PDA

View Full Version : transom remote

wakeX2wake
03-12-2008, 10:26 AM
i'm looking to add a transom remote on my 07 x2... obviously this is contingent on a few things... price and feisability being two big ones... i would like to just get the dealer to do it as i'm not totally comfortable w/ going at my hull w/ a drill... i know that's what they'll do but i also don't care to see my chicken dinner killed skinned and prepared for cooking either... so does anyone have any idea what this would run me and if it is fairly easy to do yourself?

jrcarte78
03-12-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't think it's really that hard to do. There's a thread that was posted by Diesel a while back detailing how he did it.

Diesel definitely does pristine work, as you can see.....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12005&highlight=remote+install

KnoxX2
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Personally I would not do it. Here is my reason! I have had my 06 now for 2 seasons and maybe only used it once and I think that was in the driveway when I was washing the boat.

Just my:twocents:

quincyfirefighter
03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I did it and yes the hardest thing was drilling the 2" hole in back. The only thing I would say is make sure your remotes are compatible with each other. Diesel and I ran into some problems with the ones we were using. They didn't play well together.

ttu
03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
i made the dealer throw the remote in as part of the purchase. however they did not install it till i took the boat in to be winterized along with getting a few other things fixed.

i had it on my previous supra and used it a lot when floating by the platform drinking a beer.:D

then using the x2 for the first 2 months not having it, i really missed having the remote.

this season it is there and looking good.

wakeX2wake
03-12-2008, 11:25 AM
i made the dealer throw the remote in as part of the purchase. however they did not install it till i took the boat in to be winterized along with getting a few other things fixed.

i had it on my previous supra and used it a lot when floating by the platform drinking a beer.:D

then using the x2 for the first 2 months not having it, i really missed having the remote.

this season it is there and looking good.

that's basically why i want it... we do a lot of "conversing" in the the summer and it's nice ot have that feature when you're floating in the water taking a 3 hr break while we empty the white and grey ballast tank under my port side seat... just think it would be a nice touch on the resale too...

thanks for the link

MIMC
03-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I have the Sony X-plod set up in my PS195, I put the RM-X55M in my boat but without drilling the hole. On my PS195 I took out one of the engine compartment fresh air vents and put the remote in it's place (perfect fit). I re-routed the fresh air intake so not to have any issues with engine compartment fumes. I'll find a pic and post.

MIMC

Sodar
03-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I installed the transom remote about 1 hour after I received the boat and do not know what I would do without it! It is so nice to use when laying on the sunpad. I also use it ALOT while I am wipping the boat down infront of the house or maxing it. I know that the 2" hole is tough to do, but it is not tough at all! Here are a few tips that will protect you against any damage.

1. Measure until you feel completely comfortable.
2. Make sure nothing is behind the hole that could get damaged (i.e. fuel lines, wires, brackets, pumps, etc.).
3. put blue tape over the gel where you are drilling
4. drill in reverse through the gelcoat... once you are through the gel, you can switch over to forward.
5. Do not use pressure... let the drill do the work and you will get a nice, clean and smooth hole!

Good Luck!

wakeX2wake
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
ehhhahh man....... i ain't going to lie... this sucks... i know i can but once it's done it's going to be REALLY expensive to undo... i think i'm going to start w/ something i'm more comfortable with... plumping in two rear ballast fatsacs... then i'm going to work my way into this transom remote thing... i've looked online and i think the transom remote i currently have at the driver's seat is a "Clarion CMRC1-BSS"... i would like to do the same remote on the transom... i want to stay w/ OEM equipment... i just don't see it worth the trouble and cost to upgrade head units and remotes and all that

Sodar
03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
I have this one at my helm....

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/702/453/CMRC1-BSS.jpg

And this one on the transom.....
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/325/277/CMRC2-BSS.jpg

ttu
03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
auburn,

i am going up the boat storage over the weekend to check on the boat before leaving for colorado for a week.

i will get a pic of the location of the remote on the transom and and of course get one of the new tower braces:rolleyes:

OhioProstar
03-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I have this one at my helm....

