PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon - No Fire??????

Maristar210
03-13-2008, 07:33 PM
You guys know I re-did the pontoon this winter. Finally got it all back together and decided to bump it over in the garage. No fire, no crank, no nothing.

Here is what I know so far:

1977 Johnson 25hp Old but runs like a top - or did?

All ignition wires are hooked up as before

Spark plug is in and on tight

Battery is fully charged

Coil fuse is good and well seated

Neutral safety switch looks fully engaged

I am pretty sure about those five things and again no click, no crank, completely dead key ????:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Thanks in advance and yes I know this is not an MC but it'll be parked next to it so does that count????

Steve

erkoehler
03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
We sell outboards :)

Sorry, that is about as much help as I am on outboards :(

cbryan70
03-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Talked to the service manager. There is a fuse that relates to cranking as well as starting it is on the back left or right side of the motor under the motor cover. It is in a black fuse holder with two wires running to it. It is a glass fuse. Check that. Thatrs all i got

Maristar210
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Talked to the service manager. There is a fuse that relates to cranking as well as starting it is on the back left or right side of the motor under the motor cover. It is in a black fuse holder with two wires running to it. It is a glass fuse. Check that. Thatrs all i got

THANKS BUD

That fuse is good as I inspect it:(

cbryan70
03-13-2008, 08:00 PM
can you pull start it, man this thing is SLOW

pkreusch
03-13-2008, 08:01 PM
From what you're describing, it sounds like there may be a solenoid sticking or something of that nature. Start by making sure there is power coming from the starter lead at your ignition switch when you turn the key. You can use a test light for this. Cheap at a local auto parts store. Then make sure there's power at the solenoid terminal from that same wire. If so, make sure it's properly grounded against the engine. You should hear at least a click from the solenoid if not the sarter turning over. Continue from there in the same fashion checking the battery wiring for corrosion etc. "No click no crank" tells me "no power".

P...........

Maristar210
03-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys,

My meter is hot on both sides of everything I check. The flywheel spins by hand....

Keep em coming and THANKS !!!

André
03-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Bad ground?
Is there an electical plug coming from the controls? Is it fully push in?
Corroded connectors in same plug?:confused:

Edit:Have yo tried jumping the solenoid?

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Bad ground?
Edit:Have yo tried jumping the solenoid?

I like this advice. :confused:

Well except for the urban YO!! :D

stuartmcnair
03-13-2008, 09:36 PM
is it in gear?

milkmania
03-13-2008, 09:36 PM
it can't be fixed......
I'l give you $199.95 for it

I'll come get it for that price:cool:

gotta throw this out there.....
kill switch???
bypass the kill switch?
have you tested the neutral switch on the throttle?
not sure of your controls, but you may be able to move the throttle while cranking

sdesmond
03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Maybe something wrong with the ignition. I dont know how it works where you put your key in at. Maybe you can test that. Something not making contact when you turn the key to engage the starter.

flipper
03-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I would start at the starter and work back....

Does it get power...put power directly to it

is the solenoid getting power on the starter side

on the other side

jump the solenoid

are there other relays?

are you absolutely sure the wires are hooked up in the right places?

Did you test the ignition switch?

When you say no click, no crank, I assume the solenoid isn't A) working B) not wired right or C) Ignition switch isn't good. Try jumping it directly and see what happens.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Hook up the battery retard.

fintek9
03-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Did Baxter P*ss on it when you where getting another beer?

Go back and check what you unhooked ( if you did!) and rehooked back up to that new steering column.
Wire tester boy! wire testers.

Can't find my manual on this one!:D

lanier92prostar
03-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Are you getting gas to the carb? We had an outboard once and the prime bulb went bad on the gas cans. Other than that, I have nothing that hasn't already been mentioned.
Reread the post, sorry this advice doesn't apply here. Can you pull start it? I know you said the flywheel will turn, but have you tried to start it by the flywheel yet. Man, I know nothing about outboards other than most bass boats have one.

88 PS190
03-13-2008, 11:37 PM
hot wire the thing, see if it fires.

ULMboarder
03-14-2008, 02:36 AM
If the starter isnt tryin to turn, its a problem in front of that. Make sure the kill switch is on and its in neutral before hand or you will feel like a idiot after you tear it apart for nuthin.

