PDA

View Full Version : Changed oil, noticed water

manny34711
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I was changing the oil in the 00 xstar today. I have the LTR 330. When I first started sucking the old stuff out with my pump, I noticed it was very milky and it was a light brownish color with some sandy looking particles. After about 1 minute of draning... the oil started looking like typical old oil (dark) but still it was watery. Im sure some water got in there when there was almost 2 feet of water. Hopefully it was just from the major rainstorm 3 days before i drained it. Is there any additive I can add to make this bad situation better ?

Hunterb
03-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Not sure how water from a rainstorm would get in the crankcase? When you say there was 2 feet of water, do you mean 'in the boat'? Is the boat outside without the cover on and the air cleaner off?

Water in the oil can be caused from a relatively minor gasket leak at the manifold or it can be a sign of catastrophic damage.

You could fill it with oil and start it up and see what happens.

Good luck. Hopefully it's not serious.

Bruce

manny34711
03-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Well I changed the oil and tranny fluid, sat her down in the water... and she ran like a champ! Looks like I'm almost ready for this season! Thank fellas!

erkoehler
03-12-2008, 10:45 PM
After you run the boat for an hour or so, check the oil.....you may need to change it a few times to get all the water out.

manny34711
03-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Great point. I'll drain some of it to check it out