PDA

View Full Version : 2000 X-Star/205V/X1 side vents

swatguy
03-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Anyone have any idea on what those vents along the windshield are designed to do? Are they very important? Was thinking of maybe filling those in as when it rains even when the boat is covered somehow water seems to leak in there and get the inside storage compartment wet. Figured IF I sealed those off problem solved.

Though I wonder because the current X1 still has them, but mabe it was just not worth changing the mold. Especially when you charge 20+k more than the original boat :mad:

erkoehler
03-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Anyone have any idea on what those vents along the windshield are designed to do? Are they very important? Was thinking of maybe filling those in as when it rains even when the boat is covered somehow water seems to leak in there and get the inside storage compartment wet. Figured IF I sealed those off problem solved.

Though I wonder because the current X1 still has them, but mabe it was just not worth changing the mold. Especially when you charge 20+k more than the original boat :mad:

What's up man? Run out of things to fix this off season?

Don't cover up the vents, you want the airflow in to the storage compartments. The circulation helps prevent mold.

Bring your cover to the shop next time you come or an empty spray bottle and you can try out a new water proofer we have. So far we've had good luck w/ it on the new covers.

east tx skier
03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
If these are the same vents as I'm thinking of, they are connected to the bilge by ducts to provide airflow to the engine.

Rich_G
03-12-2008, 10:52 PM
what ETS said, mine has plastic flexible ducts connected at the top and running to the floor inside the storage compartment. Even if you poured water in the vent, it wouldn't get the comparment wet. There is a channel under the floor all the way back to the engine compartment.

Maybe the duct work is torn or has come loose at one end.

swatguy
03-12-2008, 11:23 PM
ERK,

Yup need some things to do. Getting warmer and I am off work for a little while longer til the knee is fully healed. The cover was just "re-proofed" last year by myself so that is all good, but thanks for the offer, but hey then again can you have too much proofer? :)

The problem I think is where the tower feet in the front are located. The cutouts in the cover are right in the drain path if you ask me. My have to add some extensions to the cover then that go upward like a sleeve similar to the newer style ones to prevent some of that flow. When it rains the water drains off the cover directly to those feet and then runs under the cover to the vent no matter how hard I try to reposition the boat bow up or bow down or level. Those tubes def are in great shape. There is just a spot where the tube connects to the flange directly under the cutout that leaks and drips down the wall. Its ike the flange justy pulled away a bit from the wall and doesn't have a full seal. I guess I will just seal that off with silicone rather than have the hole fiulled in. WAs just thinking of sealing that off as I figured it was just an air flow thing nothing more. With the blowers coming out of the rear transom, that creates enough of a vacuum to get any fumes out of there. But since there has been noone for it..........silicone it is for now:)

fintek9
03-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Ditto on what Rich said, My 01-X has the flex through the floor also, As for the tower cover I took a piece of canvas about 6"X12" and wrap it around the tower where its by the vent to seal it more. I use a strap of Velcro to keep it in place. Works great and keeps rain/leaves and the such out when covered.

conway400
03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Anybody painted them? :)

Have pics?

I have been thinking of doing this because the white just stands out so much from the hull color (if it isn't white).

(The white piece on the rear has the same issue IMO.)

erkoehler
03-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Anybody painted them? :)

Have pics?

I have been thinking of doing this because the white just stands out so much from the hull color (if it isn't white).

(The white piece on the rear has the same issue IMO.)
we have painted them, turned out nice.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-13-2008, 12:08 PM
You can also get waterleaks in the storage compartment from the glove box. It's just an insert that is not sealed. So, if you get caught out in the rain uncovered (or water flows under your windshield frame to the glovebox) watch out.
People, like me, assume it's all sealed and a safe place for amps only to find out water has seaped THRU you amp(s).