PDA

View Full Version : 52" LCD TV's

SteveO
03-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Okay, I am looking to join the rest of the world and get a new flat panel TV. Has anyone recently bought a 52-65"? What is the best buy at this time? Why LCD over Plasma?

Sorry Tex. I know DLP rocks, but I'm not overly impressed with the rear projection picture from an off angle.

stuartmcnair
03-13-2008, 10:39 PM
two that I have recently bought...

Sharp Aquos 52" if you don't worry about money

Samsung 52" if you want to spend a little less.

I have done several houses and offices with these and they are performing very well. They look nice as well whether they are on the wall, on a stand or in a built in unit.

flipper
03-13-2008, 10:56 PM
The best one for the money that I found was a Sharp from Costco. It has numbers as far as reaction time and other things that come close to the really expensive ones. From Costco they also go above and beyond the warranty from Sharp. One thing to look at, during fast motion, especially in the background, does it blur? Mine will not, but most that you find for a decent price will, and it was the same price of some cheaper brands/models, with the expensive picture.

I prefer LCD over plasma and DLP because you get a really good picture, you can see from off angles, and the pic will not fade or blur over time. A plasma will no matter who says what. The first year, a plasma will have a little better picture, and better reaction time, but will not hold that for nearly as long as a plasma.

Hrkdrivr
03-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Sharp Aquos from Sam's club...have had it for about 9 mos and have loved it. No problems and a great picture, even in a brightly-lit room. Of course, since I bought it they've come down $400 - $500.

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Mitsubishi lcd's are fantastic, but come with a price. Sharp aquos would be my next choice, not a fan of anything samurisung does.

fintek9
03-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Sony KDL 52 Bravia LCD here, Did not like the plasma, side by side no comparison, LCD all the way.

STLer645
03-14-2008, 12:36 AM
I rock a 50" Pioneer plasma, but my pops has a 52" 1080p Aquas. It is heaven and kicks the crap out of my 5 year old 1080i plasma. The piano black framing is very nice as well.

With LCDs I think you really get what you pay for, if you watch fast moving images. When you upgrade to the pricer models you generally get a much better response rate. You will notice the difference - no trailing shadows of any kind.

jsnipes
03-14-2008, 12:42 AM
I went with a 52" Sony Bravia KDL52XBR5 ... not the cheapest, but the best in my opinion. My wife and I spend our fair share of time in front of the TV so I don't mind splurging on it. It is simply awesome.

Their other less expensive versions look good too ... the XBR4 and XBR5 are the ones with 120HZ though. Samsung also makes several models with very good picture quality ... I chose the Sony over Samsung just because I've always had good luck with Sony's.

Be sure to compare color and contrast on whatever you buy. There are significant differences between brands and price ranges for these. Contrast numbers can be misleading so pay attention to the details of how each company expresses it. Color is up to your own eyes. The 120 Hz refresh rate is good to get if you can get one within your budget, although a lot of devices do not output at this rate at present. You're future proofing (if there is such a thing) with it. Pay attention to the number and types of inputs that the TV has vs what devices you will be using.

Good luck ... let us know what you end up with.

JS

jsnipes
03-14-2008, 12:43 AM
sorry ... double post.

Bruce
03-14-2008, 12:59 AM
March issue of Consumer Report has a complete section covering all of the sets. First of I would suggest you would prefer LCD once you read all the comparisons. FYI 52 inch and larger they rate the top ten. For this kind of money I would pick up Consumer Reports are get it at your library.

russlars
03-14-2008, 02:31 AM
I have the 52" Samsung LCD. Bought it in December at Best Buy for around $2,000. I have been very pleased with it. It has a very bright picture (no need for any additional lighting in the room while watching it) and the picture is fantastic, especially in HD!:D

2RLAKE
03-14-2008, 08:16 AM
i also bought the sharps 50" at costco 2 years again ... no complaints and a great picture. I have not been overly impressed with a Visio 42" LCD from costco

T Scott
03-14-2008, 08:31 AM
I have a 52" Toshiba Plasma and have been very happy with it.

