PDA

View Full Version : carpet which boat rests on.

fox-rod
03-11-2008, 01:14 PM
I was wondering where to get that carpet and what adhesive to use?
Are there any recommendations for the good stuff?:D

wakeX2wake
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
i'm thinking you can use just about any outdoor carpet... we replaced the carpet on a trailer of a friend's and we got it from lowe's and it was just grey outdoor carpet w/ a little pile... nothing too much or too coarse of course... easy to do w/ pressure treated 2x4s we just used outdoor carpet glue and bunch of staples on the bottom side

jimmer2880
03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Overtons, West Marine, etc all sell carpet just for boat bunks.

drbesvold1
03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
i just bought and recieved my bunk carpet from overtons and it looks really sharpe i havent put it on yet cause im getting the boat painted and then im going to redo my bunks with (2) 2x4's 12 ft long i was told not to use the same glue as you would in boat carpeting not sure how true that is but make sure you use stainless steel bolts

east tx skier
03-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Olefin marine carpet from Lowe's or home depot works well. It comes in wide cuts, but by the time you're done, you won't have much left. Cut one strip for the top of the bunk, then wrap another layer around and staple with stainless staples on the bottom. No glue necessary. Will just end up being a pain the next time you need to change the carpet.

quincyfirefighter
03-12-2008, 01:42 AM
I was wondering where to get that carpet and what adhesive to use?
Are there any recommendations for the good stuff?:D
You need to talk to Ric. ;) Ask him about the cutting board material that was used on his old trailer. :rolleyes:

fox-rod
03-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Olefin marine carpet from Lowe's or home depot works well. It comes in wide cuts, but by the time you're done, you won't have much left. Cut one strip for the top of the bunk, then wrap another layer around and staple with stainless staples on the bottom. No glue necessary. Will just end up being a pain the next time you need to change the carpet.

what do you mean by staple on the "bottom"?

do you staple through two layers on carpet into the wood?

wont the staple scratch the boat?

TMCNo1
03-13-2008, 07:47 PM
what do you mean by staple on the "bottom"?

do you staple through two layers on carpet into the wood?

wont the staple scratch the boat?

Underneath the bunk, opposite the side the boat sits on. Glue it first then secure it with s/s staples. I suggest 3M #76 Hi-Tac spray glue, spray on each surface, let dry and stick together like contact cement per the can instructions, then staple.

What kind of boat and trailer, just curious?

Tim2ski
04-04-2008, 04:24 PM
I have run across some other bunk options in Overton's. There are some products to put on the bunks to make them a little slicker i.e. easier to load. My concern was that because of the way I unload I was worried that the boat might actually slide off the trailer a little too easy once I got in the water.

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 04:32 PM
roll w/ what you know

Hollywood
04-04-2008, 04:36 PM
i just bought and recieved my bunk carpet from overtons and it looks really sharpe i havent put it on yet cause im getting the boat painted and then im going to redo my bunks with (2) 2x4's 12 ft long i was told not to use the same glue as you would in boat carpeting not sure how true that is but make sure you use stainless steel bolts

Why are you painting the boat???

Monte
04-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Why are you painting the boat???

Take a look a drvesbold's avitar. The boat was painted silver by the previous owner. The Silver paint had begun to chip BADLY.. I think it was a must have situation

JohnnyB
04-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Wrap the carpet around the bunks and use stainless or galvanized staples from the bottom.

Not a fan of the Olefin...that's what I used last time...seems a bit more abrasive and didn't wear well....replacing again this year and will use something from cabelas or overtons or ???

Let me know if you find someone with a good price...I'll look too.