PDA

View Full Version : falken tires

ttu
03-13-2008, 10:21 PM
does anyone have any experience with falken tires. reason why, i have a 07 tahoe that has gone thru goodyear eagle 2's (crap), yokohama geolanders (decent) and none have last. to date 39000 miles. and yes i rotate and balance every 6K miles. the falken's are about 1/3 the cost.

tires in question are 275/55/20's.

only looking on keeping the tahoe till december of 08 and probably getting a new sequoia.

thanks for your input

ttu
03-13-2008, 10:23 PM
oops, first double post

KBryant2007
03-13-2008, 10:38 PM
oops, first double post

I don't have any experience with Falken tires, but just put a new set of Bridgestones on my 4x4 Sequoia. They were the lower priced then the Michelin & Goodyears I priced. I paid $143/tire for 275/70/17

H20BOY
03-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Michelin LTX M/S is the only way to go. You will be well pleased with the mileage and ride.

KBryant2007
03-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I priced a set of Michelin's at Sam's and the price was over $900/set. I've heard they're considered the best. The tires that came with my Sequoia were Dunlop. While I didn't have any trouble with them, they weren't great. I have a Toyota Tundra I just bought and the previous owner just bought a set of Goodyear Wranglers.

milkmania
03-13-2008, 11:49 PM
3 sets of michelins on 3 suburbans....

won't use anything else

wife's truck LTX A/T over 50,000 miles (top pic)

mine XC LT4 47,206 miles (bottom 2 pics)

everything's dirty....... rain/sleet/snow weather lately

Gonzo
03-13-2008, 11:53 PM
believe it or not, I bought some Coopers and have been very impressed. we dont take care of them like they should and they still wear evenly... Price was right too, I got a set here locally for under 500

lanier92prostar
03-13-2008, 11:55 PM
On my present truck I am on the 3rd set of tires in 3 years. The first were Bridgestone: 20K, the second were Yokohama Geolanders: crap and I finally put Michelins on it and I think they might last over 20K. Next time I will again spend the money on Michelins. I have not tried the Falkens, but my neighbor likes Cooper Tires on his Dodge 1500. So far with my luck with tires, I am now under the assumption that you get what you pay for.

JKTX21
03-13-2008, 11:55 PM
The Goodyear Eagle is crap on heavy vehicles. I've seen best results from the Dunlop and Bridgestone as truck tires. The Mich LTX is a great tire, but can chop on the outer edges depending upon how your truck wears them and how often you balance (static balance that is... up and down and side to side!)

milkmania
03-14-2008, 12:16 AM
54 posts relating to this topic......fwiw

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/search.php?searchid=1043111

jwroblew
03-14-2008, 12:38 AM
A better solution than new tires would be to buy a good Ford vehicle...

TMCNo1
03-14-2008, 05:57 AM
3 sets of michelins on 3 suburbans....

won't use anything else

wife's truck LTX A/T over 50,000 miles (top pic)

mine XC LT4 47,206 miles (bottom 2 pics)

everything's dirty....... rain/sleet/snow weather lately

Do you need me to send you some tire cleaner and dressing?:rolleyes:
And get them rocks outta them tires before you bust my windshield! Just Having fun!

T Scott
03-14-2008, 08:02 AM
only looking on keeping the tahoe till december of 08 and probably getting a new sequoia.

thanks for your input

I think anything you put on there should last you for the next 9 months until you trade it in/sell it. If I were you, I'd go cheap here because you won't get your money back out of them when you get rid of the truck.

Maristar210
03-14-2008, 08:22 AM
TTU

Mastercraft tire is what I say. When I needed new tires one year before I was going to get rid of my truck I bought Mastercraft tires and could not have been happier. Cheap - Safe - Quiet -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/mastercrafttire.jpg

BrianM
03-14-2008, 08:31 AM
does anyone have any experience with falken tires. reason why, i have a 07 tahoe that has gone thru goodyear eagle 2's (crap), yokohama geolanders (decent) and none have last. to date 39000 miles. and yes i rotate and balance every 6K miles. the falken's are about 1/3 the cost.

tires in question are 275/55/20's.

thanks for your input
Man, two sets of tires in 39k. You either have some sort of suspension issue that is eating those tires up or you are seriously hard on tires. I have heard pretty good things about some of the Falkens but have no personal experience.

I have a set of the Bridgestone Deuler H/L Alenzas that came stock on my Avy with the factory 20s and have been extremely happy with them. They ride great and seem to have very good performance both wet and dry. 32k miles and they still look like new.

Maristar210
03-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Man, two sets of tires in 39k. You either have some sort of suspension issue that is eating those tires up or you are seriously hard on tires. I have heard pretty good things about some of the Falkens but have no personal experience.

I have a set of the Bridgestone Deuler H/L Alenzas that came stock on my Avy with the factory 20s and have been extremely happy with them. They ride great and seem to have very good performance both wet and dry. 32k miles and they still look like new.

