PDA

View Full Version : Lets See Some Footin?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rob Lipinski
08-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Lets See Some Footin Behind Those Boats? This is Me and My Dad Footing togather behind our PS190 In Eagle River Wis. On the Chain. Anyone thats ever been on that chain knows how hard it is to find good water. We found a short patch just before sunset in the rain on our last night. (lucky ehh?) I was amazed we did it. It was my second time ever and my dad hadnt done it in over 5 years. It took us Three trys.

Post some footin Pictures HERE :toast: :toast:

stars93
08-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Awesome shot!!!! I'll be up in Lac du Flambeau next week. Hopefully I'll get some pics for this thread.

martho
08-11-2004, 12:11 PM
a fun picture

ski_king
08-11-2004, 12:39 PM
This picture is a little dated as I havent been able to barefoot for the last 10 years.

phecksel
08-19-2004, 07:58 PM
this is me driving :)

bradamerry
08-19-2004, 08:04 PM
All great shots guys!!! :worthy:

MasterCrafting
08-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Went out again fri and took some video...paddock lake Wl/Il Border anyone ski there? anyway heres another one of just me. :headbang:

stars93
08-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Some footin in Lac du Flambeau, WI a few weeks ago. October weather in the middle of August. AUGTOBER!!!

Leroy
08-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Awesome barefoot shots, anyone know a Tom Weir from middle Tennessee? Barefoot champion around 79-83? He taught ski course at Tenn Tech University to pay part of his gas bills and I barefooted then, was really awesome! Went from boom to short rope, to sitting on kneeboard.

jimmer2880
08-31-2004, 06:20 AM
Here's what I do best....

jimmer2880
08-31-2004, 06:21 AM
Here's some Butter..... LOVE early & Late season water!

BriEOD
08-31-2004, 07:30 AM
Wow, look at that water, glass. Sweet!

MarkP
08-31-2004, 09:41 AM
Wow, I'll say, look at that water. What time of day?? So sweet!!

martho
08-31-2004, 11:03 AM
LEROY:

I would check BFC (http://www.barefootcentral.com) to see if he is in the locate a footer directory. If not, you can email Chuck/Michele and see if they know him or his whereabouts.

jimmer2880
08-31-2004, 11:36 AM
That shot was from last season... Spring - I think. When we ski really early & really late - it's usually just after Lunch. So - I'd say something like 1:00 ish.

Gotta love it!

jimmer2880
08-31-2004, 11:37 AM
I'm just glad nobody noticed the boat isn't a Mastercraft.... It would be kind of hard to get that shot from my 190 ;)

MarkP
08-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Shhhhhhh,:eek: ..

Rockman
08-31-2004, 01:36 PM
Here is pic from ealrier this year up at our cottage in Central Wisconsin. Hopefully this posts ok. Have a few more to send once I get the pixels condensed for the site. Hope this works...

Sorry, file too big. I will work on it. The thought was there...

MarkP
08-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Sounds cool Rockman…

Cant wait to see a shot of that Barefoot 200 too..:headbang:

Leroy
08-31-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks Martho, I don't know for sure what state he ended up and looks like you have to look at each state. Nice site!

Rockman
08-31-2004, 01:54 PM
This one will have to do for now. Nothing like hangin' out with the boys to end the season last year.

MarkP
08-31-2004, 01:58 PM
Nice shot!! Is that 9 ??

Rockman
08-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Started off with 10 and then lost one :eek3: somewhere in the mix. I think I have a pic somewhere with 10. It is a front shot from another boat that was ahead of us. Let me try to find it.

bcampbe7
08-31-2004, 02:38 PM
That's an awesome shot! What are the specs of the boat?

bradamerry
08-31-2004, 02:46 PM
Super pic!!! :dance: I bet that was a blast.

Rockman
08-31-2004, 02:48 PM
We have a 1995 Barefoot 200 (bought new) with a 1996 Yamaha ProV 200. :steering: We have not replaced the prop yet and use a 3 blade stainless. We have done some minor tweeking on the engine to get some more torque for pulling long lines. The boat is in excellent shape as it goes from the lift to the water and back again.

Need to note that is my wife driving. Credit given where credit is due. She never waterski'd until we started dating and now has become not only a good footer and wakeboarder, but also an excellent driver, no matter who is behind the boat.

chris.willman
08-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Did you guys step off skis or what? I wouldn't think there be enough room on the boom for you all to tumble up.

It's very cool!

Just occured to me that you probably just climbed out? Wasn't thinking.

BrianM
08-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Here is a picture from last year. For anyone who cares that is the wake behind my '88 190 at 38mph. I am on a 100ft line.

MarkP
08-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Nice shot. It looks like good water. Man I got to get a suit.

Rockman
08-31-2004, 07:01 PM
We all walked out and most of us walked back in once our feet were numb.

Good pics guys. I know I have a few good ones on my computer at the house. I will post some more this week.

:dance:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
08-31-2004, 07:54 PM
This is my nephew and me early one August morning. The photo is taken a short distance from the original post in Three Lakes, Wisconsin.

MarkP
08-31-2004, 08:05 PM
I love to see the water that flat:headbang:

MasterCrafting
08-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Sweet Pics Guys! This thread really took off! I didnt check it for a week and now were up to 4 pages! Anywho...i'm thinking about buying a barefoot suit anything i should keep in mind? Also does it count as a lifejacket or is Mr. Police Cop gonna come get me? :rolleyes:

jimmer2880
09-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Some do - some don't. I personally think that the ones that are Coast Guard approved are too bulky. I've never been stopped by the man for that yet.

I cannot recommend dolphin wetsuits (www.dolphinwetsuits.com (http://www.dolphinwetsuits.com)) enough. My first Dolphin is ~19-20 years old and is still in great shape (except for it - ~cough~ shrank lately). I recently purchased 1 for myself last year & 1 for my wifey.... you don't get quality like that anywhere else. Their customer service also rocks. See http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51&highlight=dolphin

Be careful - barefootin is addictive! Just be sure your driver doesn't pull you through a patch of floating walnuts :eek3:

Footin
09-01-2004, 08:21 AM
I never where a jacket with my barefoot suit, never been stopped for it.

MarkP
09-01-2004, 08:31 AM
"Be careful - barefootin is addictive! Just be sure your driver doesn't pull you through a patch of floating walnuts":eek:

Rockman
09-01-2004, 10:54 AM
We have both BFI and Scarpa wetsuits. Both are very good suits. The BFI's have short sleeves and the Scarpa suti is sleeveless. The type of suit must not only be comfortable for you but also must be right for you. If you will be doing alot of deep waters and surface turns, padding is critical. I wear the scarpa suit more than the BFI's as I can just wear a rash guard underneath and that seems to be more comfortable. Either suits I wear, I do wear BFI shorts underneath. These are in my opinion, the best since they are really padded. The cheeks are never bruised :) Remeber though to buy a suit that fits tight as they will stretch when wearing shorts and also just do to the material stretching.

Either BFI's or Scarpa's wetsuits are fully padded and are very similar. We do not wear any vests when footing. The pads in the barefoot wetsuits already have enough padding where it can serve as a vest. If you wear a vest over your wetsuit and foot behind the boat and fall at 40mph, you will rip your armpits out as well as your arms. This could be very dangerous.