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/702/453/CMRC1-BSS.jpg

And this one on the transom.....
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/325/277/CMRC2-BSS.jpg

As an FYI the CMRC1 is a 3" hole the CMRC2 w/o Digital Display is a 2"

Sodar
03-12-2008, 12:56 PM
As an FYI the CMRC1 is a 3" hole the CMRC2 w/o Digital Display is a 2"
Yeah, that is why I stayed away from having a display back there... i do not have a whole lotta real estate! :D

east tx skier
03-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure if this is an option with the Clarion, but our little JVC tuner has a wireless remote that works just fine. We've got a spare key on a red cord behind the back seat and I'm thinking about adding one for the remote as it's pretty useless on the keychain. Bonus, with the digital ipod interface on the JVC, I can control the ipod with the remote as well.

http://www.woofersetc.com/images/products/4747.jpg

Admitedly, it lacks the form factor of the hard wired transom remote. But there's no drilling required and no need to try to fill a hole if it stops working or the manufacturer decides to change the size by half an inch in the future.

Eagle Lake Rebel
03-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I think a waterproof wireless remote is now offered. I would look into that first before the drill comes out. I have a remote on the back and use it some but it's not a "must have" for me. I have also had the rear remote get water into it which made the head unit and the other dash remote do stupid stuff until I figured out where all the unknown commands were comming from. I think the wireless unit can be adapted to units that do allow for wired remotes. I know it is an option on the '08 boats with the Clarion head unit.

wakeX2wake
03-12-2008, 03:28 PM
wow great stuff... 3.5 hr meetings are not too much fun... I'm going to look into all those options... i'm thinking i'd like the one on the back to have the display (eventhough is does require a larger hole) b/c i'm thinking i'm going to get a clarion ipod adapter installed eventhough i already have the plug in jack already i just think it would be nice to see the display from the ipod while searching for music... i really really want the transom remote... i would just go look at my boat to see what i could be doing but i'm not planning on getting it de-winterized for another couple of weeks... and i have it at Rambo where they're going to have it primed and ready to hit it when i'm ready for it... the weather here is so unstable and i really don't want to mess anything up

OhioProstar
03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
I would check with Clarion on how much you can search with the transom remote. I know my CDM5 head unit can break it down by folder/category with the iPod interface, but I don't think you can use the remote to control as much.

wakeX2wake
03-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I would check with Clarion on how much you can search with the transom remote. I know my CDM5 head unit can break it down by folder/category with the iPod interface, but I don't think you can use the remote to control as much.
i'll deffinately look into that... i've got Rambo quoting me a price to do it and have it done when i'm ready to pick it up from getting it dewinterized... drilling that hole has to take some major BAWLS!!!

OhioProstar
03-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Just close your eyes and pull the trigger. If you have lived right you won't hit the fuel tank.:D

wakeX2wake
03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
yeah no problem on the fuel tank honestly not as worried about that is messing up my metal flake paint job... i think i have the CMD4 unit in my '07 boat... any way to know for sure?... my boat it 1.5hrs away and shrink wrapped until it's time to de-winterize

KBryant2007
03-13-2008, 10:30 PM
I had my dealer install one in my Prostar 209 at the end of the season. He charged about $225 for parts and labor. I checked http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Group/ProductMenu.aspx?g=225250&tp=1776 and the part runs about 100.00 + cable, so I thought it would take about 2 hours to install so it comes out to about $50/hr for labor. Although I'm pretty handy, I had a hard time drilling a 2" inch hole in my brand new boat.

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 10:43 AM
ok... i've done more looking into this and i can get all the stuff i need to do this thing (including the transom remote w/ the led screen) for a little less than $150 (probably cheaper if i could get on ebay here at work)... dealership wants $350 to do it... i hate this decision... my main hang up is that i KNOW it will cost a tad more than the $200 difference to have the metal flake fixed if i screw up some how

Diesel
03-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Although I'm pretty handy, I had a hard time drilling a 2" inch hole in my brand new boat.

See I am the exact opposite.....why allow someone who has zero interest or $$ vested in your boat do the work? When I do it I know it is done right and with the utmost care. It's just a boat and it's just a hole and someone has to drill it, right?

Plus I don't have to tow the damn thing to the dealer, worry about it sitting outside, being scratched, walked in, not covered up, someone stealing stuff out of it, taking it out on the while drinking beer, and the list goes on and on..................

OhioProstar
03-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Add another $10-15 for a three inch hole saw and it will be an easy cut. All I have done in the past is put two layers of masking tape down. Run a pilot hole in for the arbor and then run the saw down with the drill on high speed. You should have no problem running the remote wire along the gunnel rail to your head unit. I really can't see it taking 2 hours.

Here is the best price I found for a CMRC1-SB (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9595_Clarion+CMRC1-SB.html) and the going rate for the M101-RXC Extension Cord (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9541_Clarion+M101RXC-RET.html).

