PDA

View Full Version : HydroHoist Leak

SDAhockey21
03-14-2008, 02:27 AM
So last summer we discovered a leak in our 17 year old HydroHoist Lift. The front right band that holds the pontoon to the lift broke because of rust. This allowed something to get under the upper band when we rose the lift again and punctured a tiny hole.... The main Problem is that hole only leaks under pressure (with boat), and its under the band which must be on to raise the boat... I have not been able to visibly locate the leak. So the the solution I see would be to smear that whole general area with some sort of epoxy... But this general area includes an area under water. There is no real easy way to remove the lift or pontoon so.... IDEAS!

SDAhockey21
03-14-2008, 02:29 AM
I will get pictures soon

2RLAKE
03-14-2008, 08:18 AM
the tubes are just fiberglass so you could remove the leaking one and patch it with a fiberglass repair kit from autozone ... better yet would be to call hydohoist and ask them. good luck

dpolen
03-14-2008, 08:37 AM
17 years old...I'm going to go on a limb and say that you've probably got your money's worth out of this one...might be time to upgrade?

I'd call your HydroHoist dealer, I'm sure they deal with this issue all the time...they could probably have that fixed in less than an hour.

stuartmcnair
03-14-2008, 10:33 AM
17 years old...I'm going to go on a limb and say that you've probably got your money's worth out of this one...might be time to upgrade?

I'd call your HydroHoist dealer, I'm sure they deal with this issue all the time...they could probably have that fixed in less than an hour.

I'll second that. At least the one around here would. They stand behind their product.

Sodar
03-14-2008, 11:10 AM
So last summer we discovered a leak in our 17 year old HydroHoist Lift. The front right band that holds the pontoon to the lift broke because of rust. This allowed something to get under the upper band when we rose the lift again and punctured a tiny hole.... The main Problem is that hole only leaks under pressure (with boat), and its under the band which must be on to raise the boat... I have not been able to visibly locate the leak. So the the solution I see would be to smear that whole general area with some sort of epoxy... But this general area includes an area under water. There is no real easy way to remove the lift or pontoon so.... IDEAS!

We had this happen to our old HH for our 35' center console. The center tube that helped float the weight of the outboards was punctured (BIG). We called HH and they asked us to pull the HH over to the closest launch ramp or beach and had a new pontoon under it in just a few hours. Call your HH dealer, rusted bands are a known problem and easily replaced. You can get everything replaced from the waterline down for about $1500.... I think the center float for our HH, which was probably as long as your main floats was $800... that was about 5 years ago.

If you do end up upgrading to a new HH, you can probably get about $2k outta yours. The new HH are totally sweet too, as the bands no longer wrap around the whole float, but just on top, so rust and electrolosis is no longer an issue. Plus, the floats are no longer fiberglass (unless you get a big boy), but spun poly, so punctures can be heat welded.

ridesdirt
03-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I am not sure, but the current HydroHoist tanks are high density polyethelene (HDPE). If yours are HDPE it is repairable. For lack of a better term I'll call it a "plastic welder".

I understand HydroHoist stands behind their product very well, I would call them.

Diesel
03-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I am not sure, but the current HydroHoist tanks are high density polyethelene (HDPE). If yours are HDPE it is repairable. For lack of a better term I'll call it a "plastic welder".

I understand HydroHoist stands behind their product very well, I would call them.

But in his first post he said it was 17 years old so is most definitely has fiberglass tanks. Any epoxy or fiberglass repair kit should work. You can find stuff that will set up underwater. The tanks are not under great pressure so it really does not have to be that strong just air tight.

ridesdirt
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
But in his first post he said it was 17 years old so is most definitely has fiberglass tanks. Any epoxy or fiberglass repair kit should work. You can find stuff that will set up underwater. The tanks are not under great pressure so it really does not have to be that strong just air tight.

Thus my first words: "I am not sure".

I sell HDPE storm drain pipe and it has been around since the early 70's. It may or may not have been used in boat lifts since then, I don't know. I own a HydroHoist lift and mine is HDPE.

But I do agree with you, should be a fairly easy fix.

LKNMC
03-14-2008, 12:43 PM

You beat me to it

SDAhockey21
03-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Hey sorry guys, I lost track of this post. Yes we have defiantly got our use out of this lift. But don't really want to dump more cash if we don't have to.

It would be nice to upgrade, but we already replaced all four vertical rods and have already purchased 4 new bands which I plan on Installing next week. But the main issue is fixing the tank.

My plan right now is to remove the tank from the lift system, pull it over to shore and cover that entire area with some sort of substance.

So what should I use to seal her up?

Also has anyone had any experience with lift readjustment to a different boat? And those of you who have upgraded, besides no underwater equipment that can rust, what else is better?

dpolen
03-24-2008, 05:32 PM
A long time ago, my parents had a hydrohoist with fiberglass tanks. Someone I know (aka me), decided to drop a SeaDoo off the lift because I was young, dumb, and impatient. SeaDoo put a hole in the top of the tank. My dad patched it up with fiberglass patch kit...wasn't sexy, but it worked for many years to come after that. If your leak is underwater, maybe you can pull it out of the water and apply a patch...then reinstall after its dry.