One thing to check though is your local boating rules. In Wisconsin, it does not say that you have to wear a vest when skiing. It says the boat needs to have enough PFDs for all those people in the boat and also those skiing. We ski'd many lakes in Wisconsin and have been approached by the DNR and they never asked us why we weren;t wearing vests. Most of the time they just wanted to either drive our boat :steering: or talk about skiing :woohoo:

Hope this helps!

jimmer2880
09-01-2004, 11:45 AM
MarkP - one time while I was out longline late in the season, my driver didn't realize we had come across a patch that was literally loaded with floating walnuts.... My feet got quite bruised from that one :uglyhamme

You can order Dolphin suites long sleeve, short or sleevless. Each suit is custom made, but still in the same price range as the BFI, etc.

I use a long-sleeve, short leg suit as most of my footin is early or late season. Rarely mid-(slalom) season.

MarkP
09-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Ouch, Thought you waz kidden:eek:

MasterCrafting
09-01-2004, 05:41 PM
have been approached by the DNR and they never asked us why we weren;t wearing vests. Most of the time they just wanted to either drive our boat :steering: or talk about skiing :woohoo:

Hope this helps!

I wish they'd do that for me but...I usualy get pulled over becuase he just wants to try and give that kid with a red mastercraft a ticket. Its so annoying that they pull me over when that big yellow io almost kills people everytime its on the lake.

mcprostar197
09-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Any of you Lac Du Flambeau area skiers know White Sand Lake?.......My dad and I keep our boat at the family cabin there......Also, how the hell do you barefoot??????? I've tried a couple times with a friend and failed miserably.....however that was before the Prostar joined the family, so maybe that will help next summer.

MarkP
09-01-2004, 09:05 PM
mc, What did you use before the prostar?

mcprostar197
09-01-2004, 09:27 PM
haha, we had a 2002 Glastron SX-175

MarkP
09-01-2004, 09:33 PM
If its the same boat I'm thinking of, the Glastron is a cool ride.

mcprostar197
09-02-2004, 12:42 AM
it was decently nice for the price, but it wasnt that nice......it looks pretty sleek though

erkoehler
09-02-2004, 01:03 AM
Rockman,

Was that picture of the 10 barefooter taken at an MS walk in Illinois? I think I recognize some of the footers that are out there.

I think that the group is Jans fans or something of that nature.

Great work

Eric

stars93
09-03-2004, 05:54 PM
mcprostar197,
I was just on White Sand Lake about 3 weeks ago. There's a barefoot picture on page 1 or 2 on this thread. We stayed at a huge place towards the southeast corner of the lake. The area where we stayed was glass in the morning and had good potential throughout the day. I say potential because the air temp that week was around 50 in the morning, and low sixties during the day. As you probably know the water was frigid. We've been going up to the Minocqua area for 33 years and this was our first time on White Sand. If the weather would have been better we would have enjoyed the lake much more. Do you have a new red 197?

mcprostar197
09-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Stars93, I was at our place a few weeks ago. I think I saw your boat one day pulling a barefooter, and a few other times just cruisin around. My dad and I were skiing over there in that bay because it is frequently calm. The air and the water this whole summer has been really cold, skiing and boarding was miserable that week as you almost froze when you were doing it. Yeah we have the red 197, I was in that bay a lot that week so we probobly saw each other. So, how do you barefoot???

stars93
09-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Yeah, that was me doing a deepwater out of that spot that gets pretty shallow. We all noticed your 197, really sharp boat!!! I do okay if the water is calm and there isn't too many rollers. Didn't have too many runs this year because of the weather. I really only foot while up in the Minocqua area which is usually no more than a week or two a year. So that's my excuse for short runs. I learned before we had a boom by dropping an old wood ski. Progressed to deepwater starts, then dock starts. (We had a floating pier on White Sand which made it hard to launch off.) For me dock starts are the way to go because you don't sink and you're moving the instant you hit the water. I dread the drag of a deepwater, and would probably have problems dropping. I can cross the wakes...sometimes. And sometimes a complete run only lasts about 100 yards. And almost all the time I'm pretty happy with that because there ain't nothing like footin!!! If you're still up there, I'm jealous, even if the weather's bad.

mcprostar197
09-04-2004, 01:17 AM
no im not up there any more, we are only up there a few weeks to a month out of the year. thanks for the comment on the boat by the way, yours looks pretty good too. if i did see you barefooting, you looked like you were pretty good. do you guys always stay at that place?

stars93
09-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks! No that was our first time there. That place can sleep about 20-30. We usually stay on Blue Lake which is a few mile south of Minocqua. Perfect ski lake minus the girls camp. What is White Sand like during a normal summer?

mcprostar197
09-04-2004, 03:56 PM
During a normal summer the water is warm enough so that you dont go into shock when you jump in (it was 65 in the morning and 70 during the day last month), and the air is usually in the 80s. I would say that the water is normally mid to high 70s, and because of the shape of the lake, there is always atleast one calm bay somewhere, however on really nice days everybody is out on the lake and it gets mad choppy everywhere which kinda sucks, but i guess thats what its like on most lakes. Those are good days to go for a sunrise or sunset ski. Do you guys always go up there at the same time each year, or does it vary form year to year?

stars93
09-04-2004, 06:07 PM
For 32 years we've gone to Blue Lake during the last two weeks in July. The place sold last fall so we were a little thrown off this year. I did get to Blue Lake for 4 days in mid July though. It was that week when it was 90 and sunny everyday. Lots of footin then. The size and layout of White Sand seemed good though. Blue Lake is not quite 500 acres, and this year we counted 18 MasterCrafts on the lake (some on lifts). At least MC's dominate the area. Optimal ski time and especially ultimate barefoot time is before 10am (before the 2-3 camp boats start) and after 7pm. It's during these times that the boat waxings, tune-ups, skis, barefoot suits, ropes, and handles, become suddenly well worth it!!!!!!!!

sizzler
09-06-2004, 05:42 AM
chaps,,,,we have the same problem over here in england..too many boarders out during the day with their fat boats/phat wakes,,,but b4 8am and after 8 pm the lake becomes footers territory.....glassy mornings with the mist rising gently off of the lake,glorious red sunset evenings,,,it just doesn't get any better than that......have been footin since i was 18 (36 now ,so the falls are just begining to hurt!!)...learnt by sitting on a kneeboard and "stepping" off..progressed to deeps,flyers,front flying tumble-ups,,you name it i'll try it....speaking of which,was out on my wake-skate yesterday and just kept upping the speed until i was going about 33-35 (v.slippery) and just stepped off and footed away....try it ,it gives everyone a blast to see you footin in board shorts,especially when you crash.......

speaking of fat boats/phat wakes,,,i traded in my trusty 200 and bought a 2004 X9, so ,after 8 am i just fil up the ballast and join the boarding dudes

KEEP YA TOES UP!!

sizzler
09-06-2004, 09:06 AM
just wondered why there was not much activity on the web site.....then i remembered you guys are on holiday......have a good day at the lakes guys

stars93
09-07-2004, 01:59 AM
Sizzler, Congrats on the new boat! Please describe a "front flying tumble-up." Not that I'd ever try it, just curious. 34 is coming too fast. :popcorn:

sizzler
09-07-2004, 02:50 AM
stars......instead of running off of the jetty and landing on your back with your feet over the line,you simply run along and dive off (superman styleeee) belly flop a little(you will go under) and then as you pass the stern rollers turn over on to your back and tumble up as normal......hardest bit is to control the "porpoising effect"whilst travelling on your chest....it works best when you have an obstacle to clear on take-off as you get more clearance than with a "normal" flyer

try it ....it only hurts a little while!!!!!

Farmer Ted
09-07-2004, 07:33 AM
Sizzler,

What part of Lodon do you live in? I was posted at RAF Mildenhall for almost 4 years and had no idea there was a single MC in the UK. I wasn't looking very had, but now I'm starting to see lots of folks from the UK post.

