PDA

View Full Version : Grounded from team talk?!!

Prostar in Michigain
03-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Ok so all i really do is play hockey play xbox or go on team talk. So my report card gets sent home and my mom retrevied the mail before i did, and my grades were:
World history C
Gym A
Intermidate algebra C
Spanish C-
English C
Biology C

Did i mention to tell you my mom hates Cs. So now i got xbox takin away driving privalliges takin away and she even threatned me to take away team talk!!

I dont know what im gonna do

Mark

bcampbe7
03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Ok so all i really do is play hockey play xbox or go on team talk. So my report card gets sent home and my mom retrevied the mail before i did, and my grades were:
World history C
Gym A
Intermidate algebra C
Spanish C-
English C
Biology C

Did i mention to tell you my mom hates Cs. So now i got xbox takin away driving privalliges takin away and she even threatned me to take away team talk!!

Mark

Sounds to me like you are going to be studying! :D

flipper
03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I think their are laws against taking away team talk....as for your mom not hating c's.....bring them down to d's. It's a lot easier than going up to a b.

BrianM
03-12-2008, 05:24 PM

How about STUDY!

ProTour X9
03-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Mine would be the total opposite all A's w/ a bad grade in gym! You're lucky, my mom takes away my computer for B+'s.

ProTour X9
03-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh and what grade are you in Mark? Is it Algebra II, and Spanish II, or what?

454Prostar190
03-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Do what your mom says as "she's" the one calling the shots! She loves you now and you'll love her for it later! Trust me!

Sodar
03-12-2008, 05:32 PM
C's are pretty bad! Seriously... who wants to be average!?! Obviously, you are OK with your grades, but I would feel embarrassed to post grades like those! Do a little studying, all your homework and you can very easily skate by with all B's and even a few A's. High school is easy... I fear to see what your college grades will be when and if that time comes...

Ric
03-12-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't think you are gonna learn anything here. Not if I can help it.

ProTour X9
03-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't think you are gonna learn anything here. Not if I can help it.

You're an inspirationhttp://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/indifferent/indifferent0002.gif (http://www.ganja.co.uk)

flipper
03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
C's are pretty bad! Seriously... who wants to be average!?!

Might as well sell the MC and get a Bay Liner while you're at it.:D

TMCNo1
03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Are you stoned? Stay of the X-Box and Team Talk. Keep your grades up and some young lady will respect you in the morning!

6ballsisall
03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Son here's a good analogy of a C

A "C" means your performing at a 70-79% level. A pilot studies and practices for hours on end just to perform a perfect landing and take off for his/her passengers. Would you want a pilot that was only at the "C" level, meaning he's capable of achieving excellence in takeoffs and landings 70% of the time??? Exactly.........the rest of corporate America doesn't either. ;)

TMCNo1
03-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Son here's a good analogy of a C

A "C" means your performing at a 70-79% level. A pilot studies and practices for hours on end just to perform a perfect landing and take off for his/her passengers. Would you want a pilot that was only at the "C" level??? Exactly.........the rest of corporate America doesn't either. ;)

Go buy a MasterCraft at 70 to79% and see what you get! It would make for a bunch of factory rejects!:)

wakolman
03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Maybe look around you and see if your friends are the best influence for you. Try to salvage the rest of the year, and prove to your family and yourself that you can get good grades- nothing below a B.

Leaving high school with sub-par grades is like closing doors (opportunities) on yourself. Some careers don't have room for slackers, and it is always getting more competitive for college acceptances.

milkmania
03-12-2008, 07:00 PM
World history C
Gym A
Intermidate algebra C
Spanish C-
English C
Biology C

Mark

Don't get me started on grammar and capitalization.

Stay in school!

:mad:

wiltok
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
One of your problems is that you keep looking for a boat to buy. Buy my X-9 and part of your problems will be solved!!!

wiltok
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Double post...

kycat2007
03-12-2008, 07:08 PM
I think more of us are on the side of busting your hump in school because it will make owning a nice Mastercraft boat in the future alot easier. You can get a great job or start your own company and then you can sit back enjoy TT and play some Xbox that is when it pays off.

