PDA

View Full Version : And then...depression set in

stuartmcnair
03-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Got the boat out of the warehouse today. Finished up a few maintenance issue and charged the battery. Gave it a little starting fluid and it fired right up but sputtered out. Then, it wouldn't start again. No idea what is wrong. I think I may have just flooded it. Going to give it another go tomorrow.

:(

88 PS190
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
any reason to think it could be flooded?

sounds like you may have gotten it started on the ether, but now you aren't getting fuel?

That's where I'd start from, make sure you have fuel getting up to the engine.

Normally 4 stroke engines don't "flood" bad enough to just not start, atleast from what i've seen they still make enough pop at the spark plug that normally they will start even with wet plugs (not so on alot of 2 strokes)

But definately let us know what you find.

Jerseydave
03-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Try new plugs, dry gas and fresh fuel in tank. Have you changed fuel filter? Did you use STA-BIL when you put it away in the fall?

Keep us posted. Good luck.

JimN
03-17-2008, 09:05 AM
"Normally 4 stroke engines don't "flood" bad enough to just not start, atleast from what i've seen they still make enough pop at the spark plug that normally they will start even with wet plugs (not so on alot of 2 strokes)"

If the throttle is pumped while cranking, it's easy to flood a 4 stroke to the point that it won't start. The key is knowing what to do in that case, which it go WOT and crank it, and if/when it fires, drop it back to a normal RPM.

shepherd
03-17-2008, 09:10 AM
If the throttle is pumped while cranking, it's easy to flood a 4 stroke to the point that it won't start. The key is knowing what to do in that case, which it go WOT and crank it, and if/when it fires, drop it back to a normal RPM.

I had an old Mercruiser that used to flood all the time before I got a carb rebuild. It wouldn't start unless I did exactly what JimN said. Hold the throttle wide open while you crank it and it will eventually fire.

JimN
03-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Stuart-

Dry gas- the all-purpose solution, right? Nope!

In the words of the prophet Homer Simpson, "Alcohol- the cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems".

When you're talking about gasoline, there's not much that is more true. If the gas comes from the pump with ethanol, it immediately has a strike against it because it attracts and mixes with water. Once enough water has been introduced to the gas/alcohol mix, the motor runs like crap. The solution? Add gas with alcohol. Huh? The alcohol will only mix with water until it can't anymore and then, it won't. Now, there's a somewhat diluted mix of water and alcohol at the bottom of the tank, a layer that is somewhat mixed and a layer that isn't mixed. Which layer will burn best, and where is that layer? It's on top, away from the fuel pickup tube.

Best bet- take a fuel sample and let it settle. If you see a layer of water or it's cloudy, it need to go. if it's clear and there's very little/no water/no cloudy layer, it may be old but it should burn.

Apparently, you have spark. Did you look into the carb to see if you have fuel squirting when you move the throttle? Do that. If you don't, make sure the bowl isn't dry- remove the fuel line form the pump and make sure there's gas at the pump. If not, find out why- look from the fuel pickup tube all the way to the pump.

If you have gas to the pump, pour a little gas into the carb and try to start it again. The motor turning will make the pump draw fuel from the tank. If everything is OK from the tank forward, it will eventually run. Use gas instead of starting fluid because it burns slower, which means it will run longer on each squirt.

Also, clean your flame arrestor.

dog paw
03-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Dont know what your running but I had a buds Moooooomba throw a fit like that and it turned out to be a one way check valve in the fuel line back at the tank hung up. Happened after it had been sitting also. It was a TBI engine.

stuartmcnair
03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
here's a more detailed description...

before I put the boat in the warehouse I filled the tank with 89 octane (was almost empty)...added a can of sea foam and ran it for a bit to get that through the engine.

Went to start it and gave it a shot of ether...fired right up. Fuel was going into the carb just fine but when it popped a LOT of fuel went through and then it would not fire up again. The boat ran perfect before I put it up. Barely had to bump the key for it to start. I changed all the filters, plugs, oil and trans fluid right before I put it up as well but it ran fine after that.

Only thing I did that I was worried about was the fuel line that I built but the fuel was coming into the carb just fine.

I was also having an issue keeping the battery charged. I am waiting on my mechanic to get me a blue top since he gets me stuff at cost but he is at the beach. Might just have to pay the extra thirty and go pick on up.

I was trying to start it without any additional throttle. I had no idea that for a flooded engine you should try to start it wide open.

I'll try that tonight.