Where do you ski? Is it as hard to license a boat as a tv? Do you have to get MOT on your boat?

Welcome aboard!

T

sizzler
09-08-2004, 02:43 AM
ted.......i live in essex,but ski at tallington lakes about 100 miles from where i live,we have a holiday home there,,,,,,so we ski every sat/sun....there must be 20 MCs there ,3 X9s,2 X7s,X5,X2 various prostars and some other make of boats......there is an RAF ski club there as well.......no mot as such ....but you have to have a ski boat drivers licence and the ability to drink yourself stupid every night and still get up early for footin'

erkoehler
09-08-2004, 05:39 AM
My grandparents have a small resort up in the St. Germain area or Wisconsin. (Pretty close to Minocqua)

The lake that we are on has a Jewish camp on it, and for all that don't know the Jewish religious day is SATURDAY. That means that on Saturdays, they don't take out there boats not once. They stay off the lake the entire day. Starting at 4-5 pm on Friday night until Sunday morning. The lake is about 105 acres, and there is only one other ski boat on the lake. (It is a really old outboard style.) And the guy that owns it skis once at 9 am, once at around lunch time, and once at 6 pm. What sucks is that there are ski hours, and you can't ski after 6 pm.

On the other hand, 9 hours of what most would consider good to excellent water is enough skiing for me in one day.

Any body see the Minocqua-Bats waterski show up in Minocqua Wisconsin this year? My brother just tried out this year and made the club.

martho
09-13-2004, 11:22 PM
That picture was taken at Jans Fans. I dont remember if it was 2003 or 2004. Both years were chilly with 03 being really cold. 2002 was toasty warm in comparison.

NeilM
09-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Sizzler, life must be good.. House in Essex, vacation home at Tallington Lakes -- that's that Ski / Wakeboard / Windsurf / everything place that's kinda on the way to Bath, right? Lotsa MC's there, if it's the place I was drooling over...

sizzler
09-14-2004, 03:42 AM
the place is great......we dont have the same sort of scenery that you have in canada,but the place is friendly and safe.....our lakes aren't as big (i can turn corners really well) .....you may be crossed up with the location....tallington is about 90 miles north of london...the lakes on the way to bath are the cotswold water park 80 miles east of london.....both are great...the way to escape london and the smelly tube system

NeilM
09-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Sizzler - north on the M1 or the A1? (a former co-worker lives in Leicester - I spent 6 months in UK over a 4 year period - most around London, some in Birmingham, some in the midlands (Market Drayton), and some in Manchester:eek: )

mcprostar197
09-14-2004, 10:14 PM
erk, I go to the bats almost every summer. this summer was the first summer in a very long time that i did not go :(

sizzler
09-15-2004, 01:57 AM
neil....north on the A1....just north of peterborough at a place called stamford.......

Rockman
09-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Stars93,

Do any skiing in the southwest 'burbs? Noticed you have Mokena on your post. Not too far from you.

Drop me a line when you get a chance.

MasterCrafting
09-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Are there any spots close to chicago? closer then the il/ws border

Rockman
09-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Chain of Lakes (Antioch) - Too many boats and drunk people on the weekends. Not too easy to find flat water. Alot of debris in the water.

Fox River (St. Charles) - Few boaters if you get there earley on the weekends. Hardly anyone out during the week. Good runs for footin'. Some debris but nothing to note...oh, there are those occassional 3 eyed squirrels

Fox River (Algonquin) - Never ski'd there but a few buddies have. Nothing to report.

Illinois River (Wilmington / Morris) - Never ski'd there but buddies of mine have. Summer weekends are sometimes crowded but if you get there early and head south, open water is there for footin' or slalom. Watch for the occassional barge or two floating through the canals.

Other than that, there is not much around the Chicago area unless you head far west or south. There are some lakes near the IL / WI border. Aslo a few over the boarder near Lake Geneva and Lake Como. Also, one in Burlington.

We did ski once a few years back downtown on the Chicago River from the locks to the Canal Street area. You can't do that unless you have a permit. That was fun.

NeilM
09-15-2004, 09:43 PM
neil....north on the A1....just north of peterborough at a place called stamford.......
OK.. If I ever get over there again (project is long since done), I'm going to go look...

Leroy
09-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Sizzler; You have to be tough! I lived in Antwerp for 2 years and the "summer" is 2 weeks long at best! Not much better where you are at I would think. Not to mention the petrol costs! Of course you probably have light until 10 or 11 PM :) There was a small ski lake just outside of Antwerp also, but never saw anyone skiing.

erkoehler
09-16-2004, 09:20 AM
mcprostar197,

That to bad that you didn't make it this year. Put on an awesome jump clinic!! We had a blast. Some of the spills that the new jumpers took were just hilarious. (don't worry, nobody got hurt) One guy didn't even make it over the ramp. Fell on the ramp, and just kind of slid over the top. Ouch! :eek:

sizzler
09-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Sizzler; You have to be tough! I lived in Antwerp for 2 years and the "summer" is 2 weeks long at best! Not much better where you are at I would think. Not to mention the petrol costs! Of course you probably have light until 10 or 11 PM :) There was a small ski lake just outside of Antwerp also, but never saw anyone skiing.
footin until almost 11pm in june,,,,,long days.......we have had a terrible summer here tho'...and from the sounds of it so have you lot in the states and canada...still in shorts at the mom..the lake temp is down to 60f..hit 78 in july.....have just got the drysuits back from the repairers ,so will be wearing those all winter...don't talk about petrol..its £3.72 a gall which at the current fx rate is $6.65....and you lot moan at $2......my X9's 35 gallon tank would cost $232 to fill....food for thought...my toyota landcruiser amazon is diesel,,which is dearer than petrol.....as well as paying in £ what you pay in $ for the boat i.e. $50,000 in the US, is £50,000 over here.......

anyway,you can't take it with you...spend,spend,spend

Rockman
11-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Here's a shot I was looking for...finally have it sized to fit here.

MarkP
11-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Sizzler, OUCH..:eek:

Rockman, nice shot

Footin
11-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Great shot!

Zach S
11-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Rockman What lake is that on?

Rockman
11-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Zach,

That picture was taken on Little Hills Lake in Wautoma Wisconsin.

tex
11-02-2004, 04:24 PM
3 dudes-one tow hold and one, one foot. gotta love that barefoot 200!

sfitzgerald351
11-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Looking at the photos I think I've decided that I ought to try 'footin. I saw the learning thread, but have a couple of more questions here.

1.) Do you need a barefoot suit specifically or can you start with a regular wetsuit (so I can try the sport without spending money)?

2) Does the water have to be absolutely glass? If I'm the only boat on the pond and have to come back through my own wakes how does that work?

3) Does it hurt the feet? Or do they just get numb or something?

tex
11-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Looking at the photos I think I've decided that I ought to try 'footin. I saw the learning thread, but have a couple of more questions here.

1.) Do you need a barefoot suit specifically or can you start with a regular wetsuit (so I can try the sport without spending money)?

2) Does the water have to be absolutely glass? If I'm the only boat on the pond and have to come back through my own wakes how does that work?

3) Does it hurt the feet? Or do they just get numb or something?

4)How many beers do I need?

6balls
11-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Good Buddy Chad Longline - RAD! :uglyhamme

MasterCrafting
11-02-2004, 05:50 PM
is that a fall?

6balls
11-02-2004, 06:41 PM
is that a fall?

YES - The Face Plant Variety

Rockman
11-02-2004, 06:42 PM
I bet that was the last time he flicked off the driver! :eek3: Ouch!

