PDA

View Full Version : $4 A Gallon 4 Cali & HI


coz
03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
By JAYMES SONG, Associated Press Writer
21 minutes ago



WAILUKU, Hawaii - "Maui No Kai Oi" is a popular Hawaiian saying that means Maui is the best. Mike Sweeney recently moved to this idyllic island from Denver and was hit with the other side of living in paradise with his first visit to the gas pump: Maui is also No. 1 in gas prices.

ADVERTISEMENT

"After seeing the total, I won't be smiling," Sweeney said as he watched the numbers on the Chevron pump spin faster than a slot machine.

The pump finally stopped at $97.20, which put 24.5 gallons in his Chevrolet Avalanche.

He was elated about living on Maui and being reunited with his black, super-size pickup truck, which just arrived from Colorado, but he wasn't so thrilled about paying nearly $4 for a gallon of regular.

While the price of oil climbs above $110 a barrel, most Americans dread the day they will have to pay $4. On this tropical island and a few stations in California, $4 gas has already arrived, straining the pocketbooks of residents and businesses.

Maui is on the verge of becoming the first area in the nation to average $4 for a gallon of regular. The average price in Wailuku reached $3.934 on Thursday, the highest price in AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report. At several stations, it was a penny shy of $4. In the remote coastal town of Hana, it was around $4.40 a gallon.

"Outrageous. Completely outrageous," said Janet Carone, of Wailuku.

The high price to get around has hurt many families, like the Carones. They're coping by driving less, carpooling or working more.

"It has a big effect because our housing is high, our food is high, and the gas prices just make it worse," she said.

Other than AAA, perhaps no one on Maui tracks local gas prices better than Deok Lee, owner of Airport Taxi. He maintains a detailed record of gas expenses using Excel spreadsheets on his laptop.

In just nine days, Lee had spent $300 to fuel his Toyota Sienna van. Like his drivers, the more Lee pays for gas, the less money he brings home. His pay shrinks by the day and by the gallon.

"Crazy," he said about the prices. "Ridiculous."

Fuel cost has more than tripled since he took over the business in 1999, and it's forcing him to consider trading his van, which costs $80 to fill, for a smaller four-cylinder car.

"Unfortunately, it's going to take away some comfort for the customers. But you gotta do what you gotta do," he said.

Lee expects many cabbies will be forced out of business if fuel prices keep rising.

Chuck Gamarata, who operates the only limousine taxi on the island, is forced to work longer hours to compensate for the gas prices. He's still taking home about $10 less each day.

"You add that up over a year's period, that's thousands of dollars," he said. "It hurts. It hurts bad."

Other businesses are also feeling pinched.

Todd Winn, co-owner of North Shore Explorers, has been hit hard since launching the tour company in September. It takes 150 gallons of diesel, at $4.20 a gallon, to fill up his 30-foot rigid hull inflatable boat, which gets about a mile per gallon. It also costs more than $100 to fill up the Ford F-350 to tow it.

While the new company is trying to build up clientele, it may be forced to raise rates or add a fuel surcharge.

"It's been dramatic enough that we've actually seen our original business model blown out the window," Winn said. "It's been quite costly and we've had to cut costs in other areas to make it work."

He shakes his head when hearing about people in other states complaining about gas prices. Maui residents remember the good ol' days of $3 gas.

"It's just the price of living here," Winn said. "I'm not sure it's fair. But at the same time, it's not going to get me to move back to the mainland to pay a buck less for a gallon of gasoline."

Hawaii is the most oil-dependent state in the nation, with more than 90 percent of its energy coming from imported oil. The state's economy is also extremely sensitive to oil prices globally because it depends on airplanes and ships to bring in tourists and all of its goods.

Marie Montgomery, spokeswoman for AAA Hawaii, said it's a little comfort for islanders that gas prices haven't risen as fast as in other states, such as California.

On Thursday, California hit another record with an average of $3.609, overtaking Hawaii ($3.587) for the nation's highest gas prices. Meanwhile, the national average has risen to a record $3.267, according to the auto club.