PS and you aren't getting much from UMP and the kool kids table either;)

LKNMC
03-12-2008, 07:12 PM
crack open those books

André
03-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Did i mention to tell you my mom hates Cs.
Nothing's wrong with Cs...I love Cs!
Especially a pair of 36 C!!!;)

Seriously,kick yourself in the *** a bit and get those grades up!:)

TX.X-30 fan
03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
I fail to understand, like SodarSki73 what exactly were you looking for posting those miserable grades. It will never get any easier than where you are right now, just ask the other 4,000 or so members if you disagree.

BrianM
03-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Stay in school!

Come on... that was most definitely 'C' work. With grades like that would you expect better? :rolleyes:

Maristar210
03-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm calling you're mom the next time I see you one here

dpolen
03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Dude...get off the computer and start studying. Teamtalk will not be going anywhere. I'm sure several guys on here would agree that if we could go back to college again, we would study twice as much, party twice as much, and give up the sleep (except for with the blondes with the "C's" that Andre referenced). It's much cooler to be partying at a big name school than at the local Junior College where you'll end up with C's. Just my 2 cents.

TMCNo1
03-12-2008, 07:56 PM
I think more of us are on the side of busting your hump in school because it will make owning a nice Mastercraft boat in the future alot easier. You can get a great job or start your own company and then you can sit back enjoy TT and play some Xbox that is when it pays off.

PS and you aren't getting much from UMP and the kool kids table either;)

Just look at UMP, he went to school and came out a train driver and I think he now drives the flag car for a mobile home outlet center!:rolleyes: :D

milkmania
03-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm calling you're mom the next time I see you one here

is she hot?

JohnE
03-12-2008, 08:19 PM
"The world needs ditch diggers too, son";)

Jerseydave
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
"Well, there's always barber school"

Or you could be like John Belushi in Animal house and wear your "colege" sweatshirt! :D

Seriously, bring up those grades and make your parents proud. If you work real hard now, you may not have to work as hard later.

An older man once told me, "you can only do so much with your hands, but with your mind it's unlimited". True story.

flipper
03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
It really wasn't all that long ago i was in your same shoes hearing....

It will never get easier

you can do better

you want a good job

bet that guy didn't go to college

and millions of others. So, I didn't listen to any of them. Still had my fun, chased girls, good party every weekend, and all the fun stuff. I was able to graduate, some how, but looking back life now could be a whole lot easier if I had done better. I didn't go to college, figured my grades weren't good enough to go anyway so why try. So now, I'm stuck busting my friggin hump in a job I don't like, for a company I hate. Yeah, I make good money, but I could make the same money doing something a whole lot easier....It's your choice, have fun for a couple years, and pay for the rest of your life, or bust @$$ now, and have a easier life.

"Work smart, so you don't have to work hard"

Aric'sX15
03-12-2008, 09:26 PM
At least your not grounded from the mastercraft!!!! :((((((((( two c's and the mom freaks. so i decided to get my act together and get better grades now.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey, B, C, your in the top three.

Your still not sitting at the cool kids table.

Ric said so.

stuartmcnair
03-12-2008, 10:01 PM
look kid, grades don't matter all that much. At least they don't if your dad has great connections. That saved me until I figured it out. Wish I would have studied more though even though I do ok for myself.

suedv
03-12-2008, 10:11 PM
College would have been easier if I had tried harder in high school. You pay your dues at some point in life. Might as well get started now.

sk8salomon
03-12-2008, 10:11 PM
C's are just a gateway grade to D's

erkoehler
03-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow, I wouldn't even want to put grades like that up for public viewing......get to work! Summer is just around the corner :)

03-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow, I wouldn't even want to put grades like that up for public viewing......get to work! Summer is just around the corner :)
Gee Eric. thats cold.

erkoehler
03-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Gee Eric. thats cold.

It is what it is......study now or ELSE!

lanier92prostar
03-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Dude,
Don't close the door on future opportunities. Get those grades up to increase your opportunities for college and beyond. Every choice you make helps to determine your future. As someone said earlier, do you want a MC in the future or a Bayliner?

phecksel
03-12-2008, 10:59 PM
C's in today's world are only going to get you a 15 year old bass boat. B kids can buy the bayliner.

As many others have said, C's this early in life are setting you up for a difficult time. And in fact, since both my girls are in high school, showing up, doing your homework pretty much guarantees a B. Little extra effort will get you to an A. A kids get to do what they want.