Starting to Barefoot...initial cost...

If you have a boom, all you would need is a wetsuit and a pair of barefoot shorts. You could probably get away (while learning) with a regular wetsuit and wearing barefoot padded shorts underneath. Most falls you would take off the boom probably would not be too bad where the fully padded suit would be necessary since the boat speed would be slower than if footing behind the boat. Not saying that all falls off a boom are easy but odds are they would be more forgiving than behind the boat.

If you don't have a boom and would learn behind the boat, then I would recommend getting a barefoot suit (padded) and barefoot shorts. Since you would be starting out either steppin off or deepwater, the padded suit with shorts will save you from injury if you fall hard, which is easy to do while beginning behind the boat. Also, it is necessary to have a rope made especially for footin which will not stretch. This also will help prevent injury when learning to balance on your feet. Our ropes are so tight that they almost feel like you are using a wire or cable.

Even if you learn behind the boat off a kneeboard or a wakeboard, the same applies as noted above for behind the boat.

Plain and simple, every footer like the glass but the best water is not always the glass. I prefer the water to have a little ripple in it. Having no ripple tends to burn your feet as there is no room for air and water to come under your feet. Kinda like trying to stop a motorcycle with no brakes and you are not wearing shoes! :eek: The small ripple will allow your feet to come on and off the water.

Your feet will get used to footin just like spring time when you used to play baseball. As you caught the ball more and more, you hand got used to the sting from the ball in the baseball glove Same goes for the feet. After a while, you get used to it. Those who foot all year round are used to the feel and it doesn't hurt or sting at all.

Sorry for the ramble. Good Luck!

sizzler
11-03-2004, 01:50 AM
rockman.....great photos.......most we had up was 4 long lining,,,we all did flyers off of a bank,,,,,boy did the boat squeal as we all went under...great sense of being.........good nasty trick for you,shorten your line slightly and put your foot in front of your mates,,,watch him disappear down a huge hole..he will be eternally gratefull!!

atlfootr
11-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Couple of friends and self ... cutt'n up :D

atlfootr
12-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Here's one of my wife and I .... :D

tex
12-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Here's one of my wife and I .... :D

What is the only thing better then a wife who foots? A wife who drives footing great!

atlfootr
12-09-2004, 01:22 PM
What is the only thing better then a wife who foots? A wife who drives footing great!
You got that right, tex! :woohoo:

MasterCrafting
12-21-2004, 04:34 PM
hm....barefooting ehhh, i've done that before?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-21-2004, 06:30 PM
but in a moment the fun begins!

André
12-21-2004, 07:32 PM
LLS
Was that move succesfull?

BriEOD
12-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Cool shot LLS.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-21-2004, 10:50 PM
LLS
Was that move succesfull?
Yes it was. The shot was from a ski show. We often have two skiers doing it at once....it's a crowd pleaser!

skimax
12-29-2004, 08:27 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/508/1208footin_small_pix-med.jpg
Footin on the Stars & Stripes........not the best day for "footin" it was a very windy day and this was the smoothest water we could find.

Ski-A-Rees
01-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Try this! First time I did this i was scared and I was on top!

skimax
01-07-2005, 03:29 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/508/1208Footin_003_low_mg-med.jpg
Talk about putting your neck on line.

MasterCrafting
01-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Twin Bridges ski show in Crivitz wis, had three chicks do that! it was a year or two ago...(Pyramid)

atlfootr
01-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Knew a guy who did a neck hold, caught a toe and became paralyzed :( That's one trick, I don't do anymore ...

skimax
01-19-2005, 10:50 PM
This trick(neck hold) is not for everyone.........it is very dangerous( and stupid too)

jimmer2880
01-20-2005, 06:22 AM
I have to tell you.... speaking from experience. You'all are absolutely insane for footin without a wetsuit w/bouyancy.

I've taken more than my share of hard @ss tumbles where I don't know if I could have kept my head above the water had it not been for my additional floatation (life-jacket or & Footin suit).

Nice shots though. You've got bigger b@lls than I do.

skimax
01-20-2005, 12:24 PM
It's not the smartest thing to do, but I live by the motto of "never waste a crowd"
although as I get older it's harder to do(the crowd needs to be bigger), or am I just getting smarter?

Platprostar
01-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I always thought you did it to piss off the Mrs.

skimax
01-21-2005, 12:45 PM
You should know, she always makes you drive when i foot

Platprostar
01-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I have to do it all. Drive, take pictures, call 911 when you fall.

MasterCrafting
01-24-2005, 12:36 PM
^ Heh, take it easy!

sizzler
01-28-2005, 03:28 PM
a few year back...

sizzler
01-30-2005, 03:04 PM
more recent...2004

whitedog
01-30-2005, 04:19 PM
My Kid and a few of his friends.

atlfootr
01-31-2005, 02:28 PM
OK!... so you can say it is ugly skiing but 5 barefooters at one time is impressive!... especially when you say it was done in 1970 behind a Master Craft!... you got to tip your hat to this guys!...
From left to right: Kevin Tjelle, Brian Scoggin, Mike Tjelle, Dan O'Donnell and Al Naretto

Ski Ya Later,
Oz

Professor
01-31-2005, 04:52 PM
atl - great shot :headbang:
where was the location?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Ohhhh I remember those days.....about the same time frame but a different location. Our ski club got one of the very early MasterCrafts. I tried getting a few of the guys together to get out again last summer but got no takers. Maybe this summer.

atlfootr
02-01-2005, 09:28 AM
atl - great shot :headbang:
where was the location?South Wilmington Beach Club
South Wilmington, IL.

BarefootOz
02-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I am being told now the 5 footers picture posted by "Atlfootr" was taken 1975 or 1976... so 1970's is correct!... and yes it was a MC doing the pulling... :)

Sorry for the confusion... we're getting old! :o

MCPS205
02-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Nice shot from above.

tex
02-01-2005, 02:19 PM
front step-offs behind 83 stars and stripes!

atlfootr
02-07-2005, 08:53 AM

BarefootOz
02-11-2005, 10:58 AM
My daughter Carrie found out the hard way backwards is not easy!... :)

MarkP
02-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Ouch! Nice shot though.

atlfootr
02-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey, great look'n feet though ... :toast:

skimax
02-18-2005, 12:00 PM
I've done plenty of "one ski step offs" but I've never done a " one person step on" :eek:

atlfootr
02-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Yea,

Those are some bud's up'n Indiana ... I'll post a pic' of my friend and I do'n a "human handle" stunt ASAP.

Professor
02-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey altfootr: check your pm email box...it is full

atlfootr
02-18-2005, 02:29 PM
okie dokie :dance: Last one from Professor was 02-17-2005
Re: Oh, well, time for class... 01:30pm

skimax
02-18-2005, 08:46 PM
the foot placement looks like it's gonna hurt.... :eek3:

Loewe
02-18-2005, 11:15 PM
lookin good robn and dad! can't wait to get back at it when the ice becomes liquid again!

sizzler
04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
the man of steel loses his cape

sizzler
04-01-2005, 12:57 PM
lake was 52f....effing freezing

whitedog
06-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Enio's first time on short line.

whitedog
06-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Enio short line. Second time up.

whitedog
06-01-2005, 02:29 PM
He rides for about a mile and a half on the boom at a time to work on endurence. Don't have any long line shots yet.

bepresto
06-27-2005, 08:42 PM
getting dark and perfect footin time at tablerock.

3event
06-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Hard to find butter around here , but close enuf. Pic from last summer.

tex
06-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Hard to find butter around here , but close enuf. Pic from last summer.
So I guess the 3events would be wake crossing, inverted jumping, and tricks(not shortboard)?