But Maui, which doesn't have a major public transportation system, now has all the California cities beat by at least a quarter a gallon.

Residents here have long wondered why gas prices on the island are so much higher than on neighboring Oahu, where Honolulu gas is about 50 cents less.

"It's like we work just to pay gas," resident Yolanda Ellis said. "Funny how our gas goes up but our pay stays the same."

Hawaii, which imports most of its crude oil from Alaska and Indonesia, has two refineries on Oahu operated by Chevron Corp. and Tesoro Hawaii Corp.

Both companies blame the Maui price on higher transportation costs, even though islands further away, such as the Big Island, have lower prices. They also cite several other factors, such as volume, competition and higher local taxes on Maui.

Chevron spokesman Albert Chee said the price, in most cases, is set by the station operators and owners. The company sets the retail prices for only six stations it owns out of the 63 Chevron-branded outlets in Hawaii.

The company wouldn't disclose the difference in wholesale price between Maui and Oahu. However, Chee said: "It's not 50 cents. It's not even half."

"The difference between Oahu and Maui of 50 cents is not flowing into my pocket," he said.

Chevron noted that the cost of crude oil has spiked 20 percent in the past 30 days, while gasoline has increased 9 percent nationwide and only 5 percent in Hawaii.

Not everyone seemed upset with the pump prices on Maui. Tourists, who pay an average close to $300 a night for a hotel room, don't seem to mind.

"If the gas would've been higher, we still would've gone," said Jack Glisson, of Jacksonville, Ill. "It didn't make any difference."

lanier92prostar
03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
I paid 3.89 for diesel this week in GA. I suspect it will be over 4 dollars here by the first of April.

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Not looking forward to filling up the x2... i think the most i put in it last summer was $82... then i had to start on the truck

flipper
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
I saw 4.09 over the weekend for diesel over the weekend....it was about the most expensive though.

wakolman
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
3.99 diesel in WI. Good thing I am thinking of trading it off. It will be at least a month before unleaded is at 4.00.:rolleyes:

76S&S
03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
3.79 for diesel at F Jay in Al. yesterday. Total of $107 to fill up

erkoehler
03-14-2008, 09:20 AM
$4.40 for diesel
$3.74 for premium
$3.47 for regular

OhioProstar
03-14-2008, 09:41 AM
$4.00 for Diesel in SW Ohio. With 16 miles a gallon around town...I am forking out $1 every 4 miles.

Maristar210
03-14-2008, 09:43 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/gas.jpg

Maristar210
03-14-2008, 09:44 AM
They screw you at the drive thru

sdesmond
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Dont even get me started on this again. It truley disgusts me they way we are being taken. They always had excuses to why gas prices were high. First it was the supply and demand factor. Now we have the most oil supply we have had in a long time and it is another excuse. I understand oil prices are going up and the american dollar is weak. Possibly would the American dollar be weak because of the backlash of high oil prices? It is a trickel down effect. High oil prices = high fuel cost = higher grocery cost = less money to spend on other things.

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
it will be ok gold is on the rise... which for those that didn't know is what the dollar is based on and i think we will see the dollar starting to rebound soon

snork
03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Shouldn't be. Here in America we have our own oil reserves and can dictate the price of gas. Time the government steps in and puts a handle on the gas and oil co. making a huge profit on Americans.
Lets open the reserves and stop using foreign oils.
Where do the inflation stop? With you and me.
Maybe our beloved Pres. has way too much interest in this market.
I vote for a candidate that doesn't have any interest on marketable products ( fuel, medical, insurance, steel etc.) F'n profiteers.:mad:

Maristar210
03-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Shouldn't be. Here in America we have our own oil reserves and can dictate the price of gas. Time the government steps in and puts a handle on the gas and oil co. making a huge profit on Americans.
Lets open the reserves and stop using foreign oils.
Where do the inflation stop? With you and me.
Maybe our beloved Pres. has way too much interest in this market.
I vote for a candidate that doesn't have any interest on marketable products ( fuel, medical, insurance, steel etc.) F'n profiteers.:mad:


SNORK - Laying it out there !!!!!! You go man !!!