Yeah but that's because they don't have the added weight of that Chevy badge on the tailgate 8p ;) :D

BrianM
03-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah but that's because they don't have the added weight of that Chevy badge on the tailgate :D :purplaugh.................:uglyhamme .......................:purplaugh

ttu
03-14-2008, 08:55 AM

brian, the first one's goodyear eagle II just flat out sucked. they had a lot of tread left, just were horrible on wet conditions. the geolanders have "some" decent tread left, but not for a whole lot longer.

trust me, i baby my vehicles, just like my mastercraft.

BrianM
03-14-2008, 09:20 AM
brian, the first one's goodyear eagle II just flat out sucked.
I have heard that about the Eagle IIs on these trucks. Fortunately for me GM put the Bridgestones on my 20s.

ShamrockIV
03-14-2008, 09:25 AM
most all goodyears are crap. they are too soft and wear out way too quickly. i have a hookup with firestone/bridgestone and i have been really pleased with them. but michelins, coopers, etc are mostly good tires, but like all tires it depends on how u treat and maintain them!

p.s. stay with a yukon or tahoe!!

pilot02
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
39k on 2 sets of tires is crazy... Something wrong with that truck??

I've got 255k on my F-150 supercab and replace tires every 40-50k. Best tires I've had on it by far were the Michelin LTX/AT's. Worst, the current BFG Land Terrain's on it... First set was replaced at 7k due to out of round problems and as a precaution, I replaced the shocks all the way around and had it aligned and the current set is starting to do the same thing. But, with the mileage on the vehicle and the limited use it sees nowadays I couldn't justify putting great tires on it...

ttu
03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
pilot, first set of goodyear, i took off at 6K because they sucked. geolanders have some tread just not a bunch.

the wear has been even on those.

stuartmcnair
03-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Back to his original question. I have the Falken's on my Z71. Love them. I first started using Falken's on my Mustang and have loved them ever since. Good grip and they last a long time. They are also quieter than the other tires I have had on that truck.

One of my friends owns the Goodyear tire centers here and he got me to put the Falkens on the truck over the Wranglers that I had been using he liked them so much.

milkmania
03-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I think anything you put on there should last you for the next 9 months until you trade it in/sell it. If I were you, I'd go cheap here because you won't get your money back out of them when you get rid of the truck.

VERY GOOD POINT!

if you're turning the truck, go cheap
if you're going to keep the truck, do it right
tires will not increase the value if you trade it it..... just don't want to go for trade evaluation with bald tires:rolleyes:

:twocents:

milkmania
03-14-2008, 12:41 PM
And get them rocks outta them tires before you bust my windshield! Just Having fun!

I am proud to say that with over 50,000 miles.......
my tires can still pick up rocks!

8p

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
BFG makes the best light truck tire out there IMO... All-Terrain TA KOs will do it... but if you're trading it in in December then I'd put whatever you could stand to listen to and ride on until then

ttu
03-14-2008, 12:56 PM
auburn, good point.

one thing i hate about running those big 20's - $$$$$

6ballsisall
03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Dang! 2 sets of tires in 39k miles? Are you doing burnouts every block or keeping them underinflated/overinflated? If not, something is definetely wrong. I'd look at the alignment first off.

milkmania
03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Dang! 2 sets of tires in 39k miles? Are you doing burnouts every block or keeping them underinflated/overinflated? If not, something is definetely wrong. I'd look at the alignment first off.

true DAT!

the limo wore the passenger side outside edge off of the front tire in 6000 miles.
not very happy bout that, gotta have a special lift that will lift the length of a 21' wheelbase.
had to take it to a large truck shop, they set their own prices!:mad:
fortunately, the front end was tight! no parts needed
got out of there for $79.95 plus tax

ttu
03-15-2008, 03:56 PM
went in and had the alignment looked at and everything checked out. geolanders had 4/32 tread left.

one of the main reason for looking at tires was taking the kidos to colorado on monday and wanted to make sure we would be safe.

long story short, went with the falken tires. $680.00 out the door. 50,000 mile warranty.

just got back from driving 60 miles round trip for son's aau basketball game and smooth as can be..:D

sorry for the rims being dirty. hopefully the sun will pop out soon:cool:

stuartmcnair
03-15-2008, 09:52 PM
those are the ones I have...different size though...I think you will be happy with them

Jerseydave
03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
What's the treadwear rating on those tires? That's a good indication of tire compound. Usually 20" tires and larger are made for handling, not long mileage. Even car mfg. will warn you that you may only get 20-25K miles from a set of tires (Benz, BMW, etc.)

With that said, you did the right thing by not buying really expensive tires. 50K miles out of those on a truck, I seriously doubt it.

atlfootr
03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Now, if these falken tires are anything like the Falken Islands their crap .... :rolleyes:

ttu
04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
update.

put a little over 3000 miles on the new tires and they are very nice.

very little road noise, handles great on dry, wet and snow. (1800 miles to and from winter park co.)

impressed so far especially for the price.:D

would recommend them.