PDA

View Full Version : Battery Recommendations>

6ballsisall
03-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Fired up the MC today. I noticed the Deep cell that came with the boat was very low on a charge. Had to jump start it. What kind of battery does everyone use in their boat. Is a deep cell the ticket?

NeilM
03-29-2005, 10:45 PM
That's what I use. In my opinion, the stereo on with the engine off qualifies as deep cycle.. You can buy a new one every couple of years for the cost differential between a good deep cycle and a premium battery, which will only last a year or two longer.

Brn85ss
03-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Just bought the blue Optima dual purpose at Costco.It had a kirland battery in already that seemed to be fine,it was seven years old so it was time to move it in the fishing boat for the trolling motor.Have not tried the new Optima yet but i'm sure it will be great.Not cheap $142.00.

mika
03-30-2005, 09:12 AM
buying a new blue top optmia soon. Lake still frozen so no rush for me.

Grandwilli
04-29-2005, 03:52 AM
I had a Die Hard Marine battery that barely lasted 2 years. I replaced it with the Optima Yellow Top and she cranks the first time everytime. Very impressive when launching or leaving a crowd.

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 03:55 AM
Um, what happened there?

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 10:43 AM
On a mechanics recommendation, I put a Delco marine battery in my boat for about $70. Two years with perfect starting record. My stereo is a measely 200watts with four speakers so I don't feel the need to go with anything more.

LakePirate
04-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I am a big fan of Interstate Batteries
Got one in my MC and Avalanche
Never had any problems
Plus, every small town mechanic and tire store sells 'em in case something does happen

Psheehy
05-21-2005, 09:04 PM
I work for a battery manufacturer. A good quality standard battery should be fine if you take care of it. Remove it in the winter & boost charge it once a month while boat is in storage. Never let it go completely dead from no use. You will never bring it back 100%. In hot climates, more acid & less plates makes for a cooler running longer lasting battery. In colder climates, you'll need more plates for higher cranking amps at lower temps, but you increse your risk for over heating & grid corrosion. Select the right battery for the application.

Cary K.
05-21-2005, 09:17 PM
I have two Optima Yellow tops on a Perko switch and have never had any problems.

lakes Rick
05-21-2005, 09:20 PM
I am a big fan of Interstate Batteries
Got one in my MC and Avalanche
Never had any problems
Plus, every small town mechanic and tire store sells 'em in case something does happen

Lake Pirate, my experience with Interstate is they will leak all over as they age and ruin any metal or paint the acid pukes on.. Almost as bad as an exide.... My mechanic used to sell them. He had the interstate guy come get the display and now stocks Delco.. Just his/my experience with them...

IF your optima goes and tests bad, make sure you have it charged well with a commercial charger that can charge at a constant 20 amps.. My 5 year old Optima did this and charging with my 10 amp or trickling it at 2 amps overnight did nothing.. After mechanic charged the heck out of it for a couple of hours at 20 amp charge it tested out fine. He told me he had seen this before with optima's and they seem to only take a heavier charge if they get low.... My 02 cents....

SkySkiSpokane
05-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Delco Marine here also. Flawless performance and no complaints for four years now.

Leroy
05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm in my third year with standard $29 Walmart battery, but I take it out during the winter and keep it charged up.

east tx skier
05-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Delco marine. Flawless so far.

/edit. D'oh. Already answered this post once. Sorry.

OhioProstar
05-24-2005, 02:10 PM
$60 Wal-Mart Everstart....left in the boat all winter with the power switch to off...fired the boat on the first turn last weekend.

ski36short
05-24-2005, 03:03 PM
I still have the original Interstate from when I bought the boat 6 years ago. I thought this might have been the year but it's still going strong.

jimmer2880
05-25-2005, 05:45 AM
for everyone running marine batteries - you don't need a marine specific battery. Just buy a "sealed", or no maintenance automotive battery, you'll be fine.

Some may notice that marine cranking amps (MCA's) are much higher than you see Cold Cranking Amps (CCA's). That's because MCA is measured at 32deg & CCA is measured at 0 (I believe.... maybe it's CCA is 32 & MCA is somewhere around 45?)

Anyway - my point is, typically a good truck battery will work just as fine, as a marine battery for less $$$'s.

FWIW - I run Delco from my local battery shop. He always treats me good.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-25-2005, 10:15 AM
I use Optimas in all my trucks, boats, and cars. I have had one fail me in last 10 years I have used them and the dealer gave me a new one after two years of use, and not prorated as most companies would do. I think it had a 3 or 5 year warranty. They are a little on the pricey side but worth the money. My two cents.

SteveO
05-25-2005, 10:24 AM
I may have to look into the Costco version. Sound like it may be the best buy, or Leroy' $29 model is a good disposable alternative. The only bad news about the $29 model is that the disposal charge they tack on may increase the priceby 5-7%