3event
06-28-2005, 09:54 AM
The 3 are slalom, barefoot, and wakeboard in that order. Pretty lame on wakeboard, no zeroflex yet....still using the fly-hi....

tex
06-28-2005, 10:35 AM
The 3 are slalom, barefoot, and wakeboard in that order. Pretty lame on wakeboard, no zeroflex yet....still using the fly-hi....
Mine are Jumping, Sky Skiing, Footing.

3event
06-28-2005, 01:35 PM
jump and skifly, good stuff.... i only got near a jump once. we had no proper equipment so a buddy of mine went over it on a kneeboard - wish i had some pictures of that!! after that we stuck to skiing....

tex
06-28-2005, 01:44 PM
jump and skifly, good stuff.... i only got near a jump once. we had no proper equipment so a buddy of mine went over it on a kneeboard - wish i had some pictures of that!! after that we stuck to skiing....
I have been over on kneeboards, shoe skis, wakeboards, trick skis..you name it. have you done any barefoot jumping?

3event
06-29-2005, 08:50 AM
no, never tried any bft jumping. my bft efforts have been slightly more serious in last 4yrs since buying the PS197, before that we ran outboards for many years.

a bud at work keeps threatening to hook up for some serious footing, he claims to master the beach start including a long run across grass, under a picnic table, and across the sand. that i have to see.

here's a friend demonstrating how not to engage bare feet from a kneeboard.....

MasterCrafting
07-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey Guys, i'm really glad to see my thread is still alive! I've been out for a month on the water. My footin has really improved alot. Anyway..here are some pics.

Top two pics are from Crivitz Wis. on High Falls Flowage
Bottom two pics are from Cook Minn. on Lake Vermillion

I saw a few mastercrafts out there but noone was in them. with the exception of that guy with the 81' S&S i talked to in Crivitz.

phecksel
07-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Guess what happened next

http://www.bellevillelakewaterski.com/Images/ski%20show/2005/111-1130_IMG.jpg

MasterCrafting
07-14-2005, 12:05 PM
what on earth is going on there...haha

MarkP
07-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Guess what happened next

http://www.bellevillelakewaterski.com/Images/ski%20show/2005/111-1130_IMG.jpg I can guess this one:wavey: ..

tex
07-14-2005, 01:25 PM
what on earth is going on there...haha

Back handsprings!

Dell
07-14-2005, 01:32 PM
My middle son and a friend on Table Rock over the 4th.

BriEOD
07-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Back handsprings!

Now that would be something to see! :headbang:

Dell
07-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Another one from the boy and friend.

Dell
07-14-2005, 01:40 PM
One of the old man himself trying for the first time. Hopefully before the summer is over, I can get a little more upright without taking a face plant. To old, too fat, and too out of shape to be trying this.

erkoehler
07-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Finally got a chance to get out again after a 3 week break, and it was great to get up footin on the boom! Nothing like skiing or wakeboarding....

3event
07-19-2005, 10:31 PM
What, did all the pix disappear on this thread too?????
A grab from video last weekend, 3 dudes and nearly 5 hours of watersports. Now THATs a Saturday morning!

MarkP
07-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Now that would be something to see! :headbang:
Hey Brian,

No shots of you footin?? You got to get that camera man/girl on the ball..

Cloaked
07-19-2005, 11:31 PM
One of the old man himself trying for the first time. Hopefully before the summer is over, I can get a little more upright without taking a face plant. To old, too fat, and too out of shape to be trying this.Keep working on it. If you're falling forward, you're not keeping your feet out front. Raise up, from the hips up (to get out of the spray), and keep your feet forward (not under you) by keeping the knees bent. You'll get the balance in a few more tries... I presume you're doing it the man's way?? On a 75' rope?? :uglyhamme

I posted somewhere here, in depth with details, to assist in stepping off easier...

Cloaked
07-19-2005, 11:54 PM
........I presume you're doing it the man's way?? On a 75' rope?? :uglyhamme
I posted somewhere here, in depth with details, to assist in stepping off easier...

Here's a few pointers that may help. Everyone has their own methodology buy I have found this to be simple and effective for learning.

Well while I'm not Scarpa, I have been footing a long time. The way I try to teach folks is with a simple but effective visual and demo instruction. First, I don't put my front foot in the binder when getting up. I simply set it on top of the binder, heel placed against the heel-piece. It will stay from the tug of the boat. Since I drag a foot anyway to get up, my rear foot is ready to set down when I so choose (looking for rollers :D)Once I'm up, I like to get a solid 37 - 38 MPH (me at 210 pounds). That works just fine. Too fast and you're skipping on the water. Find a good speed to plant your foot and not have it skipping at 41 - 42 MPH. I get just outside of the wake and set the rear foot down on the water getting ready to step off with the front foot. Here's the trick (and try it yourself tonight at home to see what I'm talking about); Bend the front foot knee (that is still on top of the binder). Bend it extra and while the rear foot is about to plant or possibly may already be on the water). Bending the knee of the front foot will extend the rear foot / leg out forward in front of you. Prior to bending the extra effort, the plant foot is more-or-less "under" you and not in front of you. Bend the front foot knee and you'll see the rear foot go forward, (in lieu of trying to hyperextend the rear leg and only throw you off balance and accomplish nothing). Once you're almost squatting (not literally but in a sense of figure) then plant the rear foot, throw your shoulders back (a slight tug on the rope) and lift (not step) the front foot and set it forward onto the water beside the other foot. At this point the ski is gone. Do all of this in one smooth motion and you'll be good to go. Done deal.

Now what you'll find is that you're probably drowning.. LOL... If so, you know your feet are where they are supposed to be. Leave them there (out in front of you so to speak) and raise your head, shoulders and your upper body upward to breath. This is actually allowing you to develope your balance as you stay up and get out of the spray. It won't be two or three more tries before you're stepping off, standing up out of the spray and enjoying the ride.... Trick is to bend the front foot knee but the "purpose" of this is to get the rear foot out front (and not under) before you plant.

If you're falling forward, the feet are not out front enough. If you're falling backwards, they are too far out.

For those that may want to try footing, that's the ticket. You may be rushing it a bit but honestly the smooth motion I described in stepping off is supposed to be a rush!! Just make it smooth and one continuous motion instead of several part motions to get on the water. I think by keeping the front foot on top of the binder it is much much less distracting and less maneauvers compared to getting the foot back out from the binder, out of the heel piece, and then forward to set the foot down. Barefooting is probably one of the easier things to learn in my opinion. I like to wear short pants (jump pants) so I can slide out on my rear when I'm done footing.

Just practice a mental process and you'll learn quickly on the water...

For the lighter guys and gals 34, 35, or 36 MPH is plenty. However I do like a hot speed to foot on one foot.... I do all of this on a long line. Booms are not my thing. Long line footing.... Nothing like it....It's the real thAng :D

Good luck and be patient. It's easy to get the hang of it...
Also I have posted a collage of a beach start by your's truely. :eek3:

phecksel
07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Guess what happened next

http://www.bellevillelakewaterski.com/Images/ski%20show/2005/111-1130_IMG.jpg

Here's the next shot :)

http://www.bellevillelakewaterski.com/Images/ski%20show/2005/111-1131_IMG.jpg

tex
07-20-2005, 11:39 AM
as i said-back handsprings! my neck hurts just watching!

jraben8
07-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Sporty, Those are perfect instructions. That's exactly how it was described to me 20 years ago (did I just type that) and it worked perfectly the first time. Those you can use to actually visualize and have a feeling of what it's like before you do it. Good job.

erkoehler
07-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Finally got some good boom runs in with Rockman on Tuesday night! I`ll bring the camera next time.