Friend of mine's kid went to a good HS, and got all A's. He couldn't get into princeton!!!???? Apparently they turn down thousands of 4.0 kids.

lanier92prostar
03-12-2008, 11:13 PM
phecksel, I agree with you on the ease of getting B's. In our society we have turned c's into b's. IMO. a B is an average grade these days so we can appease the parents and not hurt the kids self esteem. In my district, we cannot put lower than a 60 on a report card so we don't make the kid feel bad. As far a getting into Princeton, I have seen 4.0 students not get into the University of Georgia because they did not take a tough enough course load.Good post phecksel.

JKTX21
03-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Everyone is right! I was always pretty bright in high school and college but was lazy at times. Not proud of that.

Think of it this way... When it comes time to start making choices, colleges, careers.... The difference between "B" and "C" could be tens of thousands $$$ in your pocket!!

erkoehler
03-12-2008, 11:45 PM
phecksel, I agree with you on the ease of getting B's. In our society we have turned c's into b's. IMO. a B is an average grade these days so we can appease the parents and not hurt the kids self esteem. In my district, we cannot put lower than a 60 on a report card so we don't make the kid feel bad. As far a getting into Princeton, I have seen 4.0 students not get into the University of Georgia because they did not take a tough enough course load.Good post phecksel.

Extra curicular activities play a huge role as well.

mrm2083
03-13-2008, 01:41 AM
I think people put a little too much emphasis on high school. I got mediocre all throughout high school (mostly Bs usually an A in gym and a few Cs). I have found college to be much easier, I am doing half the work I did in high school and getting mostly As with occasional Bs. Try to bring some of those grades up to Bs and start focusing on the SAT now that is what really matters these days.

uawaterskier
03-13-2008, 01:45 AM
I think people put a little too much emphasis on high school. I got mediocre all throughout high school (mostly Bs usually an A in gym and a few Cs). I have found college to be much easier, I am doing half the work I did in high school and getting mostly As with occasional Bs. Try to bring some of those grades up to Bs and start focusing on the SAT now that is what really matters these days.
what school are you going too:confused: college is kickin my *** and is about 100000000x harder than HS

mrm2083
03-13-2008, 01:51 AM
University of Miami, I went to a prep school though, i guess they really do make a difference because I found high school to be about 10 times harder than college

H20skeefreek
03-13-2008, 07:29 AM
mrm, I think that's a little different. You gotta keep things in perspective. Besides, you had a B average, not a C average like he posted.

I will reiterate, poor grades in HS will follow you. You've got to learn good study habits now, and then use them in college. I didn't, and I'm struggling to get to where I want to in my career. It would have been much easier to get good grades in HS, then aim a little higher in college, then I wouldn't be struggling to make my goals now. Most companies wouldn't even interview me b/c I had below a 3.0 in college, most companies have now upped that to a 3.25 or 3.5. The competition keeps getting stiffer. You've got to build a good foundation now, and keep building on it.

And frankly, I haven't seen much on Team Talk worth looking at in a few years. It's all a bunch of random stuff, you'd be better off getting outside and having some fun for your leisure activities.

Doug G
03-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I interviewed several people the last few weeks from a local IT&T campus for an entry level position. GPA and transcript from IT&T were reviewed and a factor. I do not look back at HS when there is post HS education. I will consider entry level people with only a HS diploma. If there is only HS I look at the grades.

The GPA tells me more than just the raw number it shows me work effort, ability to learn, etc ... the 4.0 student isn't always the best choice but I have yet to find a 3.0 or less that is a good choice when factoring everything else in. I work in a technical field that requires continuous learning.

I don't hire lazy people. If you were comfortable skating by in HS or college, I bet you'll be comfortable skating by in a job too.

I am one of those guys on the other side of the table when you are interviewing ... Just sayin'

03-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Ric is smart.

Ric
03-13-2008, 09:20 AM
I interviewed several people the last few weeks from a local IT&T campus for an entry level position. GPA and transcript from IT&T were reviewed and a factor. I do not look back at HS when there is post HS education. I will consider entry level people with only a HS diploma. If there is only HS I look at the grades.

The GPA tells me more than just the raw number it shows me work effort, ability to learn, etc ... the 4.0 student isn't always the best choice but I have yet to find a 3.0 or less that is a good choice when factoring everything else in. I work in a technical field that requires continuous learning.

I don't hire lazy people. If you were comfortable skating by in HS or college, I bet you'll be comfortable skating by in a job too.

