PDA

View Full Version : I have no trailer guides

trunderw
03-12-2008, 02:54 PM
My trailer came with the trailer guides, ahem, broken off, maybe removed but I think broken off because there is some metal down in the hole. I don't weld, but could I just get a piece of aluminum and jb weld it down in that hole? then cover it with a guide cover? Or should I take it somewhere that can weld it and buy the tube from them? Thanks.

ShamrockIV
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
got pics????? i am sure u can find some new guides. just wait the answers will pour in!!!

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Have it welded........

flipper
03-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Have it welded!!!! When the JB, not if...when, breaks off, and the pole goes through the windshield of the car behind you and kills somebody you'll be in a heap.

trunderw
03-12-2008, 03:10 PM
flipper: ok ok, I hear you guys. case closed. I'll get it welded. Thanks for the fast replies! I guess I'll have to buy a welding setup :)

flipper
03-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Just lookin' out for ya....and if you do buy a welding set up, don't go cheap. I've been down that road.

Maristar210
03-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Bring it in I'll weld it for you in about five minutes. It's the drive that'll getcha

TMCNo1
03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Have you checked under the fender on the framework? The guide bar tube should slide in another tube that is welded to the fender framework with 2 nuts each welded on. 2 bolts and nuts lock the guidebar in the framework tube? That way, they can be replaced or repaired by just loosening 2 bolts, sliding them out, if damaged/bent or broken.

trunderw
03-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm in the Washington, DC area, do most of my skiing at Lake Anna. If there are any welders that would like to weld in a couple trailer guides and enjoy a few beers...I'm in, my treat.

trunderw
03-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Have you checked under the fender on the framework? The guide bar tube should slide in another tube that is welded to the fender framework with 2 nuts each welded on. 2 bolts and nuts lock the guidebar in the framework tube?
I'll check that out and see. thanks for the heads up

Maristar210
03-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Sorry I am not closer to you but take heed to what TMC says and make sure your set up is redone properly and not just drunk Bob weld the crap out of it....

On another note, it's a pretty risky move launching without the guides IMO

Good Luck !!

trunderw
03-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Sorry I am not closer to you but take heed to what TMC says and make sure your set up is redone properly and not just drunk Bob weld the crap out of it....

Good Luck !!

Yeah, you're right about risky without the guides. I've been launching it that way for a year. The hardest part is when I'm reloading it on the trailer--it comes in sideways, etc, I stand out in the water and pull it in with a ski rope. Once it's centered, my fiance throttles it up to the bar while I tell her which way to point... big fun
looking forward to getting guides. These are but few of the steps on my not-doing-it-myself restoration!

dpolen
03-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Just an idea, you could simply buy some replacement guides? Not as sexy as the OEM ones that are broken, but you'll need them if you're doing a fair amount of launching.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=201169&pdesc=Fulton_Boat_Guides_for_Trailers&cname=Guide-Ons&aID=26M&merchID=1009&r=view

ShamrockIV
03-12-2008, 03:47 PM

Good Luck !!

i agree and loading boat is even more risky!!!

Sodar
03-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I just dug through my trailer refurb pics, but came up with very little. TMC is exactly right, if you have a MC trailer, the guide poles are mounted into a larger sized tube with two bolts going into welded nuts. When I redid my trailer, I had to grind 2 of the nuts off, because I broke the head of the bolt off trying to get them out. Here is the best pic I could find with the guide pole just stuck in there... Sorry for the crappy pictures... its all I got!

Here is the guide post stuck into the larger ID tube.
Here are the bottom of the guide posts out of the trailer.

TMCNo1
03-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Have you checked under the fender on the framework? The guide bar tube should slide in another tube that is welded to the fender framework with 2 nuts each welded on. 2 bolts and nuts lock the guidebar in the framework tube? That way, they can be replaced or repaired by just loosening 2 bolts, sliding them out, if damaged/bent or broken.

This is what you should be looking for from underneath. If they are rusted in, you may/will have to remove the fender and have a welding shop or someone with a torch cut them out, then you can install new bolts and lock nuts and either steel or galvanized guidebar tubes, which are approximately 1 3/4" O.D. and 40" long, then cover with PVC pipe so it will spin on the tube as the boat rubrail hits it.