MasterCrafting
07-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I have no idea how / why i missed this step off but it did make for some awasome video footage...i must be getting cocky or something :cool:

6ballsisall
07-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Youch!!!! That one musta stung!! :eek:

MasterCrafting
07-30-2005, 09:04 PM
yeh, two foward rotations later....if only i could do the flips on a wakeboard....hm...

BriEOD
07-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah, those barefoot falls tend to hurt a tad bit more. I took a good fall footin' off the boom a few weeks ago. I did about 3 cart wheels/somersaults.

areamike
08-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi ya'll, I posted some recent Barefoot Videos and Wakeboard videos on my family website.

Take a look if you like. Most are in Windows Media Format.

Barefooting Videos (http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album32)

Wakeboarding Videos (http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album30)

I'll be adding more Wakeboard and Barefooting videos tonight!

erkoehler
08-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Made my first long line deep last night. Thanks for the coaching Rockman! :D

Ryan
08-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Areamike, that old barefoot clip is great! Where on eath did you find that?

areamike
08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Areamike, that old barefoot clip is great! Where on eath did you find that?

Dude! I wish I knew. I'll try to find out. That is pretty darn awesome, ain't it? That guy is cut like a Brick Crap House! He just extends that leg like it's nothing...lol. Pretty nice step off ski as well. Justa toe stop..ha! :D

MarkP
08-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi ya'll, I posted some recent Barefoot Videos and Wakeboard videos on my family website.

Take a look if you like. Most are in Windows Media Format.

Barefooting Videos (http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album32)

Wakeboarding Videos (http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album30)

I'll be adding more Wakeboard and Barefooting videos tonight!Great clips:headbang: .

Thanks

areamike
08-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks!

AH HA Ryan, here's where I found that old Barefooting video clip.
http://www.floridamemory.com/PhotographicCollection/VideoFilm2/video.cfm?VID=41

jbfootin
08-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Here are some of a friend of mine, Scott Hodek. He has been kicking butt in the state and reginal tourneys the past couple of years.

Ryan
08-11-2005, 05:04 PM
See, I'd never be able to find all this cool stuff on my own internet surfing. It really caught my eye since I found a book on the history of waterskiing (by Dick Pope Jr.). I'll have to check it out next time, I was chock full of GMAT books.

Rockman
08-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Erk,

You have come a long way since you got the new MC. See, it was the boat that you were using all the time...not the skier! :D

Glad to see you are on the way up the ladder!

Thanks again...it was awesome footing into downtown St. Charles with only the bow lights on and then seeing all the shops and bars lit up.

Next time a camera shot will defintiely be a must...maybe I'll take it off the boom! :rolleyes:

3event
08-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Another great place for impressive barefooting videos:
www.barefootcentral.com

Here's one from last Sat, 30 minutes of nice water in between the toobers. Sometimes we actually get a break.

Anyone got hints on back deeps? Are they as brutal as they look? Is that the recommended way to begin backwards footn, or can you learn by front-to-back also?

areamike
08-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Another great place for impressive barefooting videos:
www.barefootcentral.com

Here's one from last Sat, 30 minutes of nice water in between the toobers. Sometimes we actually get a break.

Anyone got hints on back deeps? Are they as brutal as they look? Is that the recommended way to begin backwards footn, or can you learn by front-to-back also?

It is DEFINATELY recommended you learn backwards before ever attempting back to fronts etc. The easiest way to learn I have read is with Barefooting Shoes (http://www.thefootersedge.com/equipment/trainingaids.htm). Once you learn that way, barefeet should be a cinch. The hardest part is you are dragging in the water a little longer than a front deep.

P.S. I don't speak from experience on this subject, only from what I have read and watched and heard from others.
Here's a little tip (http://www.frontiernet.net/~tdreyer/howto/back_deep.htm)

30 minutes of nice water in between the toobers.
Ain't that the truth!!!

3event
08-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Gotcha, and good tip on the barefooting shoes - I have seen them before but didn't think of that option. I have a couple of friends just learning now so we could all benefit from 'em.

phecksel
08-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Co worker and I were talking. He was out one day trying to run 32's and gave up due to lousy conditions, when SmartA$$ barefooter starts up runs past them and they see what they thought was a wicked fall, but he gets back up and does it again, and again. Next pass through they watched closer and and he's doing front flips. They opened the beers, LOL

areamike
08-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Co worker and I were talking. He was out one day trying to run 32's and gave up due to lousy conditions, when SmartA$$ barefooter starts up runs past them and they see what they thought was a wicked fall, but he gets back up and does it again, and again. Next pass through they watched closer and and he's doing front flips. They opened the beers, LOL

NICE!

Hey check out some of these crazy *** footers. Ron Scarpa - My Hero!

Barefoot Jumping (http://expn.virage.com/cgi-bin/visearch?user=expn&template=template.html&query=+%28ClipEvent%3AFurble+OR+VideoSport%3ABaref oot+VideoSport%3AJumping+OR+ClipSport%3ABarefoot+C lipSport%3AJumping%29&sport=%28ClipEvent%3AFurble+OR+VideoSport%3ABarefo ot+VideoSport%3AJumping+OR+ClipSport%3ABarefoot+Cl ipSport%3AJumping%29&show=0&viKeyword=)

rodltg2
08-26-2005, 12:53 PM
here's one from my houseboat trip at lake shasta off a boom on an 85s&s. i rarely barefoot so i know my form stinks.

BriEOD
08-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Nice shot Rod. I think that's the 1st shot I've ever seen of you skiing.

erkoehler
08-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Erk,

You have come a long way since you got the new MC. See, it was the boat that you were using all the time...not the skier! :D

Glad to see you are on the way up the ladder!

Thanks again...it was awesome footing into downtown St. Charles with only the bow lights on and then seeing all the shops and bars lit up.

Next time a camera shot will defintiely be a must...maybe I'll take it off the boom! :rolleyes:
Here it is, forgot to post it after we took it.....

Crash
08-28-2005, 01:13 AM
Is that you Erk or Rockman? If its you Erk, I was expecting a blue suit like your avitar...

areamike
08-31-2005, 02:15 PM
ok..here we a go...

A longline ATTEMPTED front toe hole..haha! This is one of my "barefooting buddies"

Front toe hold? (http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album32/markwav.wmv)

nice tucking of the chin I might add!

Oh and you'll also see a text book Step-off slalom ski barefoot start...classic!

erkoehler
09-07-2005, 10:52 AM
He sure is a glutten for punishment......I will be working on the step offs later today. I can deep up, but haven't tried step offs yet!

mbradey
09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
I started 3 weeks ago hard on the boom, stepping out of a ski. Here's my first time on the short rope and first time doing a tumble up start. I'm finding barefooting very addicting. Hate the hours though. We start at 7am each Saturday and Sunday, very cold, 5 to 10 degrees air temp.