3inch Hole Saw (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100495379&N=10000003+90401)

skeeler
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
See I am the exact opposite.....why allow someone who has zero interest or $$ vested in your boat do the work? When I do it I know it is done right and with the utmost care. It's just a boat and it's just a hole and someone has to drill it, right?

Plus I don't have to tow the damn thing to the dealer, worry about it sitting outside, being scratched, walked in, not covered up, someone stealing stuff out of it, taking it out on the while drinking beer, and the list goes on and on..................
I'm with ya buddy! If anyone is going to putting holes in my $$$$ boat, it's going to be me.
Plus, most people that end up doing the actual work, in most cases, I think I am more qualified. :D

BrandonKTM
03-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm with ya buddy! If anyone is going to putting holes in my $$$$ boat, it's going to be me.
Plus, most people that end up doing the actual work, in most cases, I think I am more qualified. :D
Amen to that. Measure twice, drill once. Oh yea, make sure the spot is flat, so the remote mounts tight. There are areas that appear flat but if you put a steel edge to 'em, they aren't!

ridesdirt
03-14-2008, 04:24 PM

ditto!

I have to agree, I would rather be the one with the drill.

I haven't had to do it, but I really want that underwater lighting!

kevfischer
03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Does anyone know if the CMRC2 fits the clarion head that the used in 06

Diesel
03-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Here is a perfect example......

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/557590.html?1205523747

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Here is a perfect example......

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/557590.html?1205523747
wow i would have my foot broke off in somebody's @$$ BIG TIME... i think i'm just going to do it myself the more i think about the $200... not that $200 is that big of a deal really but it is half my new board this year... i'm going to check out the swell that comes up on the back with the balast and fat sacs full and see where i want it... i would be IRATE if the installers messed my crap up like that... thanks for the advice from everyone... i'll be sure to take pics as i go and get them posted in a few weeks when i'm de-winterized and working on getting it all set up this year

Diesel
03-14-2008, 05:17 PM
wow i would have my foot broke off in somebody's @$$ BIG TIME... i think i'm just going to do it myself the more i think about the $200... not that $200 is that big of a deal really but it is half my new board this year... i'm going to check out the swell that comes up on the back with the balast and fat sacs full and see where i want it... i would be IRATE if the installers messed my crap up like that... thanks for the advice from everyone... i'll be sure to take pics as i go and get them posted in a few weeks when i'm de-winterized and working on getting it all set up this year

Any questions just let us know....we will walk you through it. ;)

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 05:26 PM
sweet... just a quick question (as i over think most everything in my life except buying my x2... i just saw it went to the bank didn't check insurance or anything just did it... bad @$$ move on my part)... the Y adapter hooks directly into the back of the head unit right?... so i'll just run the current wire to the remote at the dirver's seat to one side of the Y and then the other wire will go around the bow? (i'm planning on putting the transom remote on the driver's side too)... I've only seen a 24' entender wire for this job?... What kind of power wire will I have to hook up if at all also?

Diesel
03-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Yep, y adapter goes at the head unit.

Just go straight back to the transom with the other wire. There are tubes up in the gunnel.

Should only have to hook up the back light wire and there should be one back there somewhere.

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 05:35 PM
That's what i thought... i'm hooking up the ipod interface in the same day too so that should be a fun day... it's going to be tough to take a few hrs off the water but i'm going to consider it worth in that i'm enhancing my pull

2000XPSD
03-15-2008, 02:22 PM
i put 3 remotes in my boat. along with the usual driver's and transom ones i also install a 3rd up front. I get so sick of hearing "turn it up" "turn it down" "change the station" from the hens flopping around up front. With the remote up there i can worry about driving or whatever and not play friggin DJ.
I know the manuals from clarion say you can only run 2 remotes but that is total BS...i works 100% fine in my boat. In fact clarion even makes the 3 way splitter!!! why they tell you that you can only run 2 is beyond me. there isn't much room up there to install it so you have to be creative and careful.

1boarder
03-15-2008, 03:34 PM
In addition to the tips above, one other thing I do is drill a tiny pilot hole once you have measured and measured twice. Then find the hole inside and make sure you are where you want to be. If you aren't, you only have a tiny hole to fix.

Lennyp04
03-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Www.hookedontronics.com

Awesome prices!

ttu
03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
auburn, here is a pic of the transom remote that my dealer did for me.

sorry diesel, you were to busy to help me doing all the dual batteries installs.:D

Eagle Lake Rebel
03-16-2008, 06:24 PM
When cutting into fiberglass I always start the cut with the drill in reverse. This keeps the gel from wanting to chip. Have an extra bit and hole saw because the reverse operation will dull the cutting edge fast.