1.Make sure you have a good connection to the battery. just because the terminals are touching does not mean you have contact. the post can carode(spelling?) and not allow contact.

2. It could be the ignition switch. make sure there is power to it and from it with a test light.

3. make sure there is power goin to the starter silinoid(spelling?) and/or starter. its gonna be from the starter forward if it wont turn the starter.

sounds to me like its the silinoid or starter. on older engines thats what goes first. you rarely hear about a starter switch goin bad cause usually the clips on the switch get dirty or carroded and just need brushing like the battery post.

JimN
03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
What motor is on it? Most have a large plug for the harness to connect to the boat and everything goes through this. If it's not plugged in fully or isn't indexed correctly, nothing is gonna happen. Do a continuity test from the dash to the back end of the plug and from the boat side of the motor harness to the various wires on the motor. If the battery is connected to the motor, you can use a wire to crank the motor, just by connecting from the solenoid trigger post to the battery positive.

Maristar210
03-14-2008, 09:17 AM
What motor is on it? Most have a large plug for the harness to connect to the boat and everything goes through this. If it's not plugged in fully or isn't indexed correctly, nothing is gonna happen. Do a continuity test from the dash to the back end of the plug and from the boat side of the motor harness to the various wires on the motor. If the battery is connected to the motor, you can use a wire to crank the motor, just by connecting from the solenoid trigger post to the battery positive.

Thanks JimN and everyone. I'll give this a try tonight and we'll see.
Kind of a bummer to get it all back together and then no go :mad:

PS 197? Johnson 25hp that refuses to die until now :rolleyes:

RexDog1
03-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Steve
start from the battery and work your way through the boat don’t trust anything make sure you are getting power all the way to the key and then back to the starter, somewhere you will find the gremlin? fuses can fool you by eye, check them by a hot lead and a meter or just a test light setup, how do you know your starter is good? If you can’t find the gremlin? Do me a favor If you do what someone told you to do,,, hot wire it…… you will get sparks……….. sparks and gas don’t mix ……… be careful and it will only tell you one thing your engine works, and not answer your problem

JimN
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Better to jump it right on the solenoid and measure/check for voltage at the out post. It's possible that the solenoid was mis-wired on reassembly, too. Battery connected to the out post won't crank, even if the trigger from the ignition switch is correct.

boatless
03-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Did you remember to put the safety switch back on ? You know, the switch that attach to the operator incase you fall of the boat would shut off the engine.

JimN
03-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah, 'cuz tooling around a lake on a 'toon with 25 horses will really throw someone out on their azz.

Good point- maybe a wire was yanked during disassembly or reassembly. I don't know the color coed for Johnson- any help?

03-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Hook up the battery retard. it will fire then.

03-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Steve
start from the battery and work your way through the boat don’t trust anything make sure you are getting power all the way to the key and then back to the starter, somewhere you will find the gremlin? fuses can fool you by eye, check them by a hot lead and a meter or just a test light setup, how do you know your starter is good? If you can’t find the gremlin? Do me a favor If you do what someone told you to do,,, hot wire it…… you will get sparks……….. sparks and gas don’t mix ……… be careful and it will only tell you one thing your engine works, and not answer your problem

your mechanical views are almost as twisted as your social/political/ethical views.

RexDog1
03-14-2008, 02:15 PM
your mechanical views are almost as twisted as your social/political/ethical views.

Hahahahhahahah I just spit Diet Coke all over my keyboard

Ump if we mixed your “social/ Political /ethical /Views” with your Mechanical skills it would be a Ford Probe with a rash, and would only turn to the left :rolleyes:

flipper
03-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Hahahahhahahah I just spit Diet Coke all over my keyboard

Ump if we mixed your “social/ Political /ethical /Views” with your Mechanical skills it would be a Ford Probe with a rash, and would only turn to the left :rolleyes:
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

03-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Rexy, Dont hate me because I am beautiful.

RexDog1
03-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Rexy, Dont hate me because I am beautiful.

How can you not love a "beautful" person like this?

BrandonKTM
03-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Double check your gearshift controller. On my pontoon, it sometimes sticks in gear, even though the lever is in the Neutral position. If so, you get what you got, not even a click!

sdesmond
03-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Did you make any progress on getting this resolved?