I smell something and it ain't free gas !!!!!!

Stewart - Care to defend our great leader once again???


(they screw you at the drive thru)

#47of100TeamMC
03-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Dont even get me started on this again. It truley disgusts me they way we are being taken. They always had excuses to why gas prices were high. First it was the supply and demand factor. Now we have the most oil supply we have had in a long time and it is another excuse. I understand oil prices are going up and the american dollar is weak. Possibly would the American dollar be weak because of the backlash of high oil prices? It is a trickel down effect. High oil prices = high fuel cost = higher grocery cost = less money to spend on other things.

The most oil supply we have had in a long time? Where did you hear that? Sure we have oil reserves in the US... but we don't use them! We are still importing from other countries. You think the prices are high now... once the Democrats get their wish about pulling our troops out of iraq... you better be ready to pay considerably MORE than 4$. But maybe I should have posted that in the Democrat thread...

coz
03-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Shouldn't be. Here in America we have our own oil reserves and can dictate the price of gas. Time the government steps in and puts a handle on the gas and oil co. making a huge profit on Americans.
Lets open the reserves and stop using foreign oils.
Where do the inflation stop? With you and me.
Maybe our beloved Pres. has way too much interest in this market.
I vote for a candidate that doesn't have any interest on marketable products ( fuel, medical, insurance, steel etc.) F'n profiteers.:mad:

The people in charge of our reserve don't think like that, they want to keep our reserve full and use up the worlds reserve before tapping into ours. I think it's more a greed thing than saving for the future. What's going to happen is the world is going to get tired of us whinning about high prices and tell us to use our own if we want lower prices.

RexDog1
03-14-2008, 10:05 AM
:banana: WOW COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are on the top of the list!!!! :banana: WE DID IT !!!!!!

..oh wait, this is bad http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_29.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYMNUS) .as you were .

sdesmond
03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
The most oil supply we have had in a long time? Where did you hear that? Sure we have oil reserves in the US... but we don't use them! We are still importing from other countries. You think the prices are high now... once the Democrats get their wish about pulling our troops out of iraq... you better be ready to pay considerably MORE than 4$. But maybe I should have posted that in the Democrat thread...

I think it was wednesday that we have a 28 day supply on had which is the most we have had in some time. Let me see if I can find the article.

sdesmond
03-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah it looks like the government wants to lower our gas prices :rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22668791/

BrianM
03-14-2008, 10:35 AM
it will be ok gold is on the rise... which for those that didn't know is what the dollar is based on and i think we will see the dollar starting to rebound soon The US has not been on the gold standard since August 15, 1971. The value of the dollar has nothing to do with the price of gold.

"The dollar is flat money unbacked by any physical asset—i.e., a holder of a federal reserve note has no right to demand an asset such as gold or silver from the government in exchange for a note. Instead, the currency is backed by future claims to wealth of American taxpayers and other income sources of the Treasury"

stuartmcnair
03-14-2008, 10:56 AM
$3.13 a gallon here....

454Prostar190
03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
$4.32 for regular at the Shell station by my house. $4.62 for Premium.
But, down the street at the Arco I can get regular for $3.65 per gallon!
I think I'll take a road trip this weekend! :) Rick

stuartmcnair
03-14-2008, 11:10 AM
$4.32 for regular at the Shell station by my house. $4.62 for Premium.
But, down the street at the Arco I can get regular for $3.65 per gallon!
I think I'll take a road trip this weekend! :) Rick

Road trip hell...I think I would move...

snork
03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Pres. Bush has a big, really big interest in oil, and maybe copper, brass, Kevlar and VP Cheney (Halliburton)
You do the math.
I wonder if he is friends with CEO Exxon-Mobil, Rex Tillerson
I better stop before someone comes a Knock'n on my door

trunderw
03-14-2008, 04:51 PM
407.9 for diesel here...@15mpg or so

D3skier
03-14-2008, 06:18 PM
these prices are just absolutely insane!!!! the government just needs to regulate this just like they do other utilities where they have to submit to raise prices before they can do it. I'm sure with the way gas prices are going I've just lost 1/4th of my ski trips for this summer already

JohnE
03-14-2008, 06:45 PM
They screw you at the drive thru


...Lethal Weapon 3 on TBS?:D Love the original line.