I am one of those guys on the other side of the table when you are interviewing ... Just sayin' No way Doug is hiring me anytime soon.

mcdoon
03-13-2008, 09:31 AM
I went to Catholic school and would've gotten two beatings for those grades -- one from the nuns and one from the parents. Consider yourself lucky you haven't had a few lumps raised on your noggin.

By the way, it's not "Michigain". You might want to familiarize yourself with a dictionary.

(Anyone see the kid around recently? He hasn't posted since the scolding started.)

03-13-2008, 09:34 AM
No way Doug is hiring me anytime soon.
skater .

TMCNo1
03-13-2008, 09:44 AM
I went to Catholic school and would've gotten two beatings for those grades -- one from the nuns and one from the parents. Consider yourself lucky you haven't had a few lumps raised on your noggin.

By the way, it's not "Michigain". You might want to familiarize yourself with a dictionary.

(Anyone see the kid around recently? He hasn't posted since the scolding started.)

I always wondered about that! I bet mamma didn't ever see the 'D' grade in spelling!:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2008, 09:45 AM

Stay in school!

Hey, at least he didn't type it as a "text" message:rolleyes:

Luv d txt msgs:rolleyes: lol jk lmao

wakeX2wake
i leave you with one very valuable analogy... this is coming from a person who gave up a lot of sleep in college to get my partying and studying in... you need to get the grades up so you CAN go to a major school and get a noteworthy degree and if you do go to a major school there are way hotter girls there than at a jr college (i know i went to both) and who wants to have an ugly wife or one that doesn't do anything?

ncsone
I think that the reason anyone here is even able to enjoy the MasterCraft lifestyle is probably because we worked our tail off when we were younger (and now too) so that we can enjoy great things such as MC's.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2008, 09:48 AM
who wants to have an ugly wife or one that doesn't do anything?
THE QUOTE OF THE DAY:D

milkmania
03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
what school are you going too:confused: college is kickin my *** and is about 100000000x harder than HS
University of Miami, I went to a prep school though, i guess they really do make a difference because I found high school to be about 10 times harder than college

college was somewhat more difficult for my oldest son.
He graduated valedictoran in high school.:confused:

I think a lot of it depends on your course load.

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM
THE QUOTE OF THE DAY:D

thanks that's really where i was going with that whole thing... the real losers in life have ugly wives or ones that don't work

milkmania
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey, at least he didn't type it as a "text" message:rolleyes:

Luv d txt msgs:rolleyes: lol jk lmao

oh man, I got an email like that the other day!

"want 2 get quote 4 limo idk what date yet"

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2008, 10:00 AM
oh man, I got an email like that the other day!

"want 2 get quote 4 limo idk what date yet"

My response would have been:

Lmo nt avlbl 4 dt rqstd. Cnct my dgts 4 mr dtls. Hv a gd dy.;)

TMCNo1
03-13-2008, 10:16 AM
My response would have been:

Lmo nt avlbl 4 dt rqstd. Cnct my dgts 4 mr dtls. Hv a gd dy.;)

I jus luv Textebonics!:rolleyes:

phecksel
03-13-2008, 12:02 PM
I skated through HS, hit a very solid brick wall my first semester of college. Recovered very nicely and it set up study habits I had never learned. No scholarships, no financial support made for a long tough road. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger! Today, I'm sitting pretty good, especially taking into account the local economy.

Today's job market is very tough and getting tougher. There's a lot of B students looking for work. We can say all we want about the A students, but when an employer is looking to hire, it shows that student knows what it takes to get the job done. We have all seen the exceptions, and I personally know a straight A through two Masters programs, and he couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag with a lit exit sign. More often then not, that student has the ability to get through difficult projects.

I fight the battle with my own kids, one is getting it in the 9th grade, the 11th grader is still learning it. In their opinion, D is a passing grade.

Jim@BAWS
03-13-2008, 12:35 PM
World history C
Gym A
Intermidate algebra C
Spanish C-
English C
Biology C

Mark

STUDY STUDY STUDY

stuartmcnair
03-13-2008, 12:45 PM

I have to disagree with you there. I had a 2.8 from one of the top schools for MIS in the country. I am an IT Director, Microsoft Certified and am one of the top developers in my field. I've had MIS majors that were 4.0 students who knew nothing about networks or real world programming. My wife has a degree in Agricultural Economics and is now a database developer that can pick and choose her consulting jobs. Grades don't mean a thing two weeks after graduation and the first job starts. They may get you in the door but they will not keep you there.

