PDA

View Full Version : Toyota FJ Cruiser

Carbon Dreams
03-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking about an FJ for my wife to drive. She loves the Jeepiness and I like the quality and the fact that they hold their value.

Anyone have input as to the FJ?

h2oskifreak
03-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes, I have a friend who owned one for a week. His wife could not see out of it and just didn't feel good driving the kids around in it. I couldn't believe it was that bad so I wnt and sat in the drivers seat myself. Bar none, the worst vehicle for visibility I have ever been in. If you are serious about this rig, drive one and look in your rear view mirror and check your blind spots at rear 1/4's they are huge. I have a 2007 Toyota and I agree with the relibility point, but not a big fan of the FJ for saftey reasons. He had to feel the same to take that big of a hit only owning it for 1 week.

Carbon Dreams
03-15-2008, 04:10 PM
I've heard about the blind spots. Can't be too much worse than the old Suburbans with the clam shell doors. What do you mean about safety? I thought it got 5 stars.

cdstukey
03-15-2008, 04:12 PM
2nd h20 on the visability. I think it would be a fun second car but as a daily driver it could be a little awkward. My sister in law has one, I would hate to have to try and get kids/people/stuff in and out of the back seat on a regular basis. They do have a cool "gadget-like" quality, but depending on what she is used to driving they do lack some of the creature comforts available in other cars/suvs.

mjw101081
03-15-2008, 04:18 PM
I typically don't speak up much on these threads but I have to say that for the money and what you get, an FJ is the near the bottom of the list of vehicles i would purchase. Comfort is minimal. The seats are uncomfortable the convenience of getting in and out easy is not there. The back seat does not fold down all the way. Viewing area out the front is minimal. The blind spots are horrible. The gas mileage isn't great. A lot of the parts are specialty. I am under the impression that the vehicle won't be put to its intended use and for that reason the inconveniences are even more pronounced. That being said it does look cool. I would spend more time shopping.

h2oskifreak
03-15-2008, 04:39 PM
The stars are for crash ratings. And you will need all the help you can get if you buy one. My friens wife is 5'0 and I am 6'1, so size didn't seem to matter on the visibility thing. The old subs. w/ Clamshell rear doors were bad, but they had large rear side windows. The FJ has poor visibility in ant direction but forward. I didn't want to sound too negative, but I am far from alone on this. My best buddy sells Toyotas in Denver and he hears it all the time on test drives, you just simply can't be aware of what is coming up on you in this vehicle. If you keep it to the floor and don't allow anyone to overtake you then it's you ride. Never buy something for looks alone, that one got me a large alimony payment.

JKTX21
03-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Read some where this was one of the top 10 worst vehicles. They didn't rate the offroad quality though.

Carbon Dreams
03-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the responses. Keep em a comin'. Mostly negative, hummm, not so good. Any good comments. Always good to get both sides. It would be used in the desert and mountains during the summer and snow during the winter. The other vehicle she likes is the big wrangler. Regardless, the rig will be lifted to fit at least 35's almost immediately.

ridesdirt
03-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Never buy something for looks alone, that one got me a large alimony payment.

LMAO! :D

TRBenj
03-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Im surprised to hear so many negative comments- Ive heard nothing but good things about the FJ. Its a very capable truck (esp. offroad), and would be very dependable. Its built on the same platform as the 4Runner and Tacoma. Im not sold on the looks, and wanted the V8, so the 4Runner was my choice. :twocents:

ShamrockIV
03-16-2008, 05:49 PM
get a yukon or tahoe and you will be happy!!

Carbon Dreams
03-16-2008, 09:32 PM
get a yukon or tahoe and you will be happy!!

I've had Tahoe's, Burb's, Grand Cherokee's, etc... Driven them all. They are nice, but I cannot justify that big of a hit from the domestic SUV wallet bandits. My tow vehicle is a pumped Cummins housed in a 1-ton MegaCab :D . So towing is a bonus not a requirement.

I, too, am a little surprised about all the negative feedback. That is why I posed the question. I wanted to hear all sides.

We went out and test drove a new FJ, and were pleasantly surprised. Drove very well and had plenty of power. The blind spots were not all that bad. But then again, we don't frequent freeway traffic. Very few 4 laners around here. With a 3 inch lift and a locker, it would be pretty fun!

All in all, it seems to be a pretty good vehicle. Besides, what she wants she gets, unless it is a proven hunk of junk.

Keep the feedback coming. We haven't pulled the trigger yet...

thijs
03-16-2008, 09:45 PM
A Rubicon wrangler is the way to go. I think they are better on gas (anyone). And I think Jeep is offering diesel. There is no way that a IFS FJ could come close to a ligher, tighter, solid axel locking wrangler when it comes to off road. Might as well buy her a Tacoma or a Tundra if you want a Yota......cheaper and better towing.

And unless you are paying cash, IMO resale value is chewed up by high interest rates.