy tail it to your amp!

Oklahoma 280STS
03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
The refrig. wiring has an in-line 15 amp. fuse. Are you recommending I route it directly to the battery?

TX.X-30 fan
03-17-2008, 02:21 PM
The refrig. wiring has an in-line 15 amp. fuse. Are you recommending I route it directly to the battery?

I believe an inline fuse block with its own fuse/breaker.

JimN
03-17-2008, 02:54 PM
The best way to connect to the amp's distribution block is to not connect to it. Every time the 'fridge kicks on or off, there's going to be a big voltage spike. Anything connected to the 'fridge's power source will see this spike and the life of those accessories will be shortened considerably. Best way to do this is run a separate power cable for the 'fridge, with its own fuse. This allows the battery to act as a big filter capacitor and absorb most of the spike.

Your amp(s) will thank you, your head unit will thank you and your speakers will thank you.

trunderw
03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
trunderw will thank you