Doug G
03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Like I said the 4.0 is not always the best choice.. but GENERALLY, grades can be an indicator.. it is one factor in an overall process . On average the skater with bad habits is going to take longer / harder for example to achieve the MCSE right?

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 12:51 PM
I have to disagree with you there. I had a 2.8 from one of the top schools for MIS in the country. I am an IT Director, Microsoft Certified and am one of the top developers in my field. I've had MIS majors that were 4.0 students who knew nothing about networks or real world programming. My wife has a degree in Agricultural Economics and is now a database developer that can pick and choose her consulting jobs. Grades don't mean a thing two weeks after graduation and the first job starts. They may get you in the door but they will not keep you there.

agreed... i'm a 3.2 guy and when i was interviewing most of the people were glad i wasn't a 4.0 guy... in his mind a 4.0 guy had little social skills (which whether we choose to believe it or not is 95% of the real world) and a +3.0 meant he wasn't talking to a slacker... it's all about what you're willing to do to get the job done for the person you work for and how well you can do it... that determines success in the real world

92 190 PS
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM

I love these conversations. I was a B/C student all through school and struggled through every last second of it (pretty much hated everything about school). Made me stronger in the long run. I'm to am a Director at very well respected company in my early 30's and have many/many A students working for me.

By no means am I saying don't study, do the best you can, bust your butt and don't sweat the end result. For those people that think GPA = success in business I'll just keep laughing.

I've had something like 8 promotions in 6 years and continue to bust my butt every day to get ahead. Nobody ever asks me what my GPA was....:)

Sodar
03-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I am glad all of you guys have "made it by" with lower college gpas, but just like everything else, I would rather work my @ss off to enable the doors to be left open for further opportunities... ie. grad school!

03-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I sure wish I wouldnt have drank all that cough syrup this morning.

stuartmcnair
03-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Don't translate lower grades = slacker. I worked my *** off. In the computer lab all night long, studying constantly, tutors, you name it I tried it. I could not take a multiple choice test to save my life. I always ranked at the top on project work but I got killed by the tests.

The first Microsoft test was on Windows XP. I can do everything on XP from memory without even thinking about it. Barely scored in the 700's on the test. That's just the way it is.

There are many reasons for not making good grades. You can't judge people solely on them.

suedv
03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Don't translate lower grades = slacker. I worked my *** off. In the computer lab all night long, studying constantly, tutors, you name it I tried it. I could not take a multiple choice test to save my life. I always ranked at the top on project work but I got killed by the tests.

The first Microsoft test was on Windows XP. I can do everything on XP from memory without even thinking about it. Barely scored in the 700's on the test. That's just the way it is.

There are many reasons for not making good grades. You can't judge people solely on them.

You've got a point there. I can't take a standardized test and do well to save my life. Being timed and filling in little bubbles with a number 2 pencil makes my mind go crazy. However, I did very well in graduate school where research and writing well is critical and other types of test were most common. I ended up with a 3.9 GPA. Those two classes where I only got an A- kept me from being a total nerd. :D

03-13-2008, 01:49 PM
You've got a point there. I can't take a standardized test and do well to save my life. Being timed and filling in little bubbles with a number 2 pencil makes my mind go crazy. However, I did very well in graduate school where research and writing well is critical and other types of test were most common. I ended up with a 3.9 GPA. Those two classes where I only got an A- kept me from being a total nerd. :D
Werd up to that sista.

I was in the National Honor Society in HS. I always had great grades, and I wouldnt do great on those standardized tests. and I totally tanked my ACT. I mean bad. So I was interviewing with the college recruiter and I told him I didnt do so hot on my ACT. He looked at my grade transcript and he said, "that ACT dont mean ****, this is what we look at." I graduated with a 3.5 GPA from college.

6ballsisall
03-13-2008, 02:06 PM
I love these conversations. I was a B/C student all through school and struggled through every last second of it (pretty much hated everything about school). Made me stronger in the long run. I'm to am a Director at very well respected company in my early 30's and have many/many A students working for me.

By no means am I saying don't study, do the best you can, bust your butt and don't sweat the end result. For those people that think GPA = success in business I'll just keep laughing.