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 10:32 AM
if you want the best you have to go w/ a pioneer or sony high end stuff... i've got a 60" sony and it destroys all others... if you're looking for value you could go w/ a samsung, vizio (sony's "off" brand), or sharp aquos... my two cents worth... i shopped and shopped and am still shopping for one for my bed room

Maristar210
03-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I just bought a 47" Phillips LCD from Costco for $1499.

I went for a giant box of mac and cheese and walked out with a TV.

What a country !!!!!

I mean really $1499 ???

Great picture and *** slamming price !!!!!

prostar205
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
I just bought a 46" and 52" LCD. We went with the Sharp Aquos, model 82s. The 82 and 92 models are the only ones that have a very fast response time (<4ms), they also have the 120Hz Frame Rate conversion. This feature gives you the non-blur during sports games. The difference between the 82 and 92 is the 82 has a 4-wavelength backlight and the 92 has a 5-wavelength backlight. That means the 92 series has an extra red (red, red, green, green, blue) while the 82 series has a backlight that emits red, green, green, blue). The 92 series also has a DVI-I Audio Input and an RS-232 terminal. The DVI is really not used anymore with the advent of HDMI and the RS-232 is only needed if you are going to run your computer thru the TV and use it as a monitor.

Save the money and get the 82 series. Unfortunately, they do not sell the 82 or 92 series at Costco of Sams Club.

kycat2007
03-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Stay away from cheap models as my parents bought a Poloaroid sp? and had it or a year nad it has gone out already. Circuit City has stopped selling it for that matter and they are fighting even with the extended warranty.

I have heard good about Mitsibushi and Sony.

KelBCx9
03-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I bought a Samsung 52" LCD- LN-T5271 it is 1080P and 120Htz. I chose it over the XBR that was the same price

justinglow
03-14-2008, 02:06 PM
I just purchased a 42" Samsung Plasma last weekend at Best Buy. Love the picture so far. To be honest I can't tell a difference between LCD and Plasma. I'm sure there is but to the average person like me I can't tell.

SteveO
03-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I just bought a 46" and 52" LCD. We went with the Sharp Aquos, model 82s. The 82 and 92 models are the only ones that have a very fast response time (<4ms), they also have the 120Hz Frame Rate conversion. This feature gives you the non-blur during sports games. The difference between the 82 and 92 is the 82 has a 4-wavelength backlight and the 92 has a 5-wavelength backlight. That means the 92 series has an extra red (red, red, green, green, blue) while the 82 series has a backlight that emits red, green, green, blue). The 92 series also has a DVI-I Audio Input and an RS-232 terminal. The DVI is really not used anymore with the advent of HDMI and the RS-232 is only needed if you are going to run your computer thru the TV and use it as a monitor.

Save the money and get the 82 series. Unfortunately, they do not sell the 82 or 92 series at Costco of Sams Club.

Thanks for all the reply's. The sharp site, it show the 4ms rate in fine motion mode. Did you look at the 62 series at all? http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelDetailedSpecs/0,1161,1744-,00.html

TX.X-30 fan
03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Mitsubishi diamond series, You can go to av forum and see tons of posts about their lcd's. The picture is amazing once I tweeked all the settings.

prostar205
03-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. The sharp site, it show the 4ms rate in fine motion mode. Did you look at the 62 series at all? http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelDetailedSpecs/0,1161,1744-,00.html

SteveO -

Most, if not all of the Sharp Aquos, have the 4 ms response time. However, most of those come with the 60Hz Frame Rate Conversion. Only the 82 and 92 series have the 120Hz Frame Rate Conversion.

brat
03-14-2008, 07:21 PM
March issue of Consumer Report has a complete section covering all of the sets. First of I would suggest you would prefer LCD once you read all the comparisons. FYI 52 inch and larger they rate the top ten. For this kind of money I would pick up Consumer Reports are get it at your library.

Consumer Reports is nothing more than toilet paper, they are obviously compensated. I subscribed for a year once and their reviews are a joke.

georgea0731
03-14-2008, 11:24 PM
It's suppose to be a combination of sources and its free. Good luck. We got a Sharp smaller version 42, 18 months ago and love it. Recently had comcast tech support here; he recommend Sony, but said Samsung was just slightly less in performance, but several hundred less. BTW my wife is now watching several shows online and if the trend continues with more & more previous shows available online, we may look at hooking up a laptop to see them?