MasterCrafting
10-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Nothing better then footing at the end of the season. Great water, great skies...Brisk water...(65degs) ohhhhh what a day...they only come but once or twice a season. :D

MasterCrafting
10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
well, i thought the pic above would be my last run of the year...but that changed today when i went back up to the lake with a friend of mine...and his X-2 (same lake)

stevo137
10-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Ok, not really footin' but it's kinda fun one footin' while skiing. It kinda gives me a feel of what it's like.
I felt like I could drop the ski if the binding was loose.
Isn't it pretty tough to drop a ski barefooting??
I might give it a try on a boom if I get a chance next season.
You footers are a rare breed! ;)

peason
10-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Stevo137 - it isn't too tough - proper technique helps - someone else explained it very well on the board not too long ago. A lot of it is mental - if you tink your going to crash and burn - you probably will. You're already half-way there. Personally I like getting up from a deep start - works for me.

erkoehler
10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
I was able to step-off my slalom ski on to my bare feet the first time that I tired it off the boom. I have heard that if you can foot long line, and you are a decent slalom skier you should make one of your first 10 attempts at stepping off.

stevo137
10-05-2005, 10:43 AM
You know, I didn't even realize that Area Mike already posted a video of someone stepping off a slalom on post 181 in this thread.
Cool vid Mike! :)
What speed and line length was he at when stepping off?

areamike
10-05-2005, 11:55 AM
You know, I didn't even realize that Area Mike already posted a video of someone stepping off a slalom on post 181 in this thread.
Cool vid Mike! :)
What speed and line length was he at when stepping off?

About 40mph, 65ft straightline. We have a longer line extension now.

Proper Barefoot speed.

Your weight divided by 10, then ad 20

I weigh a measly 160, but with my barefoot suit I add 10 lbs. so, my formula would be:

170/10 = 17+20 = 37mph barefoot speed for me.
Although I like it at 38 or 41-43 if I go one foot.

I usually start out on the Kneeboard myself. There's a video of that on my website under my barefooting video sig. Can't remember which one. much easier than step-off IMO. Don't even think about kicking that ski off unless you can pretty much support your weight on one foot. You will be on one foot for a second and all it takes is one toe and you face plant...REMEMBER, always try to tuck your chin when going down face first. It's hard to re-act that quickly, but if you are seriously paying attention you should be ok.

Check out this crazy stuff...we are nuts.
Whippin' (http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album32/benwhip1.wmv)

MasterCrafting
10-05-2005, 05:14 PM
just go out and try it. You dont need a boom to learn to foot!

bluelakebarefooter
10-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Well I started footin off a boom a couple years ago when i was 16 or so and my uncle sold his boat and I quit footin... well since then I have worked on gettin up off a kneeboard behind the boat and have had some runs that were 150yds but nothin really. Well all of a sudden it all clicked this fall and I can't get enough of it too bad it's startin to get cold here in michigan....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/bluelakebarefooter/64cb1931.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/bluelakebarefooter/280df6cb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/bluelakebarefooter/1b399634.jpg

BuoyChaser
10-06-2005, 02:00 PM
how about footing behind an '05 ProStar 197 with MCX 350/350 engine???

just picked her up two days ago, hear the tabletop is great for footin'...curious what line length everyone has found to be better than others...might give her a try TONIGHT!!!ooops, maybe not since she only has 2.1hrs, but if i only last for less than 4minutes that would be perfect during the break-in...

ski_500
10-16-2005, 05:31 PM
This is my first attempt to include pic in a post, if it works:

Here is a pair of footers doing a deepwater start behind a classic Stars-&-Stripes. Note the footers are not bare foot, they're still wearing their boat shoes.

If you don't see the pics, check out the attachments.

BuoyChaser
10-16-2005, 06:57 PM
great shots, so what's the deal with boat shoes???never heard of that before...

love footin' behind my old stars-n-stripes...hopin' to get a chance to compare it to the new one...def'n not same amount of whole shot, so could be hangin' out for awhile...

ski_500
10-16-2005, 09:34 PM
The boat shoes eliminate the burn. Some of these guys can go for a couple of miles at a time.

:cool:

3event
10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Very nice shots! And some nice water too..... Double deepwater looks great!

I've used aqua-sox , as well as Nike hitops to barefoot in years gone by, but it always seemed like your feet were more slippery on the surface then.... Do help with the burn though...

RickDV
10-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Here's one from today. It's a barefoot choo-choo. The second footer is strapped on a line off the front footer. You can just make out the back footer through the spray.
(Kudos to my wife who has been our ace photog all season!)

RickDV
10-16-2005, 10:19 PM
One more from today.

bepresto
10-17-2005, 02:02 PM
where and how is the other rope attached. that is a pretty cool trick.

RickDV
10-17-2005, 02:39 PM
where and how is the other rope attached. that is a pretty cool trick.

The rope is attached to a harness on the front skier. We use these harnesses on our show ski team. Here is a better picture of the two of them before stepping off.

3event
10-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Very cool ! Ever try 2 slalomers on that setup (no course of course) ? Seeing 2 synchronized turning together would be quite interesting......

Ah but I suppose man2 has to make gentle pulls or he yanks the guts out of the fella ahead of him... I am sure there are lots of dumb ideas to go with this one.....

RickDV
10-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Very cool ! Ever try 2 slalomers on that setup (no course of course) ? Seeing 2 synchronized turning together would be quite interesting......

Ah but I suppose man2 has to make gentle pulls or he yanks the guts out of the fella ahead of him... I am sure there are lots of dumb ideas to go with this one.....

The turns look something like this. We've had up to 3 skiers in line.

mbradey
10-20-2005, 10:10 AM
How about backwards footing. This pic is a friend of mine who is teaching me how to foot. It took me a bit to get used to pulling someone up laying face down in the water.

Holtrodj
12-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Man, I miss summer...

pilot02
12-10-2005, 11:25 PM
great shots, so what's the deal with boat shoes???never heard of that before...

love footin' behind my old stars-n-stripes...hopin' to get a chance to compare it to the new one...def'n not same amount of whole shot, so could be hangin' out for awhile...

Boat shoes not only eliminate the burn but also allow the footer to ski at a slower speed. Pretty similar to regular shoe skies but didn't allow me to go as slow as with regular flat shoe skies. Drawback for me was that it seemed to require more work in the legs to keep my stance which equated to more soreness later. Might be a useful tool for some though.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Man, I miss summer...
Nice shot Holtrodj! You are not alone.....it will only be 5 months before the ice goes out.

areamike
12-11-2005, 09:41 AM
MAN...stop posting these footin' pics! I can't stand it..I need to foot, I need to foot! ARGHHH!
Go away Winter, CMON SUMMER!

Just got my Ocean Rodeo Drysuit, and it is AWESOME. My *** will be in the water as soon as the Ice Melts!

By the way, Barefoot Shoes are GREAT for training and learning.
Here's the pair I'm getting for X-Mas..I compared them all and these reviewd the best.
http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=86
Here's a nice review
http://www.barefootcentral.com/shoeskis1.htm
Of course, it is a little biased since it is their product they are reviewing.

skibrain
12-19-2005, 11:31 PM
We were freeskiing this summer 22 or 28 off slalom line... no time to go get the BF line so I did a quick shortline run behind my buddy's Malibu LXi. Not too much wake back there at 40mph.

atlfootr
12-20-2005, 10:57 AM
How many balls did you hit?

CoFooter
12-20-2005, 01:16 PM
You guys are killing me with those shots. Ice in Colorado is a foot thick. Families visiting So Cal for Christmas and my accomodating wife got me a 20 minute set on Christmas eve. Air is supposed to be in the 70's, water should be in the 60's. Can't hardly wait, though I have to foot behind a Nautique I'll try to get some shots.

Ryan
12-20-2005, 02:38 PM
CoFooter, where in So CA will you be skiing?

CoFooter
12-20-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm skiing at Irvine lake. They've had a ski school there for the last several years and you can pay by the set. Its called Cutting Edge. Whats the water temp there this time of year.

I see you're from Huntington. I grew up in So Cal and lived in Huntington until I moved to Colorado seven years ago. NIce place.