I've had something like 8 promotions in 6 years and continue to bus my butt every day to get ahead. Nobody ever asks me what my GPA was....:)

I am in the exact same boat, 29, at Director/VP level and I don't even have a 4 year degree. (just an Associates) I was no 4.0 student in school by any means and in fact, I played connect the dots on my ACTs and scored very high (should have bought a lotto ticket that day 8p ) The point to make is that getting upset about your parents being hard on you about your grades and the fear of losing team talk is childish. Grades don't matter solely (although they are important) but it's the idea that if you are studying and working hard in school you build good work ethics, and occassionally you learn a thing or two. ;)

454Prostar190
03-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Where's Mark the original poster? His mom probably has no clue as to how many boots that he has in his a** from his posting and how much help that he could get from us!! Even if it's just to run him off the board to study and do his homework!! Rick

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2008, 02:34 PM
hmmmm....Bill Gates didn't finish school did he....:rolleyes:

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 02:36 PM
this butt chewing may be worse than the one Denzel gives the mayor at the end of the movie inside man

TMCNo1
03-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Keep your gradz up, go to colletge, become a lying politician, become Gobernor and spend $5,000 a pop for huukers!

Gawd bleez Amedica, I loov dis fooging cundrie!

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
The thing with me is this....My oldest daughter, whom is 12, has been on the honor roll the past 2 quarters and now she wes sent home with a progress report and one of her classes was a c-. I took everything away from her till it gets to at least a b simply because she showed me that she is capable of getting those kind of grades. It tells me that she is getting lazy and not applying herself the way that I know she can. Next to go will be the boat this summer (for her...NOT ME).

6ballsisall
03-13-2008, 03:24 PM

Your right. I think the guys broke though. I keep buying into his company and he keeps taking my money??? :D

wakolman
03-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Your right. I think the guys broke though. I keep buying into his company and he keeps taking my money??? :D

Glad to know I am not the only one.:D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
And now gives it away to other countries by the $ Billions....:confused: Did he go to school for that??

ProTour X9
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Should we change the subject what about eligibility grades for sports??

Our school is somewhere around 2.0

wakolman
03-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I worked as a high school teacher. I have a BS and MS. Lots of schooling, so I obviously think college is important. So, I agree with the messages that say "work your tail off, do your best".

However, college doesn't guarantee success. It is about the work ethic that you develop and apply. I told kids that "If it is worth doing, it is worth doing well." I think that 2 yr. schools right now offer a great return on your investment (time and $). How about jobs in the trades? Electricians, carpenters, plumbers, iron workers, etc. Nursing, dental hygienist, IT, automotive techs. etc. Military is another option to get training for a career.

Mike, these people aren't trying to make you feel bad about yourself. We are trying to tell you that you still can turn it around. It is hard to know what you want to do for the rest of your life as an 18 yr. old.

Now, open the books and get crackin.

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2008, 10:11 PM

Neither did this guy ;)

03-13-2008, 10:59 PM
I think the best advice to this young lad is, Son, do your best to study hard and excel in life or you will end up like Hoosier Bob.

6ballsisall
03-13-2008, 11:11 PM
^^^^^ Hey, whats Hoosier Bob drinking?

dpolen
03-14-2008, 08:05 AM
So is Mark grounded from Teamtalk? Probably not getting the response he had hoped for from this group.

bcampbe7
03-14-2008, 11:45 AM
The thing with me is this....My oldest daughter, whom is 12, has been on the honor roll the past 2 quarters and now she wes sent home with a progress report and one of her classes was a c-. I took everything away from her till it gets to at least a b simply because she showed me that she is capable of getting those kind of grades. It tells me that she is getting lazy and not applying herself the way that I know she can. Next to go will be the boat this summer (for her...NOT ME).

Could it be that she is bored?

I think the problem in some school systems is that the materials are not challenging and/or exciting enough for some kids. You have to keep the child's interest.

phecksel
03-15-2008, 07:09 PM
All great comments about the grades... but there's a HUGE diff between 2.0 and 3.something.

atlfootr
03-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Ok, so all i really do is play hockey, play xbox or go on team talk ..... I dont know what im gonna do. MarkFirst off, DUDE -- GET A LIFE :rolleyes:
Secondly are you in any fashion, shape or form related to our very own UMP! :confused:

SchuyHigh
03-16-2008, 11:20 PM
The day you buy your own first MC is great, but w/o grades/education/and a good job........forget it. HS is a cake walk, college pays the bills. Good Luck!

ProTour X9
03-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Just got my official end of trimester grades today

Geometry - A
Jazz Band - A
Intro Physics - A
Spanish 1b - A
English 1b - A-

Maybe rubbing it in your face will help you Mark.....

Sodar
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Just got my official end of trimester grades today

Geometry - A
Jazz Band - A
Intro Physics - A
Spanish 1b - A
English 1b - A-

Maybe rubbing it in your face will help you Mark.....

ONLY 5 CLASSES!! I had 7 of those effing things!!

Congrats though! Looks like English could use some help, but overall I am pleased! ;)

ProTour X9
03-17-2008, 04:48 PM
ONLY 5 CLASSES!! I had 7 of those effing things!!

Congrats though! Looks like English could use some help, but overall I am pleased! ;)

hehe yeah since we switched to trimesters theres only 5 classes a day it does make the day go faster though; last year our 6th hour was just a waste of time

Lennyp04
03-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Wow Doug. That report card looks nothing like mine....haha Just kidding. Ours are similar

I see Jazz band. What do you play? I play alto sax in mine.

ProTour X9
03-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow Doug. That report card looks nothing like mine....haha Just kidding. Ours are similar

I see Jazz band. What do you play? I play alto sax in mine.

http://www.smileyhut.com/music/piano.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)
Piano.......a very rocking piano:cool: Some kids who know how to play will sit down and play Mozart and I'll just about doze off8p

wakolman
06-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Mark, how are the grades? Give us an update.

JohnnyB
06-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Hopefully your grades are improved.

Not to pile on, but the other folks are right. We are moving into a global economy where, except for a few lucky folks, your pay/lifestlye/livelihood is going to be based on your education, skill and intitiative.

Folks are correct that after a while, grades won't matter (i.e. when you're 20 years into your career). However, your grades now and more importantly what you learn to get those grades is the foundation of your future....there are very few high-paying factory and/or laborer jobs left in the world, if you're not highly educated and highly motivated, your future is in jeopardy!!!

Get those grades up, study hard, learn as much as you can. It'll be the difference between having the $$$ to buy an MC when you get your first job or never having the $$$ to afford to support yourself.

JohnnyB
06-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Uhm....oh yea....I was the beer drinkin', girl chasin', 3 sport letterman who also happened to be the guy with the 4.0 :cool:

...and yes, all those well developed habits carried through college too.....

work hard, play hard!!!!

wakolman
06-01-2008, 10:08 PM
bump....... I see you are online.

Prostar in Michigain
06-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Hahha ya i got the grades up man. Went from all Cs to All Bs an A and on C so im doing better i think. I got finals this week and i am feeling pretty comfortable about them. Thanks for inspiration guys.

wakolman
06-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Way to go!

Vern Swieringa
06-02-2008, 09:32 AM
I really bombed in high school. I couldn't wait to get out into the work world and start making some money. I did OK because of the people I knew. However, after 13 years of selling phone systems and insurance, I finally figured our what I was really called to do. So back to school for another 9 1/2 years, with a family this time. Talk about tough times!!! I did much better in college and grad school, because I had focus this time.

Bottom line! Money isn't everything. Fulfillment in what you are doing is. I still struggle with the bad (lazy) habits I developed in my earlier years in high school, but finding work that keeps me busy and fulfilled has really made a huge difference.

If you are believer, all I can tell you is that God can do some pretty awesome things with "cracked pots."

454Prostar190
06-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Great job! Like I said before, "Listen to your mom!" She's looking out for you!

damaged442
06-02-2008, 11:11 AM
There is a difference between trying and not doing well in school, and not doing well because you don't want to do the work. I didn't exactly have the smoothest track record in HS, but got my stuff together and now have dual BAs and an MS. There were a few key people in my life that changed it significantly for me. First two were my parents, although I definitely didn't think so at the time. Keep with it and the rewards will be worth the extra work. If you don't, well think of it this way.

jclose8
06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Hahha. Ya I got the grades up, man. (I) went from all Cs to all Bs, an A and one C, so I'm doing better, I think. I have finals this week and I am feeling pretty comfortable about them. Thanks for inspiration guys.

Nice job on the grades! Now practice your typing, capitalization, grammar and punctuation on here. You are going to post anyway..... why not get it right?

...and change your freakin' screen name!!!!

Its Michigan

Prostar in Michigain
06-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Jclose your a little late on all that stuff but thanks anyways

brucemac
06-03-2008, 05:29 PM
nice work. enjoy your summer. work hard play hard. :D