KelBCx9
03-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Try 1.22 per litre in Canada = $5.56 US gallon.OUCH!!! My 1 ton has been sitting alot,driving my 4cyl jeep and Toyota Yaris lots. Only need truck to move X9

erkoehler
03-15-2008, 12:49 AM
I thought the economy was going to slow the boat business down, but we have been fighting through that......Now, with gas prices out of hand, I am getting a bit worried! Hopefully we'll still have a good summer :)

Maristar210
03-15-2008, 09:34 AM
...Lethal Weapon 3 on TBS?:D Love the original line.


Yup
You got it.....

TMCNo1
03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
We can fight a billion $ a day war overeas, but can't fix our roads without a gas tax increase, BS!

TMCNo1
03-15-2008, 09:59 AM
They screw you at the drive thru


That's why I want to open up a Massage Parlor with a Drive-Thru window!:rolleyes:

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Saw diesel at $4.09 last night! :eek:
I swear it was the same day we bought our diesel that it went higher price than gas.:(

Ric
03-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Shouldn't be. Here in America we have our own oil reserves and can dictate the price of gas. Time the government steps in and puts a handle on the gas and oil co. making a huge profit on Americans.
Lets open the reserves and stop using foreign oils.
Where do the inflation stop? With you and me.
Maybe our beloved Pres. has way too much interest in this market.
I vote for a candidate that doesn't have any interest on marketable products ( fuel, medical, insurance, steel etc.) F'n profiteers.:mad: you're a funny guy snork:D

Ric
03-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I thought the economy was going to slow the boat business down, but we have been fighting through that......Now, with gas prices out of hand, I am getting a bit worried! Hopefully we'll still have a good summer :) Isn't there a John Horton quote regarding MC's target market and the small affect gas prices have in the MC boat buyer's buying habits?

snork
03-15-2008, 01:46 PM
you're a funny guy snork:D

I'm not trying to be funny:shocked:
We have a serious problem that getting way out of hand.
If this trend continues there will be a real economic downward problem.
Not only inflation and recession but there will be no middle ground of income. A large gap will exist between the wealthy and the poor.
No more families with middle income. Trust me, if your not at the top income bracket at this time, probably less than 3% of the population, you stand the chance to loose the most and will be taking it up the A$$. I don't want to be one of the 97%
It's time the American people put an economist in the office, I personally can't think of one, and turn this economy around so there is more balance among the incomes.
Take control of Iraq, make the oil field property UNITED NATIONS, I think All who partakes in the effort deserve it, bring the troops home and fight this WAR on INFLATION. :woohoo:

sdesmond
03-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm not trying to be funny:shocked:
We have a serious problem that getting way out of hand.
If this trend continues there will be a real economic downward problem.
Not only inflation and recession but there will be no middle ground of income. A large gap will exist between the wealthy and the poor.
No more families with middle income. Trust me, if your not at the top income bracket at this time, probably less than 3% of the population, you stand the chance to loose the most and will be taking it up the A$$. I don't want to be one of the 97%
It's time the American people put an economist in the office, I personally can't think of one, and turn this economy around so there is more balance among the incomes.
Take control of Iraq, make the oil field property UNITED NATIONS, I think All who partakes in the effort deserve it, bring the troops home and fight this WAR on INFLATION. :woohoo:

I honestly dont think they care. What is being done to help us out? Nothing. Next thing we know they will be putting taxes on tax.

2nd Anglico
03-15-2008, 03:11 PM
diesel in fort wayne indiana $ 4.19 thats about $ 125.00 per fill up.

Maristar210
03-15-2008, 03:32 PM
SHould make for less traffic heading up north on a Friday night...