PDA

View Full Version : Greers Ferry - Water up

KBryant2007
03-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I was up checking on my dock last weekend on Greers Ferry and noticed the lake was up at least 6 feet, maybe more. Drove down to the Heber Springs Rec camp site and the launching ramp was closed b/c the water was over the road. Not sure what's going to happen when the spring rains start. Has anyone been up there lately?

Hrkdrivr
03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
You're breaking my heart, K, that was our favorite lake when we lived in AR. It's where we had our first boat...now we're in NC and the lakes are nowhere near as deep or clean as in AR...enjoy!!!

KBryant2007
03-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Will do. This will be the second summer I've had my MC on the lake. We've really enjoyed the lake. Come back and see us sometime.

KBryant2007
03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Lake rose 12 feet last week as a result of the run-off and heavy rains we've had in Arkansas recently. Greers Ferry empties into the Little Red River, then to the White, and then to the Mississippi. The rivers are at flood stage and they're holding the water in Greers Ferry. All marinas are flooded. Here's a picture of Eden Isle.

Memphis Mastercraft
04-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I am heading up to greers ferry tom, to un winterize my mastercraft. I talked to my mechanic and he said it is the highest he has ever seen.

KBryant2007
04-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I was up there yesterday to do some work on my lakehouse and drove by the Eden Isle marina. The water is even higher now. A lady said it is the highest it's been since 1973. How did you get out to your dock Memphis Mastercraft?

Memphis Mastercraft
04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
The floating dock is almost up in the trees, we had a 8ft 2x8 up to the ramp itself, it was like walking the plank. I have never seen the lake so high and dirty with all kind of trash and logs in it.

KBryant2007
04-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I did read today that the lake was 483 FT in 1973. Today it is at 480 FT. However, it's raining here in Central Arkansas and we're expecting more storms tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. They said they have the right to take it up to 487 FT which is the white line, and flood all the way up to 491 which is the red line. Hopefully, over the next week the White river will crest and they can begin some scheduled releases to get it down to a more manageable level. 467 - 470FT I believe is where it generally should be.

KBryant2007
05-01-2008, 11:10 PM
The lake is just beginning to fall. It fell 1 FT today. Of course it has over 24 feet to go. The Corps of Engineers projected that the lake will not return to normal levels until early August. As of now all ramps to the lake are closed. It's not looking to great for Memorial Day and the start of the summer boating season. My marina is completely underwater.

Scott
05-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Well, bad news.. I am up at Greers and I've never seen it this high. We have been boating up here since 1999. I have friends that live up here that said its higher this year than the record flood in 1973. I am not even sure if we will putting in on memorial weekend,(yeah right) we will be there..In the past they have not charged to launch as late as July 4th weekend..

KBryant2007
05-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes, it's kind of depressing. I've been up there every week for the last few months, and the water rose quickly during heavy rains we had in April. Some have said the lake rose as much as 12 ft in one day. One thing is for sure they are not letting any water out. It's been at 485 ft pretty consisently over the past 6 weeks. I've read that the lake won't return to normal until late summer. Of course I have seen boaters out, but all ramps are closed, or at least were last weekend. Not sure what I'm going to do about putting my boat in. I just purchased a new lift, but have been unable to get out to my marina due to the road being underwater.

Scott
05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Hill Creek is open. It makes no sense to risk leaving the water up and it affecting summer on the lake since thats how everyone makes money. But common sense and government normally don't go together anyway. What marina are you at?

KBryant2007
05-14-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm at Eden Isle Marina. Yes, I'm sure a lot of businesses that rely on the summer tourists are beginning to get worried. If I had a business there I would begin putting some serious pressure on my congressional delegation. Every public launch on this end of the lake is closed. Not sure what's going to be the plan for Memorial Day. My boat is not currently up there. I'm planning on taking it to Lake Quachita Saturday for our first outing of the summer.

magnum
05-14-2008, 09:44 PM
I talked to the Dam Site Marina on Tues this week and they said they just opened their launching ramp this past weekend.The water is all the way up in the way up in the parking lot so I am sure going to mass confusion on memorial day w/e

Scott
05-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Nice..:D I guess memorial weekend is going to be slow..

KBryant2007
05-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Just got back from Heber Springs today. Lake is still high, but it appears to be dropping slowly (real slow). However, there were quite a few boats on the lake. DamSite park launch is open, or at least the one by the marina. Unsure about underwater obstacles since they're not marked by buoys. Also, the water is still dirty with some debris floating. Not sure what my plans will be for Memorial Day. Should I take the boat out or not?

Scott
05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I came back from greers this morning. took boat out yesterday and the biggest problems i see is the potential parking issues at the ramps?? and getting under the bridges. we went under the edgemont bridge and had about 6 inches to spare.. thats with the mini-tower.. this weekend could be fun to watch..everyone getting liquored up and trying to make it..:D

RK@UST
05-19-2008, 03:31 PM
don't know what kind of boat , but heard this weekend a guy sunk a brand new boat on Greers.
Hit a picnic table.

Scott
05-22-2008, 01:28 PM
That outta do it..They don't give much..:rolleyes:

KBryant2007
05-22-2008, 10:42 PM
If anyone's out on Greers Ferry this weekend near Damsite look for a Red 2006 X-Star, and a black and yellow Prostar 209. We'll be out most of the day on Saturday and Sunday. Who think's my Prostar MCX 350 can beat the X-Star 450 8.1L on the hole shot? Any takers?

Scott
05-23-2008, 07:32 AM
I think you could take him. If you are out wasting all that gas and get over past the narrows, give us a call. We would like to meet who weve been talking to all this time. 501-351-7901.:D

KBryant2007
05-26-2008, 09:04 PM
We never got that far up the lake. We'll have to catch up with you later this summer. We had to launch at DamSite marina. I'll be glad when I can get my boat on my lift at Eden Isle. (much easier, as the launching area was packed) We were out Saturday, Sunday, and today. Lots of boats out from the Damsite up to Heber Springs Rec which is where we spent most of our time. Lake doesn't look that bad, actually it looks really good. If you didn't know it was 20+ feet above normal it would be hard to tell. Catch you later this summer.

Scott
06-02-2008, 04:01 PM
we go to the narrows some but unless were just riding, we don't go that far. maybe be riding on sunday 6-8. call if yall r up and we can just meet up for a few.

see ya,
scott

bradleyadair
06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Just wondering what the latest is on the water level and trash/ dirty water is on greers ferry lake?

Scott
06-19-2008, 10:13 AM
starting to clear up. it has warmed up and the water is still high but daown several feet from the highest point.

bradleyadair
06-20-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks Scott. One more question. Are the cliffs by the higden bridge still underwater or have they started to peak out yet? Coming up for July 4th and just curious about it all.

magnum
06-20-2008, 04:39 PM
I just checked and the lake is at 477.50 ft Normal is 461.00 It is dropping about 3 to 4" a day for the last week or so so it is beginning to start coming down fairly quick , We are going to be up there for the week of the 4th , hope it continues to drop and more launching ramps open up

Scott
06-24-2008, 08:14 PM
cliffs are still under water. The lake is on the way down. but no cliffs by the 4th of july.:cool: