PDA

View Full Version : Props: 3 vs. 4 blade

russlars
03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I am currently running a Cutter SS 13 X 13.5 on my '99 205 with the 330 HP LTR engine. I have no complaints about performance. It seems to have plenty of hole shot and pegs out the speedo at 50 mph. My question is how would the peformance be affected if I switched to the same size in a 3 blade prop?

Sodar
03-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Call Bill @ ACME Props or Eric @ OJ Props. Both will be able to give you and unbiased and educated answer.

loeweb
03-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm far from the expert, but I would bet that your hole shot would get worse, but your top end might gain a little. Depending on the pitch and cup of the blades of course.

uawaterskier
03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Well from the 07 to 08 197 they went from a 4 blade prop to a 3 blade. I can't tell much of a difference out of the hole, but top in the 3 blade is a little faster. Oh yeah the boats had the same motor in em

wakeX2wake
03-11-2008, 05:07 PM
to me it seems... the 4 blade props hold speed more cosistent... had a 3 on my '93 maristar and had major problems setting a speed and holding it constant then changed to a 4 blade and that phenomenon went away...

BrianM
03-11-2008, 06:30 PM
to me it seems... the 4 blade props hold speed more cosistent... had a 3 on my '93 maristar and had major problems setting a speed and holding it constant then changed to a 4 blade and that phenomenon went away...

Not true with the neww CNC 3 blade props. As said above call Eric at OJ and ask him to send you an XMP for your application or call Bill at Acme and ask him to send you one of theirs.

I think you will find that either of those manufacturers 3 blade CNCd props will outperform that Cutter 4 blade in every way.

russlars
03-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Call Bill @ ACME Props or Eric @ OJ Props. Both will be able to give you and unbiased and educated answer.
Does anybody have an e-mail for Bill at ACME props?
Or, what is his member name on TT?
Thanks!

stuartmcnair
03-12-2008, 03:45 PM
ejojprop@aol.com

east tx skier
03-12-2008, 03:46 PM
acmemarine.com is the website. Eric at OJ is a member here.

detonate69
03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
I went from a standard OJ 4 blade, to a CNC Acme 3 Blade and got better holeshot, better pulling consistency, holds a speed perfect, and only slightly lost top end because I pitched it lower for my ballast. Definitely a thumbs up from me for the Acme CNC 3 Blade props!

EJ OJPROP
03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Preface the following remarks with this is not a complaint or sour grapes that detonate is runninig an Acme just pointing something out;

This is a good example of an apples to oranges test. A propeller that is lower in pitch will provide a better holeshot and hold speed better, lower pitch equals higher RPM making it more difficult to pull the motor down, and run slower on the top end regardless of who made it. The trick is to improve the holeshot, especially with a heavily weighted boat, and maintain top end.

BrianM
03-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I will go a bit farther and say that comparing a forged prop to a CNCd prop is apples to oranges as well.

Bottom line is that there is a LOT that can be done with a prop and a LOT that can effect performance of your boat. Generalizations about 3 or 4 blade is nearlly impossible to make these days with the advances in prop building.

I'll give Eric at OJ and Acme for that matter a plug and say if you are still running an old forged prop do yourself a favor and call one or both of them and ask to give a new one a try. They are more than willing to let you try out a prop for your specific application to compare. Take them up on the offer to try as you have nothing to lose.