Ryan
12-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Are those the same guys that ran the ski school just north of Del Mar in one of those 'lagoons'?

I can only guess on the lake temp, but probably close to 60 +/-.

If you brought your wetsuit, and have some time to break away from your family, you are welcome to run down to Long Beach for a pull. I'll be skiing for a week straight starting Thursday. PM me and I'll send you the schedule and directions. No barefoot long-lines, but I can always tie a few morning lines onto the ski rope. :D

CoFooter
12-20-2005, 04:58 PM
You've got mail.......

skibrain
12-20-2005, 11:03 PM
My wife and I spent three years in Pasadena while I was in school. I did ski once at Marine Stadium during that time, but coming from MN where let's just say we have a bunch of lakes around, SoCal struck me as a place where you'd have to go searching for decent ski lakes. Granted, I was boatless and too busy to look into it a great deal during those years ('82-85).

Ryan
12-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Pasadena isn't close to any lake. I'm glad to live as close to Marine Stadium as I do, and also that it is full of salt water (keeps most the crouds away). All lakes in So CA not only get too crouded for bad conditions, but down right dangerous in the summer. Plus it takes too long to get to everything else. Elsinore is the closest, and on a Saturday morning it can take easily over two hours to get there. In the spring, winter and fall and am surprised how few boats there are on those lakes considering the weather is only a few degrees cooler than May-Sept. Trouble is, the road traffic doesn't change with the weather.

I really look forward to moving from here for two reasons, so I can buy a house, and be close to many not-so-crouded lakes. Then I can get a boat that I will keep for a long time. Rather than his one which is just my temporary saltwater boat.

atlfootr
12-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Wife and I made our "Special Holiday", Double Longline Run together!
First time out on Lanier since September.

H2o temp - mid 40's
Air temp - in the 50's

:woohoo:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-02-2006, 07:35 PM
How many balls did you hit?
I can't imagine it was more than two :uglyhamme

erkoehler
01-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Wife and I made our "Special Holiday", Double Longline Run together!
First time out on Lanier since September.

H2o temp - mid 40's
Air temp - in the 50's

:woohoo:

No wetsuits or drysuits?

CoFooter
01-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Footed with my brother in law in California on Christmas eve afternoon. Air was 80+ water was 60+, just the slightest of ripples. All I brought was my drysuit and I was sweating big time. Could have comfortably just worn my barefoot suit. Can't wait for things to thaw here in Colorado. I'll post some pictures soon.

Tennesseeski
08-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Here is some of my friend who is going to try and teach us. This is my boom, and believe it or not, this is beside my old 93 prostar that some of you will remember that got crushed by the oak tree. I sold it to him and he just got it fixed awile back. We skied it all day yesterday.

Tennesseeski
08-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Another one of Eddie. He can deep water start but he is showing us how to learn on the boom. he is going to try and learn to do it backwards so I let him borrow the boom. He is a very good skiier.

Tennesseeski
08-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Here he is 'one footin'. That is so cool I think.:cool:

3event
08-18-2006, 08:47 AM
I never heard of this guy, check out the footage:

http://www.gofastfilms.com/SKIING/skividpage.htm

atlfootr
08-18-2006, 01:09 PM
I never heard of this guyDON MIXON JR.:confused:

chudson
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
I thought there was an older guy named Don Mixon Jr. involved in footin but this guy is not that old! Wild videos though!!!

atlfootr
08-18-2006, 02:18 PM
I thought there was an older guy named Don Mixon Jr. You may of been thinking, of his father.

Zach S
08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
This was my first attempt at Footin. Need to work on the form a little...

Zach S
08-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Having some fun. Suns going down, it really wasnt as dark as the picture shows.

Zach S
08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
One more run before the sun goes all the way down.

Zach S
08-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Made it up.

Rockman
08-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Zach,

Good pics! Always fun footin before the sun goes down...:toast:

sassydog
08-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Lookin' good Zach!! also looks liek you got some great water to foot on!

M-Funf
08-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Having some fun. Suns going down, it really wasnt as dark as the picture shows.

Very nice! Get them toes up!!!:D

Is that "behind" your '85???

MasterCrafting
08-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Here's the latest...I'm cutting way out, and my friend who just started making his step offs regularly is on the inside. Very fun run...during sunset..if you didnt notice haha

peason
08-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Here is my 6 year old son this past weekend. He had a blast. But, I think he liked dragging on the line off the boom more!

atlfootr
08-22-2006, 09:13 PM
This was my first attempt at Footin. Need to work on the form a little...Ya need to work a little more than jus a little, if ya know what I mean :wavey:

Idontownaboat
08-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Ya next season me and mastercrafting are gonna build a barefoot pyramid :P

Oh and if anyone has barefoot 200 specs can you PM please

sizzler
09-03-2006, 04:04 PM
good dental work:D

sizzler
09-03-2006, 04:07 PM
clean hands

sizzler
09-03-2006, 04:10 PM
normal pose

sizzler
09-03-2006, 04:11 PM
my fifteen yr old neice

TMCNo1
09-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Good shots Sizzler, thanks for posting them!

sizzler
09-03-2006, 04:26 PM
my friend scoota,in his 1980's footin suit.....ya gotta love that

sizzler
09-03-2006, 04:28 PM
the aftermath of a nice faceplant........blown zip

scott88prostar
09-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey I had Scootas gloves back in the 80's too sizzler...hes complete....just a note I noticed you have your watch on....2 days ago a friend gave me a wiggle to help me cheek out and I made the sin of putting my hands to my face when I went out the front...the buckle on the strap went down my face....lots of blood no real damage....I'll never wear it again...but I do blame the boat driver as I always do.

Jorski
09-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Here is my 6 year old son this past weekend. He had a blast. But, I think he liked dragging on the line off the boom more!

Peason,

That is a great shot of your son!!! My 6 year old asked to try barefooting last weekend. I didn't have a barefoot handle, so he tried getting up on the boom from a sitting position on styrofoam surfboard.

He managed to handle the board and to plant his feet, but he never really tried to stand up. I was guessing at speed by watching his feet, we got to about 15 MPH and he decided that he wanted to stop. All in all a happy and relatively successful first attempt (no pain, or fear !).

I was wondering what speed you were going for your son's attempt? Also how did he do getting into the "swing" before moving etc.? I would think that the handle would tend to go under the boom until his feet started to skim the water.

BTW, great work!!! Always good to see the birth of a new footer !!

sassydog
09-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Pic from Rockman's lake this weekend. Rock fell off just after this was taken, i guess my ankles were a little too slippery to hang on to

peason
09-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Peason,

That is a great shot of your son!!! My 6 year old asked to try barefooting last weekend. I didn't have a barefoot handle, so he tried getting up on the boom from a sitting position on styrofoam surfboard.

He managed to handle the board and to plant his feet, but he never really tried to stand up. I was guessing at speed by watching his feet, we got to about 15 MPH and he decided that he wanted to stop. All in all a happy and relatively successful first attempt (no pain, or fear !).

I was wondering what speed you were going for your son's attempt? Also how did he do getting into the "swing" before moving etc.? I would think that the handle would tend to go under the boom until his feet started to skim the water.

BTW, great work!!! Always good to see the birth of a new footer !!

Thanks Jorski! it was a lot of fun. My wife was driving at about 17 mph. If you look at the picture the only thing I really worried about was how close his chin came to the boom. I kept trying to get him to extend his arms!

My 12 yr. old daughter and her friends did the boom yesterday and had a blast. All 3 of them wanted to say they "barefooted" before they started Jr. High. It was really fun watching them get it! I'll have to post some pictures when I get some copies from our friends camera.